2nd Trimester

Thoughts on used pumps?

I see a lot of pumps for sale where moms have only used them for a couple months.  The savings are significant - 50% or more.  I know you can buy new tubing, flanges, etc. or just sterilize the current ones.  Would you buy a used breast pump?  Why or why not? 

DD 12/20/99, DS 12/14/12, M/C 9/2014, M/C 1/2015

Re: Thoughts on used pumps?

• I am using my sister's BP and she just said to buy new tubing for sanitary issues.  I would just get the new tubing and maybe the part that touches the breast replaced?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • So glad you asked that question! Two of my friends have really nice medella ones - both of them have offered them to me so all I have to do is replace the tubing.  But I'm kind skeptical because they are both a few years old (both of them have kids that are 3-4 now).  I kinda want to just start fresh with one of my own BUT it is significant cost savings as well.  So it's kinda one of those things that I'm still up in the air about.

• Loading the player...
  • I haven't done much research on it, but if you can get new tubing and it is a closed system, why not?  The IV pumps that we use at the hospital are not new for each patient. (but they do go through a deep cleaning/sterilization process) But we do use new tubing for each patient.  I don't see it as much different.
    image pregnancy calendar Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am using my cousins. I will get new tubes-it doeesnt bother me.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had a used PIS last time, I didn't die. 
    William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Excuse me if this is a stupid question - but is the Medela PIS a closed system??

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I got my used Ameda closed system at a mom to mom sale for $30, tubing cost $30, and I was all set.  I am going to get a newer one this time around, because the motors can wear out and not be as efficient.  Anything over 3yrs I would try to bypass. 

IAmPregnant Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • From friends or family, yes! A stranger off Craig's list, no!

However, I think I am going to rent from the hospital for a while to decide what I will really need.  

Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • If it were an Ameda or the old Lansinoh, I might consider it because they are closed systems.  I would not buy a used Medela, or any other open system where the milk has any contact with the machine itself.  

With an Ameda or Lansinoh, the milk is blocked from entering the tubing, so connecting new tubing/flanges to the machine has no risk of cross contamination with someone else's milk.  

With an open system, even if the machine had been "sanitized," I still wouldn't trust it. 

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
    BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
    BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
    BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
    Our little man is getting bigger every day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    My BFP Chart
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMrs.DeliaMarieP:

If it were an Ameda or the old Lansinoh, I might consider it because they are closed systems.  I would not buy a used Medela, or any other open system where the milk has any contact with the machine itself.  

With an Ameda or Lansinoh, the milk is blocked from entering the tubing, so connecting new tubing/flanges to the machine has no risk of cross contamination with someone else's milk.  

With an open system, even if the machine had been "sanitized," I still wouldn't trust it. 

This.  I agree completely.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I have a Medela I'm reusing. It's not a closed system but I honestly don't see how milk can or could get inside the machine at all. At most it got a few droplets of milk inside the tube where it meets the boobs and not even. I think by replacing the tubes it should be pretty safe, but that's my personal opinion. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'll be reusing my Ameda. Hopefully it will work out because I don't want to have to buy a new one.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wouldn't use used pumps. But I'm kinda a germaphobe.
    BabyName Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"