August 2012 Moms
Options

Babies born on full moon?

Have you guys heard this? Probably just an OWT but everyone keeps saying things like "better get those bags packed, Wednesday is a full moon and babies come on full moons." I kept laughing every time I heard it because it sounds ridiculous but my SIL said I should look it up. Sure enough Mr. Google had some interesting finds about the lunar cycle having a gravitational pull on our bodies or something (I'm totally butchering the info) and that since our body is 80% water so it can speed up the delivery process.

Im still side eyeing the full moon comments but just thought I'd share...just in case a bunch of us go into labor on Wednesday :)  

imageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: Babies born on full moon?

• Options
    DS was born on a full moon... along with 13 other babies that night. My small-ish hospital averages 4-5 a day, so it was definitely an interesting coincidence!

Proud Mama to cleft cutie <3
  • Options
    I just went and looked up when there was a full moon the year and month I had my DS and sure enough it was the night I had my bloody show and my water broke the next day (2 weeks early).  So I guess there is some truth to it!  I'd better be on the lookout this time too just in case! Lol
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm planning on it, haha! Although now that it's so close I don't think it will happen. I have a feeling baby's gonna hold out a bit longer.
    image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had a scheduled c/s with DD but the full moon was two days later and the delivery room was booming that night.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have heard of this and my co-workers grandbaby was hoping it was true since mom was past due already, but no such luck there.  But I think there's some truth to it. You probably have to be somewhat ready though, I imagine.

Mom of 2 monkeys and 1 on the way!
           Christian12/06, Liam 08/12, Monkey #3 10/10 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    As someone who used to work in that part of the hospital I can assure you, it's not just an owt.  I had always heard it had something to do with the atmospheric pressure or something like that, but the days leading up to and immediately following a full moon are usually busy baby delivering times as well.  1/2 of my FB friends work in nurseries/ l&d/post partum units and they are all complaining about how busy they are, and when we went for a hospital tour yesterday the nurse mentioned they were a lot busier than usual!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I've never heard of it, but I'll pray to the full moon for you Wednesday if you pray for me!!!! Haha :) 
    A12 Sig Challenge - Favorite Fall Show!
    SCANDAL!

• Options
    I hope this is the case for me ... I have been having contractions for weeks and nothing strong or consistant
    lolololo
  • Options
    I just looked up my DS1's birthdate and it was a full moon too - crazy! Maybe there will be a lot of babies born this Wed / Thurs! :)
  • Options
    JAWMINJAWMIN member
    I keep joking that I'm going to go into labor tomorrow. 1. I'll be 38 weeks which is when my water broke with ds. 2. The full moon. 

W (02/2009), N (08/2012), and C (04/2014)
  • Options
    There's another one on the 31st of August, so those of us that have due dates close to that may have a chance!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Full moon Is Thursday August 2 :) I have been hearing the same thing from people! I hope its true!! :)
  • Options
    My water broke with DD the morning after the full (super) moon last March!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagesamantha0513:
    I just looked up my DS1's birthdate and it was a full moon too - crazy! Maybe there will be a lot of babies born this Wed / Thurs! :)

I just did this too and 2/3 kids were born on a full moon too 

lolololo
  • Options

My MIL has been talking about this for weeks, she is convinced that this baby will be here Thursday or Friday.  I kind of want her to be wrong just because she has NOT been very nice lately, but at the same time I hope she is right I am READY!!!!

Edit: Getting on the birthing ball just to ensure that if she does come I can say it was because of me Big Smile

• Options
    We have about 75 head of beef cattle and when they are all getting close to calving we know it will be a busy night when a full moon is coming.  I know it sounds silly, but that is my experience.  I had a friend tell me also to watch the barometric pressure; if there is a significant drop it could also bring on baby!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    DS 1 was born on a full moon night and DS 2 was born the day after the full moon.. I'm scheduled to be induced on Thursday but maybe I'll go naturally tomorrow night! 
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options

My due date is tomorrow and it is the full moon so we'll see what happens. I'll keep you ladies posted lol

Of course, now that I am expecting it, nothing will happen of course!

Pregnancy Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Halloween tickers
  • Options
    I'm being induced tonight so LO will be here tomorrow - on the full moon - which goes along with her name: Luna. That wasn't intentional, but I think it'll make for a cute story later. That was my original EDD so it's not like I'm cheating the universe Wink
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I have always heard this is an OWT but my grandmother swore by it.   I always use the full moon to pick dates for Baby Pools.  I had thought it was on the 17th for some weird reason and then bam  two weeks ago I realized it was the 2nd and the 31st . . . that just seems too early and too late for me since my EDD is the 15th.    I will say though every baby pool that I have guessed using the full moon I have won! 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

imageSnow__White__Queen:
    I'm being induced tonight so LO will be here tomorrow - on the full moon - which goes along with her name: Luna. That wasn't intentional, but I think it'll make for a cute story later. That was my original EDD so it's not like I'm cheating the universe Wink

That is so cute! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicPhotobucket
  • Options

I've heard it before but personally have not experienced the joys of a full moon birth. 

Who knows?  Maybe we'll all be in labor tomorrow.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Yes, totally have heard of this!  I was actually a full moon baby and my mom swears this is what threw her into labor.  She said it was literally nothing, no dilation or anything, so they were talking about induction.  Then bam, that night (well 4am) water broke and I was born within 8 hours.

Apparently there was such an influx of women giving birth they were quadrupled per room and still some in the hall (granted this was a navy hospital, but still)...wow.

Happy thoughts to all! BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Holy peanuts, that would be awesome. I am soooooo ready!
  • Options
    imageSpruceGrouse:

imageSnow__White__Queen:

That is so cute! 

Aww thanks!  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    When my mom worked in a hospital she said they would schedule more staff on full moons because it would get crazy busy! Just the other day a coworker suggested I look up the moon cycle to know when the next full moon was just in case. I'm only 37 wks, so I doubt it, but it is interesting! 
  • Options
    Kasi80Kasi80 member
    Great now I'm going to over analyze every twitch expecting labor to start. 
    CRAFTY ME

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    my read shelf:
    Kasi's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    Well my fingers are crossed that it happens!! That would be perfect :)
  • Options
    It allegedly is a few days before and after, which seems pretty true looking at this board and how many births there have been. I had to take a trip to L&D yesterday and the midwife said there was some truth to it, and that they had already delivered 3 babies that morning, and it was only 1030 am.
  • Options
    A full moon is actually three nights long. 
    I make cute babies.

IMG_0872

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    Haven't read the other replies, but when I took my hospital tour I asked the ladies at the nurses station if it was true.  They said they are definitly busier when there is a full moon.  I've always wanted to avoid the full moon because I am afraid L&D will be full and they'll send me somewhere else!  It actually happened to a friend of mine.

DH and I married 8 years. Mom of three, stepmom of one.

• Options
    I know the full moon as well as rain can have an effect on labor in animals so I don't know why it wouldn't for people. There is no real scientific fact behind it but without fail we could go 2 weeks with no lambs and then the full moon would hit and we would have 5, or it would rain and we would have 8.
    Follow Me on Pinterest Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I vouch that we were always busier on the full moon days. But its not just obstetrics that deals with full moon issues. Psych departments are busier (people get weirder) and ER's are busier with psych patients.

Same thing with "sundowning". This is generally a term reserved for alzheimers patients who become combative, confused and generally uncooperative around the time the sun goes down (4-7pm). Babies and psych patients also sundown. Kinda weird. :)

TTC #3 since Feb 2014 DS 1: 2010 DS 2: 2012
  • Options
    steverstever member
    I've heard that a lot, but DS missed being born on a full moon when I was super pregnant so, in my case, it didn't work.
  • Options
    And just for fun... August has two full moons this year! One on the second and one on the 31st. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imageKasi80:

you took the words out of my mouth!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 16225_591499563778_1878407173_n
  • Options

imageKasi80:

This.  

Pregnancy Ticker BabyName Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"