Nurseries and Baby Gear

k'tan vs mei tai

I know lots of you ladies love moby wraps. I am trying to like the looks of it, but after watching demo videos on youtube, I still feel like I want something less complicated (even though I'm sure the moby would get easier to use with practice).

So I was thinking of either the baby k'tan or the mei tai. My main desire for the wrap is to use it during the newborn stage, as I'm getting a hand-me-down Ergo that I think we'll use when baby is bigger. But I definitely want more of a wrap style for the first few months, as it looks more snuggly for baby and less bulky (compared to the Ergo) for me to wear around the house. I want something easy for me to put on by myself, when DH is at work. Obviously, I want something that I feel baby is secure in.

I don't know if this makes a difference between the two, but I am a short and petite person, so want something that fits me well. I realize the k'tan is ordered to size, and that's totally fine as I'm not envisioning DH baby wearing while LO is a newborn.  

So k'tan or mei tai? Or other recommendations that would meet my needs of something easy and snuggly for a newborn? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: k'tan vs mei tai

• I have a moby and a mei tai and a Beco (like an Ergo) and they all serve different purposes to me. The Moby is more snuggly for the newborn stage and very secure, you put them in sideways in one side and it is so secure. I felt safe wearing my few-day-old in it. The mei tai is great and snuggly for once they're a little older and have some head control since it isn't as snug against their head, but it's still nice and snuggly. The Beco we aren't using yet, we tried but it just didn't feel right with my LO, maybe once she gets older. So if it were me I'd get a K'tan and a mei tai. The k'tan is better for when they're a little newborn, the mei tai is better (imo) for when they get older (b/c it is easier/faster to put on and more comfortable for long wears as they get heavier since it's less stretchy).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • You can definitely get more use long-term out of the mei tai, but like you said you're just looking for something for the newborn period. I think the k'tan would probably be better for just that purpose. Also, you'll be due in the winter & the fabric does get a little warm but you probably won't mind since it will be so cold out. I've never personally used a k'tan, but I've seen them in action & it does look like a slightly pre-wrapped moby so that's what I'm basing it on.

We have plenty of options over here for carrying, but I've never liked ergos personally. I know tons of people love them though. We mostly used wraps 0-4ish months, mei tai 4+ months (though you could use for NB), & then kinderpack/ssc beyond maybe 7 or 8m. I used ring slings throughout. Carriers get addictive! I love them each for different situations or depending how we're feeling that day. FWIW, MH has a couple carriers & I can count on one hand the number of times he's worn DS. The ergo should fit you both though.

DS1- Jan 2011
    DS2- Sept 2012
    M/C- Sept 2011

2u2!
  • Loading the player...
  • ADORE my k'tan!! I can't wait to use it with this new baby (I didn't have it until DS was a couple months). It's super easy to put on and I I wore him for a long time.
  • imagefyziksgirl:
    I have a moby and a mei tai and a Beco (like an Ergo) and they all serve different purposes to me. The Moby is more snuggly for the newborn stage and very secure, you put them in sideways in one side and it is so secure. I felt safe wearing my few-day-old in it. The mei tai is great and snuggly for once they're a little older and have some head control since it isn't as snug against their head, but it's still nice and snuggly. The Beco we aren't using yet, we tried but it just didn't feel right with my LO, maybe once she gets older. So if it were me I'd get a K'tan and a mei tai. The k'tan is better for when they're a little newborn, the mei tai is better (imo) for when they get older (b/c it is easier/faster to put on and more comfortable for long wears as they get heavier since it's less stretchy).

I should add, I wish I had gotten a k'tan instead of my moby, it is a pain to wrap no matter what anyone says and that prevents me from using it. Yes, I'm fast at it now, but it's still a pain! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • If you're looking for just the newborn stage, I'd get the K'tan. I have a Moby and a Beco, and I actually really want a mei tai too (to me it's kind of the best of both between a wrap and a SSC).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"