Multiples

Multiples specific ?s for prenatal pediatrician visit

I'm not a super active poster, but I am a big lurker!! I hope you all don't mind if I ask for a little advice...I have my first interview with a local pediatrician next week. I have a list of the standard pediatrician interview questions, but I was wondering if there are any additional twin-related questions I should be asking. I was thinking I should be asking about experience and protocol with preemies (just in case) and office protocol for twin visits. Is there anything else you can think of? Any specific qualities you have found to be essential in your pediatrician? 

Thanks so much! 

TTC in 2009, Dx: Unexplained IF
Three TI cycles (BFP...miscarriage), five IUI attempts and 2.5 IVF cycles later...BFP!!
12dp5dt: 765; 15dp5dt: 1979; 17dp5dt: 3379...TWINS!!!!!
Our perfect baby boys were born at 36w1d!! 

Re: Multiples specific ?s for prenatal pediatrician visit

• I'm sure others will have good ideas for questions to ask. My advice is to really look at the office layout and how well you'll be able to navigate the office with a double stroller by yourself.

I did not pay attention to that, and I really, REALLY should have. My pedi's office is a weird half flight of stairs up from a little vestibule. I had noticed they had an elevator but not that it's TINY. I can't fit myself and the double stroller in the elevator. When I have to go by myself (I TRY to bring a 2nd adult but can't always...), the staff has to help me get the babies and stroller up the stairs. Honestly, it's such an issue that I've considered changing pedis, but I'm hoping it gets easier once they're walking.

TTC for 3 years. Finally successful after 5 IUIs and 2 cycles of IVF. Our amazing twins were born 5 weeks early on 8/16/11. Found out April 2012 that our di/di twins are ID.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • The navigation of the double stroller is a good point.

I guess I can't think of anything too twin specific.  Our pediatrician is a twin himself so he's quick to point out that we shouldn't compare the two too closely as far as development goes - if one is doing something it doesn't mean the other will be.  Of course I'm quick to point out that if they weren't twins I'd probably be comparing them to friend's kids that were the same age because that's what mom's do. 

One thing that's good at our dr's office is that they have seperate areas for ill appointments vs. well baby checks.  It is nerve wracking the first time you have to bring your little baby there with sick kids running around (especially if you've gotten used to the sterile NICU environment). 

Otherwise I'd suggest talking to other mom's and get their insight.  We lucked out, our pediatrician spoke at our 'baby care' class and we liked him - them found out we have family members that use him as well. Good luck!

*Siggy Warning*

About me  2007: Started TTC. 2008: OB prescribed clomid, went to RE and was Dx with PCOS. 2009: IUI #1 w/follitsim and trigger = BFP. B/G Twins born at 33 weeks. 2012: TTC #3, Round 2 of Letrozole w/TI = BFP, missed m/c at 8 1/2 wks. Currently on the bench as we make plans for a new home. Anxious to start TTC #3 within the next year!

• Loading the player...
  • imagefestivus:

I'm sure others will have good ideas for questions to ask. My advice is to really look at the office layout and how well you'll be able to navigate the office with a double stroller by yourself.

I did not pay attention to that, and I really, REALLY should have. My pedi's office is a weird half flight of stairs up from a little vestibule. I had noticed they had an elevator but not that it's TINY. I can't fit myself and the double stroller in the elevator. When I have to go by myself (I TRY to bring a 2nd adult but can't always...), the staff has to help me get the babies and stroller up the stairs. Honestly, it's such an issue that I've considered changing pedis, but I'm hoping it gets easier once they're walking.

This is actually really great advice.  I picked my ped based off of recommendations from friends and I really like them.  However, I never paid attention to the office until we had to bring in the twins.  The waiting room is too small for our stroller so we have to carry them which means both of us need to attend every sick and well visit (at least until they were able to walk).  There is only 1 exam room really big enough for the twins.  The other rooms are too small for 2 babies and 3 adults to be comfortable.  You should also ask how many multiples they treat in the practice.  How long do they book appointments for twins (make sure you have enough time to ask questions about each child).  Ask if any of the doctors have personal experience with multiples.  I love that one of the doctors has twins and the doctor who manages the practice is a grandfather to twins.  Ask how long the typical wait time is (you will have to entertain 2 in the waiting room).  If they have a sick and well room, ask what their practice is when a well twin accompanies a sick twin to an appointment.

U/S#1 showed 2 heartbeats! U/S#2 showed Baby A's heartbeat was 157 and Baby B 's heartbeat was 183! U/S#4 showed Baby A is a Boy (heartbeat 161) and Baby B is a Girl (heartbeat 159)!! Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We like that our pedi doesn't ever try to cram both kids into one appt slot. Their nurses do kid health history/concerns/etc separately for each kid, not both at once. We asked about Synagis shots, but it turned out that I carried them long enough that they didn't qualify. We made sure the Peri's had privileges at the hospital I would be delivering at, as well as the hospital that the kids would have been transferred to if they were born before 28 weeks (also the main children's hospital locally) .
    After 20 months TTC with PCOS, we were blessed with twins!
    They arrived at 36 weeks after PTL and bedrest for 14 weeks. Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    imageimage
  • Thank you do much for the suggestions! I would never have thought to think of some of the logistical stroller/ space issues. I really appreciate the input =).
    TTC in 2009, Dx: Unexplained IF
    Three TI cycles (BFP...miscarriage), five IUI attempts and 2.5 IVF cycles later...BFP!!
    12dp5dt: 765; 15dp5dt: 1979; 17dp5dt: 3379...TWINS!!!!!
    Our perfect baby boys were born at 36w1d!! 

• Ask about how easy or difficult it is to book back to back appointments.  If you are bringing two babies, and paying two copays, you should get two appointments.  I really like that my practice has always made it easy to get back to back appts.  Another thing I LOVE about our ped is that they have walk-in sick hours every day from 8-9, and on Saturdays and Sundays there is always one office from the practice open for emergency visits.  The walk-in hours are great for when you've had a baby up crying over an earache all night, etc.  
    Jenni ~~Alex & Avery ~~ 6/13/06~~Adam ~~3/26/08

• Not really twin specific, but if BFing is important try to ask questions to see how BFing friendly they are.  I've heard stories of some pediatricians being very insistent on switching to formula early on.

I asked about a delayed vaccination schedule if they were born premature and my doctor said that he would work with us to do whatever we want, but he recommends sticking to the schedule because if they're premature it would be even worse for their little bodies if they got one of the diseases that the vaccines prevent.

One thing to keep in mind that's given us a headache - our girls are on Zantac and they're both on the same dosage, same medicine.  For some reason our pediatrician just called in one prescription and had us share it.  I figured no problem, we'll work from the same bottle and just use different droppers.  Well then we finished the prescription in half the time and couldn't refill it.  I never considered that and had just thought it was fine to share the bottle (which it is), but make sure that you get a prescription for each baby even if they're on the same stuff.  He's also not great about calling the pharmacy when he ups their dosage (even though I remind him to), which also causes problems with refills.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Again this is not twin specific, but our first ped refused to prescribe zantac, even though A was projectile vomiting almost every feeding, arching his back and screaming.  Since he was gaining weight, he refused to consider medication.  Clearly he does not understand what it's like for a mother to see her baby in constant pain.  We talked to the other doc at the same practice over the phone and he put A on zantac right away after ruling out the serious pyloric stenosis and such.  We also had issues with a nurse practioner telling us completely opposite things that the doctor did.  If there are multiple providers at your office I would ask how closely they communicate with each other. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"