Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Anyone have LO who has been tested for kidney reflux?

DD just got her first UTI and it was a pretty bad one.  Pedi said that in kids under 4 years old they test for kidney reflux after the first UTI.

She is having an ultrasound and the catheter/dye/xray test as well.

If your LO as had this test, were they sedated (even lightly) for the catheter portion of the test?  

DD has already been catheterized twice, but it was quick.   

Owen - January 2009 Image and video hosting by TinyPic Owen is a big brother!!! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone have LO who has been tested for kidney reflux?

• Options

Ours was done when my DD was 2 months old. They didn't sedate her at all and luckily she barely cried. We dipped her pacifier in sugar water to help calm her down. I would hate to have it done now because she's so much more aware of what's going on. For the actual X-ray she was strapped down to a board that they could rotate. I don't want to scare you, but just prepare you. I was mot prepared for that  i also thought she would be sedated and she wasnt. It was much harder on us than her but again she was only 2 months old. We went to a childrens hospital so they were really great at what they were doing. 

Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My LO was 2 weeks old when he had it done. He was born with  a growth of his bellybutton, so they wanted to do the test to check his urine flow and in the process discovered he has kidney reflux, so it was a blessing in disguise.

The procedure was rough, but bear in mind it was only 2 weeks post partum, so I had the baby blues hard core and was a blubbery mess! He was not sedated at all, but i don't think the cathedarization was what made him cry; he didn't like when they steralized him and strapped him down (and made me leave the room Crying ) But at his last urologist appt. they had to cathedarize him for a urine sample and he barely even noticed!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

My LO was 2 weeks old when he had it done. He was born with  a growth of his bellybutton, so they wanted to do the test to check his urine flow and in the process discovered he has kidney reflux, so it was a blessing in disguise.

The procedure was rough, but bear in mind it was only 2 weeks post partum, so I had the baby blues hard core and was a blubbery mess! He was not sedated at all, but i don't think the cathedarization was what made him cry; he didn't like when they steralized him and strapped him down (and made me leave the room Crying ) But at his last urologist appt. they had to cathedarize him for a urine sample and he barely even noticed!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"