Military Families

Infertility in Japan

A quick background on DH and I: after two years of TTC unsuccessfully we saw an RE in San Diego (civilian). All of my tests as well as DH's SA came back with normal results. Just before we were to go ahead with our first IUI we got orders to Japan and decided not to go through with it since we would be PSC'ing within the next 60 days.

Fast forward two months later...we have been here (in Yokosuka) since the end of April and I am now wondering when the best time to see my primary doctor to ask about referrals is? I have never been to a military doctor before and now that my primary doctor is one here at the military hospital, I will have to see her for any referrals.

I don't know why but I have a fear that if I go in for my first appointment with her complaining about still not being pregnant and asking for help (i.e. a referral) I don't think she will take me seriously or help me in any way. :/

From what I've been told, we will have to be referred to someone out in town. Of course I am worried about the language barrier and what out of pocket costs we will have to incur. I have a friend that had a (successful) IUI at Balboa in San Diego and didn't have to pay for any of it. However the Tricare website reads that they do not cover any artificial insemination which I would assume would be both IUI and IVF.

I guess I have heard mixed stories on what Tricare will actually cover. Since all of my tests are in my medical record here in Japan, will I have to go through all of that testing again with a new doctor or will they be able to pick up where we left off?

TTC our first Navy baby! Me:27 DH:30, together since 8/2003, Married on 7/2006
9/26/10 stopped BCP and started TTC.
9/2011 referred to RE. All blood work normal and DH's SA=normal results
11/2011 HSG=both tubes clear
One natural (monitored) cycle of Clomid, 50mg 2/2012= BFN
Getting ready for first IUI, 3/2012 received orders to Japan! (postponed IUI)
5/2012 Moved to Japan, fought Tricare for months over referral (no fertility treatment on our military base) for Japanese RE out in town!
8/2012 Started seeing new RE
9/2012, post coital test= hostile cervical fluid, (finally) moving on with first IUI!
9/29/2012 IUI #1+trigger= BFN
10/27/2012 IUI #2+100mg Clomid CD5-9+trigger= BFN
11/28/2012 IUI #3+100mg Clomid CD5-9+trigger= BFN
12/28/2012 IUI#4+100mg Clomid CD5-9+trigger=BFN
2/1/2013 IUI#5+injectables+trigger=BFN
3/2013 IUI#6+injectables+trigger=???

Re: Infertility in Japan

• Don't be afraid to ask for a referral! If you got a referral before, there should be no reason why a new PCM wouldn't give you one. Just explain the situation to him or her. 

For my multiple IUIs, we had to pay for the sperm washing as well as thawing (we did IUI while my husband was deployed) and the total came to $240 each time. Without the thawing, the IUI cost about $120 - which is pretty standard for most REs I believe. My meds were covered but I go on post and there is a grant for meds. For my IVF cycle, I actually had to pay a copay for quite a few meds.

I hope you get things figured out soon and you get your BFP!  

TTC since 2007. Dx PCOS 6/2010
    4 unsuccessful rounds of Clomid
    Clomid 50mg - BFP #1 - February 7, 2010 Missed miscarriage March 25, 2010
    Clomid 100 mg - BFP #2 - October 28, 2010 Chemical pregnancy November 4, 2010
    IUI #1 - Gonal-F + Ovidrel = BFN
    IUI #2 - Femera + Gonal-F + Ovidrel + Endometrin = BFN
    IUI #3 - Gonal-F + Ovidrel + Endometrin = BFN
    IUI #4 - Gonal-F + Ovidrel + Endometrin = BFN
    IUI #5 - Menopur + Gonal-F + Ovidrel + Endometrin = BFN
    IVF #1 - Microdose Lupron Flare protocol = BFN
    FET = BFN - lost all remaining embryos
    IVF 2.0 - In progress. 20 retrieved. 16 mature. 10 fertilized with ICSI. 3, grade I embryos transferred, 7 made to freeze. Currently in the 2ww.
  • The party line from Tricare is that they will cover all infertility testing (blood, ultrasounds, HSG, SHG, etc) but not any treatment other than basic drugs (Clomid, Femara).  So no IVF, no IUI, and no injectibles.

That being said, there will be people saying that Tricare paid for everything including their Cristal champagne that they drank to celebrate their positive test.  THis has nothing to do with what Tricare covers and more to do with how their doctor billed Tricare (coding practices).  Sometimes these coding practices are unethical, and sometimes they are creative, but Tricare has a very black and white policy about not covering IF treatments.

Obviously the MTF programs (Balboa, WRAMC, etc) are different and have their own programs.  They do deeply discounted IVF and IUI and have grants to cover medications.  But this is different than when you get a referral to see a civilian RE and bill Tricare.  Don't confuse the two or compare them - it will make you crazy.

My DD is an IVF/ICSI baby.  We saw a civilian and did our testing under Tricare insurance with no problems.  When it came time for treatment, I switched to my employer's insurance because we were in Maryland with mandated IF coverage.

Honestly, the best luck I have seen with friends in order to get cheaper cycles is to ask for discounts and deals.  I have had a few friends get very good military discounts or multi cycle discounts just for asking.  This might not have success in Japan since they aren't going to be bleeding hearts for the US Military, but you can always ask :)

Good luck! 

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• Loading the player...
  • I also was stationed in San Diego with my husband going through fertility and am now in Japan (Okinawa). I would see your PCM asap and get a referal to OB/GYN as soon as possible too. I know here in Okinawa all they could do for me is the clomid so I had to go out in town. The doctor was american so it was no problem talking to him the staff for the most part only spoke Japanese. But it worked out. I was nervous about going out there at first but am glad I did.

Since I like you had all my records they just reviewed them and I took them with me to my appointment out in town 

I had to pay for everything up front in Yen and send in my claims to tricare. I got reimbursed for everything but the IUI itself. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Thanks all! It is really comforting to know that it can be done in another country and there are people that didn't have an awful experience like I expect it to be! The only thing is that DH is deploying soon so we will probably wait until he comes home to pursue the IUI route. I am wondering when the best time is to see my doctor and ask for the referral, trying to plan it out in time for his return home?

Hypothetically speaking, if he were to come back home in say, December, do you think I should see my doctor and request the referral in November, about a month before? That way the time it takes to get a referral, schedule an appointment with the doctor out in town and maybe go to the first appointment on my own without DH will be enough time for DH to be back?

TTC our first Navy baby! Me:27 DH:30, together since 8/2003, Married on 7/2006
    9/26/10 stopped BCP and started TTC.
    9/2011 referred to RE. All blood work normal and DH's SA=normal results
    11/2011 HSG=both tubes clear
    One natural (monitored) cycle of Clomid, 50mg 2/2012= BFN
    Getting ready for first IUI, 3/2012 received orders to Japan! (postponed IUI)
    5/2012 Moved to Japan, fought Tricare for months over referral (no fertility treatment on our military base) for Japanese RE out in town!
    8/2012 Started seeing new RE
    9/2012, post coital test= hostile cervical fluid, (finally) moving on with first IUI!
    9/29/2012 IUI #1+trigger= BFN
    10/27/2012 IUI #2+100mg Clomid CD5-9+trigger= BFN
    11/28/2012 IUI #3+100mg Clomid CD5-9+trigger= BFN
    12/28/2012 IUI#4+100mg Clomid CD5-9+trigger=BFN
    2/1/2013 IUI#5+injectables+trigger=BFN
    3/2013 IUI#6+injectables+trigger=???
  • I had to be refered from my PCM to OB/GYN  given your records they will do what they can for you there then you get the referral to the clinic out in town. Once I got the referral it took me a few months to get in to be seen with the doctor out in town.
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"