October 2012 Moms
Options

Essentials?

Since I'm not having a baby shower and this is our first baby, DH and I have to buy everything ourselves... We are trying to prioritize since I lost my job and we are currently covering multiple expenses for my inlaws... What are the things that we need for the first few weeks when baby comes home? (other than car seat and bassinet?)

Thanks ladies! ;) 

Married my best friend 09.18.11
TTC since 12.10.11, BFP #1 02.10.12
Baby E born 10/18/12. 8.5lbs and 21in of pure perfection!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My Blogging Endeavors:
Here Comes Mommy

Re: Essentials?

• Options
    CLLDLLCLLDLL member

clothes

a hat or two

3-4 receiving blankets

6-10 bottles if you plan to bottle feed

2-4 pacifiers if you plan to use them

dipaers, wipes, diaper rash cream

vasoline or A&D cream if you are having a boy & plan to circumcise

2-4 towels

4-6 washcloths

baby shampoo

lotion (I like Cetaphil or Eucerin)

bulb syringe - they might give this to you in the hospital

2 thermometers (one rectal, one not) and KY jelly to use for the rectal therm

nail clippers/scissors/file

brush and/or comb

some place safe to put baby while you shower/eat/etc.  (So like a bouncy seat, rock-n-play, pack-n-play or even just a blanket to lay on the floor if you don't have pets.)

image imageimageimage

• Options

Obviously diapers, wipes

onesies, sleepers

Diaper cream, infant Tylenol and gas drops

Baby wash and lotion 

Some receiving blankets. A swaddler blanket is useful

Two sets of sheets, and mattress protectors.

Pacifier

Nursing pads and nipple cream for you if you are BFing 

Id recommend having some sort of seat to put baby in while you are cooking, showering, etc. the let expensive option would probably be a bouncer.  

Not much else is really necessary. The rest you can buy as you need it or maybe people will offer to buy you gifts since you are not having a shower.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry you have been dealt such crappy circumstances. My frist piece of advice is, see if there is a crisis pregnancy center in your area, these kinds of places can help with diapers and clothes even some baby gear and such. Also, try second hand stores, Craigslist and garage sales for cheap finds. 

All of that being said all you REALLLLY need is a car seat, somewhere for baby to sleep, a few onesies and sleepers/outfits, a few swaddling blankets and maybe a heavier blanket depending on your climate, boobs or formula and a few bottles & bottle brush, diapers & wipes and somewhere to bathe the baby. I would also suggest a swing, stroller or baby carrier (depending on your lifestyle), a baby healthcare kit with nail clippers, a bulb syringe, burp cloths (you can use a few extra receiving blankets), a baby hat. I am sure I could think of a million other things but you don't really NEED all of the gear they sell at Babies R Us. Good luck! 

Oct Angel Babies Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers image image
  • Options
    I can't speak to what's essential and what's not (first time mom here myself), but check your local paper and Craigslist for both garage sale listings and used baby items. I have found some otherwise expensive things in amazingly great shape from garage sales alone. Lots of people get gifts for their babies that their baby may not like or didn't use much (especially swings, bouncers, CLOTHES, towels, even furniture) so they end up getting sold in nearly-new condition. With some things you have to be cautious about expirations dates and potential recalls, but for the most part, used is the way to save a ton. Good luck!! :-)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"