Cloth Diapering
Options

Cloth diapering & day care?

My husband and I really love the idea (and savings) of cloth diapering... Wondering how many of you have your baby in day care? If so, what diapers are you using and does your provider find them difficult to use? TIA! 

Re: Cloth diapering & day care?

• Options

DD was in daycare for a month while I finished teaching for the school year. I used pockets and AIOs. We pre-stuffed the pockets and there wasn't an issue at all. With aplix it is basically the same as a disposable.  (We mostly use BG 4.0 and Freetime)

Our DC provider didn't unstuff or anything, and just put the used diapers in a wetbag for us to take care of each day. It is totally doable!!  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    --Formerly FamiliaGreen--
    C&D-05.28.11 Noelle Marie-03.12.12 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I use pre-stuffed pockets with snaps and cloth wipes. No complaints. Diapers come back folded up in a wetbag and I unstuff and rinse every night.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    *LrCg**LrCg* member

We've had 2 sitters and both had never even seen a CD before.  Neither of them had issues.  At first we sent our Sandy's snap diapers (requires a cover) and then would pack 1-2 prefolds "just in case" she ran out of our fitted diapers.  However, very quickly they just started using the prefolds and actually prefer the PF to the fitted diapers.  We also never asked them to flush poop so all they had to do was change the diaper and put in the bag.  Also, we use baby wash cloths for wipes and they found that much easier too then disposable wipes since everything was right there.  Like us, they would just put a container of water by the changing table to use. 

Also, I wanted to add although neither had a problem with them, one of our DCP actually recommended them to people because she actually felt they were easier than disposables and would brag to people how our kids were PT at 17 & 15 months old.  She said if her kids were still in diapers, she would have switched.

• Options
    We have an family daycare and they had never done cding before. I showed her how easy it was and now she is a convert. We send 5 BG's and a wetbag each day. She just puts them in the wetbag when she changes. She does prefer the aplix to snaps so I try to save those for dc. Many centers accept cding it is actually more common than you know.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

We initially approached two DCPs - one was a bit skeptical, but was willing to try the diapers out. Once I showed her an example of the diapers (a pocket with velcro), she was totally on board. I think many DCPs who are hesitant are just not familiar with modern cloth diapers!

Our current DCP has absolutely no problem with cloth diapers, in fact she loves how cute they are and she has commented on how awesome it is that DD has never ever had a blowout with them - as opposed to the other kids in her care where she has to deal with blowouts on an almost daily basis (they all use sposies). She does prefer velcro to snaps, but will use snaps too.

I send 6 pre-stuffed pockets (mostly BGs) each day, along with pre-moistened cloth wipes and CD safe diaper cream (I notice if I don't send this along, they will sometimes use non-CD safe cream on her, even though I've told them that they don't need to apply cream at every change like with sposies). Oh and a wetbag. They put the dirty diapers in the wetbag and I deal with the poop at home.

It sounds daunting at first, but it's actually super easy once you're doing it. Love my CDs! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

DD goes to my mom during the day.  Mom is used to the old-school diapers and pins and disposables, and was skeptical about cloth.  We use Thirsties products - a mix of Duo Diapers, All-in-one's, and Fab Fitted with covers - and since they are already stuffed when she gets them, she's found them super easy to use.  They look complicated at first because of the snaps on the rise and the aplix, but once we showed her how it worked (and that they were assembled and ready to use) she was good to go.  She just takes one off and replaces with another, just like a disposable. 

ETA - we send a wetbag every day with 6-8 diapers and 2-3 outfits (she's drooling like crazy right now), and she just throws all the dirty things in that bag throughout the day.  We just toss them in the pail at home and wash like normal.  When she starts solids, we may have to readjust.

Gabriel Ross - August 24, 2009 * Vivienne Rose - May 1, 2012

My Blog

• Options
    We also use pre-stuffed aplix pockets (Kawaii, specifically) and our dayhome has no problem with it. She hasn't had a kid in cloth before, but she was willing to try it and hasn't mentioned it since we started.
  • Options

Thanks, ladies! Appreciate the feed back & am so happy to hear you all have had such success with providers using CDs. :) we love the obvious benefits of cloth & will likely go that route! Day care was my only concern & now I feel much better! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"