Toddlers: 24 Months+

antibiotic causing bursts of energy?

DS has pink eye in both eyes, and a double ear infection. He hasn't really complained, and I finally took him to the doctor today because the eye gunk was getting worse, and his eyes were starting to get red. The only indication I even had was when he woke up at 5 this morning and wanted to be soothed.

So he had his first dose of amoxicillin-clavulanate this evening, which is supposed to treat both the ear infections and the pink eye. Within a half hour, he was literally running laps, panting like a dog (what he does when he gets really excited), flailing his arms, etc. This is unusual behavior for him. It's 9:43 pm and while he's in his crib, there's no sleep in sight, I fear.

Has anyone else experienced this with antibiotics? Normal? Unusual?  

ETA: The antibiotic combo is also called Augmentin 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: antibiotic causing bursts of energy?

• This is not a common side effect and I would call the pedi.  You may need to switch to a different antibiotic.
  • Augmentin turns my DS into a wild, incoherent beast. The first time it happened was really scary. He was running around like a maniac and jumbling words and acting confused. Not at all like himself. I called our pedi, who kind of made me feel like the crazy one, but he agreed to switch the antibiotic and DS went back to his normal self. Part of me thought maybe it was just a coincidence. But then, we went overseas and DS got an ear infection. I took him to a local doctor and, due to some language barriers, he received Augmentin again. I didn't realize it until he had had two doses and was acting like a total lunatic again. I've searched google for info about this and have found nothing but I'm convinced that it's the Augmentin. I have to admit that I am relieved to hear that my son is not the only one who had this reaction. Anyway, I'd call your pedi and ask for a different antibiotic. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"