Natural Birth
Options

Would you ever even *consider* having your 3 yo at the birth?

I'll preface this by saying that having my 3.5 yo son at the birth of his sister is absolutely not my ideal.  In fact, my mom is flying down 5 days before my due date specifically to watch DS.  However, in the event that I go into labor early, I don't have a good back up plan.  DH and I have no family here (we're military), and we can't think of any friends whom we feel completely comfortable leaving DS with.  We don't have a regular sitter because we have never left DS with anyone other than family.  (That's obviously a different story, but it is what it is, and it generally works for us.) 

This will be my 2nd natural hospital birth.  DS was born in a less than natural birth friendly hospital with an OB I had never met, but I still did it.  This time, I'm birthing with a midwife in a very NB friendly environment, and I'm super excited!  

The only real solution I can think in the event that I go into labor before my mom gets here is to have DH and DS come to the hospital with me.  When I'm doing well, they can both be in the room, and if DS gets overwhelmed or things get a little scary (I received supplemental O2 with DS, and I think the mask, for example, would scare him), then they can head out to the waiting room.  When it comes time to push, I don't know what I would want, but I *think* I would be OK with DH and DS at my head, if they're OK with it.  Again, this is far from my ideal.  I want DS happily at home with my mom when I'm in the hospital, but I feel like I need a plan B, just in case.  Just for the record, I was very calm all through DS's labor, breathing deeply between contractions and resting as much as possible between them, so DS wouldn't be exposed to any crazy noises or screaming or anything like that. 

Also, as much as I don't want to be laboring in the hospital alone, I'd rather put DS's comfort above my own, and DH agrees with me.  He says he's OK if he misses the birth because he is attending to DS.  With my first labor, I wanted to be alone for most of it.  I sent DH to work when I was already in active labor and didn't call him to come home until 6 hours later when I needed to go to the hospital.  (I was at 8cm when I was checked in triage.)  DH was present at the hospital, of course, and I really appreciated his being there for support, although I asked him not to do any "coaching" and to basically leave me alone unless I requested his help.  Which I didn't.  So as much as I don't want to birth alone, I know that I could, and I would rather birth alone (that is, with DH in the waiting room or elsewhere with DS) than be worrying about DS the entire time.

Opinions?  Is it an awful idea to even consider having DS at the hospital?  Do you think he would be traumatized if he were present for the labor and birth?  Or do you think I am 100% insane for wanting him there even if it means that he and DH could end up outside and me alone?  If you've had your children attend your other births, how old were they at the time, and how did they do?

Natural hospital birthing, babywearing, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, Baby Led Weaning, milk donating, extended breastfeeding, fully vaxing, extended rear facing SAHM to:
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Would you ever even *consider* having your 3 yo at the birth?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"