Breastfeeding
Options

Guilt about quitting

I breastfed exclusively for 8 months and pumped as a working mom.  My baby is just over 10 months old now and I've still been nursing in the mornings and evenings. I am giving it up because I'm just not producing enough milk for her at this point and I hate to think that I'm leaving her hungry.  I feel soooo guilty for stopping though. I can't stop thinking that I made the wrong choice. Has anyone else had trouble keeping your milk supply for just a morning and evening nursing?

Re: Guilt about quitting

• Options

I started morning & evening nursing only at 5 months & just now at 7 months have had my supply start to suffer.  I'm kind of on the fence right now if I continue nursing & still have to bottle feed to finish off a feeding.  I think I'm going to start weaning & switch to only bottle feeding.  I really struggled with this decision for a few weeks, but am ready now to switch over.

Congrats on making it to 10 months! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    mookemooke member
    I quit pumping at 6 months and I've made it 4 more months before noticing my milk supply diminishing.   I've had to supplement with bottles too occasionally and now I'm just nervous that I'm not giving her enough through nursing.  It's frustrating not knowing if I should supplement with a bottle or wondering if she got enough.  I too struggled very much with giving up the nursing.  The farther along you get, the harder it is to give it up!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I have been nursing for just mornings and evenings for about 2 weeks now.  My supply has definitely tanked.  I know that DS is getting something while nursing, but I highly doubt that it is a full meal.  This evening he nursed and then drank the 4 oz of formula that I offered.

I'm really ok with it though.  I am surprised how calmly I am accepting the weaning.  He is not bothered by it, so I'm not going to be. I'm so proud of myself for pumping at work for as long as I did.  Now our nursing is just our special cuddling time, and that's good enough for me.

DS 11.24.11
    MMC 3.30.16
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"