December 2012 Moms
Options

Crib mattresses?!

So the crib is assembled and now comes the task of shopping for a matress. There are so many. I read consumer reports and they just suggest a firm brand new mattress. There are organic, soybean, etc. but from what I have found all are certified. I mean I don't personally think its wise to spend nearly more on a mattress than the crib itself? Any input or suggestions?
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Crib mattresses?!

• Options
    mlangsmlangs member

I went through this yesterday. I was shopping online.

It was a nightmare!

I don't want a super cheap one or one that costs an arm and a leg. I think I finally decided on one at target that had pretty good reviews. I really want to go touch it though.

Here is one that was highly recommended from Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Moonlight-Slumber-Dreamer-Firmness-Mattress/dp/B003XT43MG/ref=sr_1_5?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1343752056&sr=1-5&keywords=crib+mattress

here is what I am thinking about at target

https://www-secure.target.com/p/simmons-kids-slumber-time-naturally-mattress/-/A-13933684

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I read up on some of the top brands, etc. and also read consumer reports. They say to safest is brand new of course and firm matresses. They don't specify brand or anything but that firm is the best then I found sealy, simmons, etc. were top rated brands.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Do you have Baby Bargains?  They have 3 specific ones they rated well (good, better, best).  I don't have the book on me now but I can post them later.
  • Options

I did a lot of research when I was pg with DS, and I chose to go with the Colgate foam mattress that has a firm side and a "soft" side.  Every time I have to change that mattress I appreciate the fact that I bought it (and lately that's a lot- darn potty training).  It only weighs about 8 lbs, but is extremely sturdy, so it is easy to change without breaking your back, but will hold up.  It also has a waterproof plastic outer, so it's easy to clean when needed, but it hasn't fallen apart at all or ripped, and will still be in excellent, perfect condition for this baby.  DS is almost three, and we have been using it all along. 

ETA:  I believe we got this one, I know it has two choices for firmness, and it's antibacterial.

https://colgatekids.com/store/products/classica-iii-dual-zone/

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
    BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
    BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
    BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
    Our little man is getting bigger every day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    My BFP Chart
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

You definitely don't need to spend a lot on a mattress. $80-120 is plenty! We used Baby Bargains to help find out the best mattresses for LO1, and we chose an extra firm Serta. I think it was $85 on Walmart.com.

Any mattress will be fine as long as it is new and extra firm. The risk of SIDS increases the softer the mattress is.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I had a sealy with DS and it was great. I hope to get the same one this time. I think it was 119. DH's aunt recommended it. I sold ALL of my baby stuff about a year ago though, all the medical experts said I couldn't conceive again.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I did so much research on crib mattresses with DD and ended up buying a naturepedic mattress. I then bought a second one for DS and will buy another for this LO. While they are a bit more than most you'll find in stores, I think they are worth it. They are organic, super firm, high quality and most of all very safe. I would recommend them to anyone!
    m/c March 2009 @ 5 weeks ~ m/c June 2009 @ 10 weeks ~ m/c February 2012 @ 4.5 weeks Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagejquirke9881:
    Do you have Baby Bargains?  They have 3 specific ones they rated well (good, better, best).  I don't have the book on me now but I can post them later.

The Baby Bargains recs are:

Good- Sealy Soybean Foam-Core

Better- Moonlight Slumber's Little Dreamer

Best- Naturepedic's Organic Cotton  

There are others in the book that got "A" ratings.  We're going with the Sealy Soybean Foam-Core.  

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagejsoubel:

imagejquirke9881:

There are others in the book that got "A" ratings.  We're going with the Sealy Soybean Foam-Core.  

Thanks for posting!  We are going with the Sealy soybean as well.  I forget what I have for my oldr daughter but it is whatever was rec'd by Baby Bargains in 2010.

• Options

imagejquirke9881:

I was going to say the exact same thing - and I don't have my book on me either. Darn!

BabyFetus TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagejquirke9881:
    imagejsoubel:

imagejquirke9881:

Thanks for posting!  We are going with the Sealy soybean as well.  I forget what I have for my oldr daughter but it is whatever was rec'd by Baby Bargains in 2010.

That's what we are buying too! 

BFP#1 2/18/2011, EDD 10/18/2011, natural m/c 2/28/2011 @ 7 weeks
    BFP#2 5/28/2011, EDD 2/1/2012, chemical pg
    BFP#3 10/22/2011, EDD 6/30/2012, natural m/c 11/3/2011 @ 6 weeks
    BFP#4 4/16/2012, EDD 12/24/2012, Beta #1 23 @ 10dpo, Beta #2 68 @ 12dpo, Beta #3 370 @ 16dpo, Saw baby and heartbeat on 5/11/2012.

It's a boy!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. I just went and bought a baby book forgot I worked in a mall with a book store.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We are going with the Naturepedic. They are made right in out backyard, which is an added bonus to an already great mattress.

• Options
    We are going with the Sealy Soy foam one, I wanted something natural, and not super expensive, it seemed like the best balance.
  • Options

As PP's have said, Naturepedic is a really nice mattress. Yes, it's more spendy, but worth it for the peace of mind IMO for the organic. If you want to know WHY organic is safer in my mind, read on...

I have done research on SIDS on my own, as an aside to a residency project I was working on. I can't understand why more people don't question the use of fire retardant chemicals in our babies' mattresses. Fewer children die in fires than do to SIDS, even after the CDC narrowed the definition of SIDS after the Back to Sleep program was started, which of course made the numbers "go down". I have read that if you take this into account, the numbers haven't changed. Sorry, parents of America, I didn't mean to say that we as a society don't have the answer and that if you just stick to this rule it won't happen to your child. Because that would be unthinkable.

A very plausible reason for SIDS could be that fire retardant chemicals, specifically polybrominated diphenyl ethers or pBDE's, plus common mold spores, produces toxic gas.

The theory has been out there for a while. Why doesn't it get paid any attention? How powerful ARE the chemical companies, exactly?

Mold is found more commonly in mattresses that would have spent time in basements between children, or was handed down, etc. It's no wonder then that SIDS is more common in lower income families with multiple children.

::Steps off soap box::

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagebloomraiser:
    Your soap box speeches are appreciated! Is the "organic" label the (only) way to avoid hazardous chemicals?

Here's a website with the fewest plugs on it that I could find: https://tlc.howstuffworks.com/home/eco-friendly-crib-mattress.htm

It suggests untreated cotton (which usually means organic), natural latex, or a combo of the two. If it is wrapped in wool, that's also good because wool is a natural fire retardant.

Sheesh, it also gives more info on how the formaldehyde and toluene are in some mattresses, too. (irritants and neurotoxins...) It pays to know what you are buying!

...Of course, if you have carpeting or upholstered furniture in your home, etc, this stuff is in your home already. But, if the surface the baby sleeps on is as pure as possible, that's something....

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"