Baby Names

Girl name help

It's an old family tradition that the oldest girl names her oldest girl Mary Catherine, but I can't decide if I want to keep that going.  If we did choose Mary Catherine, we would call her Mary Kate, since each Mary Catherine already goes by a different nn.

If we don't use Mary Catherine, we're playing with the idea of using the traditional Irish forms of the names, switched around, and would go with Caitlin Maura. 

I think I really like Caitlin, but I worry that that name is too much for a little girl and wouldn't translate for an adult.  What do you guys think?

TIA!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Girl name help

• I like Mary Catherine better than Catlin Maura.

that being said, Caitlin Maura is fine as well.

if you are open to moving things around... what about Catherine Mary?   there seems to be more nicknames for Catherine than for Mary and I generally like Catherine more than Mary so would select that as a 1st name myself versus Mary.

• I like it! Break tradition and do your own thing! :)
  • Loading the player...
  • If you don't like Mary Catherine, don't use it. I personally hate the name Mary because it means bitter.

I see no point in trying to come up with a different form of the name. If you are not going to use Mary Catherine, don't try to come up with some version of it...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our family has a similar tradition, but with the middle name Marie. I know it is just a middle name but I do not like it, not even as my own middle name. Sometimes traditions need to be broken. I think there are a lot of variations of Mary and Katherine if you wanted to still honor the name but with something different.  I like Maura and Caitlin is ok. Not sure how I feel about them together.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My first point is that I think Mary Catherine is a beautiful name.

However, I LOVE the idea of 'tweeking' family traditions. I don't even think you should change the order of the names...I think Maura Kate would be soooo pretty, and I think it flows better than Caitlin Maura.

Now, as someone who is 24 years old, I grew up with about 50 billion Caitlin/Katelyn/Kaytlyn/Katelynne's. I feel like a baby named Caitlin born now will be like someone in my generation being named Nancy or Lisa. It's not that it's a bad name - it's just that it was REALLY trendy 10-20 years ago. Keep that in mind!

Anniversary
    Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!
  • LoCarbLoCarb member
    I prefer Caitlin Maura and think sp Caitlin is more grown-up.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagejustAphase:
    Honestly, I'm not crazy about either name. I think Mary Kate is fine, but I don't really care for Mary on its own. 

I agree with this- really dislike Mary and Caitlin. 

• I like Mary Catherine, I'm big on 2 part Mary names these days, but I can see how it would be confusing.

I don't care much for Maura, but I like Mary Caitlin.  

Or maybe make up a new Mary name with another name you like.  I love Mary Fiona and Mary Agnes right now.

Or smoosh the two into Maureen and use it as a MN, with a new FN of your choosing.

Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"