Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Tell me about formula

DD has been EBF. I started pumping just a couple weeks before returning to work (should have done it sooner). After 2 weeks back, I accepted another position elsewhere. Then we visited family for 2 weeks and I started at the new job last week. Unfortunately I only pumped twice during the day last week since it was my first week and I was busy getting aquatinted, etc. Now I'm paying for it and have seen a drop in my supply. With only a few bags of milk left in the freezer and not being able to keep up now with DD's daily intake, I'm afraid we'll have to start using formula. This is very new to me, so please tell me anything I may need to know (brands, how to use it, what we need, etc.). Thanks!

Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Tell me about formula

• Options

If you haven't noticed any dairy or soy sensitivies in your DD, I'd started with a regular milk based formula.  Generics are fine.  I prefer powdered because it's the cheapest.  Just start with a small can in case she doesn't tolerate it. 

Some people use tap water, some use boiled tap water (obviously cooled before serving), and some use bottled water.  I won't even drink our tap water here, so I use bottled water (it's what my whole family drinks) when I have to supplement.  DS was FF, and I felt comfortable using our tap water because we were in a different city with better water.  If you have well water, I'd boil or buy bottled. 

Once mixed, powdered formula is good for 24 hours in the fridge.  Once it touches a baby's lips, it's good for 1 hour.  It's fine to mix breastmilk with formula, but I prefer not to. If DD doesn't finish a breast milk bottle, I can save it for later. With formula, you must treat the bottle like a 100% formula bottle and throw out anything not finished in an hour.

Once opened, a can or tub of powdered formula is good for one month.  I use right around a tub/month, so I date the tub with a Sharpie when I open it to make sure to throw out anything that's left after a month. 

Hilary
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options

imageLGLDVM:
    I agree with PP, except breast milk and formula are both only good for 1 hour once baby drinks from it, you can't put either back and reuse later. My babies went back and forth just fine until we went to just formula (I had very very low supply). Good luck!

I admit the practice is controversial, but I feel comfortable refrigerating a partially used breast milk bottle and offering it one more time at the next feeding.  If it is not consumed at that time, I will throw it out. 

See https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/milkstorage/reusing-expressedmilk/ for more info on both sides of the issue. 

Hilary
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

This is a pretty good article about some of the cons of formula.. yes it's  a lactavist article, but at least it tells the truth about it. https://www.lactivist.net/infant-formula-baby-milk-ingredients-additives-and-contamination-info/

Also, have you tried eating oats? Every time I eat cheerios I get really engorged. It helps with supply quite a bit. :)

• Options
    imagehilwithonelary:

imageLGLDVM:
    I agree with PP, except breast milk and formula are both only good for 1 hour once baby drinks from it, you can't put either back and reuse later. My babies went back and forth just fine until we went to just formula (I had very very low supply). Good luck!

I admit the practice is controversial, but I feel comfortable refrigerating a partially used breast milk bottle and offering it one more time at the next feeding.  If it is not consumed at that time, I will throw it out. 

See https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/milkstorage/reusing-expressedmilk/ for more info on both sides of the issue. 

This!  I breastfeed and also supplement with pumped milk and formula.  I always save breastmilk.  I put it in a clean bottle and put it back in the fridge for the next feeding.  I always smell it first before giving it to DD. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    salt78salt78 member

Of course there would have to be one sanctimommy in here to school us all on why formula is evil. ::eyeroll::

Everyone gave you good advice so far. If you really want to take the guess work out of making up bottles, I'd suggest ready-to-feed. It's a little more expensive, but so unbelievably convenient that I think it's worth it.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

Salty- c'mon I was waiting for it, shocked it was only the 4th or 5th post down. I expected it way sooner.  The only thing she missed was "OMG BREAST IS BEST" that would have sealed the deal.

Please OP- ignore the article that was posted it will only serve to make you "feel bad" about the choice you are making for your child. Just know, not everyone out there is a freakin' sanctimommy, some of us actually exist in the real world where we have REAL things to deal with and don't have time to tell YOU what's best for your baby.

Seriously some people need to GTFO.

• Options

Thanks everyone. You know, there's also some interesting articles out there about starving children. My intention is to keep pumping, but in the event I can't keep up... well, it's either get educated about other options or my daughter won't eat. So I think I'll choose food, no matter the type. :) Thanks again for the info, it is very helpful!

Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    imagePickyNikki:

Thanks everyone. You know, there's also some interesting articles out there about starving children. My intention is to keep pumping, but in the event I can't keep up... well, it's either get educated about other options or my daughter won't eat. So I think I'll choose food, no matter the type. :) Thanks again for the info, it is very helpful!

Very well said!

• Options
    Have you tried increasing your supply? I wasn't responding well to the pump when I first went back to work but now is much better. I pump 3x a day for 20 min and  eat oatmeal at least once a day. Also talk to dc and make sure you aren't sending too much milk. Lo was spitting up a lot, so I made smaller bottles. Ebf take about 25 oz a day. Good luck
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"