February 2012 Moms

Does it affect your sleep

when other people spend the night?

DH's family is very close.  His parents live 20 min away and SIL and her family live 20 min away in the other direction, but frequently (especially before LO) we would all spend the night at his parents house and play games, watch movies, have dinner, etc.  It's always been a lot of fun.

Lately there have been a couple of times where MIL and FIL have asked to spend the night, and DH feels like he wants to be able to return the favor whenever they ask.  I told him I understand, but with DD waking up frequently I sleep SO LIGHTLY when someone else is sleeping over because I don't want them to wake up to her.

Last time the spent the night (which was like... last week) I was EXHAUSTED the next day.  MIL commented on it and I told her that I was tired, and that I just don't sleep as well when people spend the night.  She said not to worry about it when they sleep over, they don't mind.  I explained that I understand that, but that it still affects my sleep.

(This is getting long, sorry)

Fast forward to today, BIL needs to spend the night Friday because he can't drive and is going to a party near our house.  No big deal, I understand.  MIL and FIL are going to drive him back to school the next day.  

DH gets a call asking if MIL and FIL can spend the night too so they can drive him in the morning. 

Looks like no sleep for me on Friday night... -.-

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: Does it affect your sleep

• My inlaws are staying with us now and we'll be going on about 2 weeks when they leave. It's driving me nuts to have other people in the house! They're staying in our living room, which is right off my bedroom, and I hear the TV blaring all night, the snoring and my MIL's oxygen machine running. Like you, I sleep lightly as is because of Eli, but it's worse now that they are here. I just want my peaceful house back!
    January2014 Blog ** Admin to the January 2014 FB group!
  • imagejldubb0626:
    My inlaws are staying with us now and we'll be going on about 2 weeks when they leave. It's driving me nuts to have other people in the house! They're staying in our living room, which is right off my bedroom, and I hear the TV blaring all night, the snoring and my MIL's oxygen machine running. Like you, I sleep lightly as is because of Eli, but it's worse now that they are here. I just want my peaceful house back!

I don't know what I'd do if it was two weeks straight... Yikes! 

• Loading the player...
  • imageStarbuck128:

It would probably bother me if they were making noise too. I'm such a b!tch that I wouldn't care if Cody woke anyone up. It's the price of choosing to sleep in a house with a baby. 

I'm just confused about why everyone stays at everyone else's house if they live just 20 minutes away. The shortest trip out of the house for me requires at least 30 minutes of driving. 20/40 minutes is nothing. 

I don't get it either.  It used to be for fun and play, but not so much anymore. 

• MIL and FIL only live 20 minutes away. Why spend the night.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers BFP # 1 - June 2nd, 2011 - EDD Feb 5, 2012 Birthday Feb 10, 2012 BFP # 2 - Jan 19, 2012 - EDD Sept 24, 2013 - CP Jan 24, 2012
  • I hate it when people spend the night. The only person who doesn't bother me is my mom, because she is helpful, and is fantastic with J. Everyone else just adds more work. 

I have apparently offended my dad several times (he tells my mother, to whom he is no longer married, but does not tell me) by telling him he can come visit, but for various reasons cannot spend the night. He wants to do this pretty often, and I just can't stand it. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yes, it definitely affects my sleep.  And I also feel like I need to go soothe L if she makes even one peep... even though I know she is perfectly capable of putting herself back to sleep if she babbles or fusses for a few minutes. But I don't want our guests to wake up (the guestroom is right next to the nursery upstairs... and we are downstairs)... I was screwing w/ her sleep by going and grabbing her immediately.

The last guests we had (my parents, so really, no big deal), I just had to explain that I can't go get her every time she makes a peep or else she'll wake up all night wanting to party.  It ended up being fine and they never heard her at all... but I still slept like crap. 

11 months old! #andintoeverything
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"