December 2010 Moms
Options

Kitchen-toys for boys?

Hey. My LO is having a blast with both dolls, strollers and pretend-food. I would have no problem with him having a play-kitchen - my HB however is more reluctant (did I use it rigth) to let boys have "girl-toys".. What do you think?[Poll]
<3 Cathrine 24 from Norway - Mommy and Married <3

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Maternity tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickersDaisypath Graduation tickers

Re: Kitchen-toys for boys?

• Options
    Little Tikes makes a toy grill. Maybe he would be okay with that?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    C's absolute favorite toys are his kitchen and kitchen related things. :-)

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    They make 'modern' style kitchens with the stainless steel and they are more neutral colors rather than the pink and purple kitchens. EI recommended us to get one for the boys since they don't do too much imaginative play. We are also going to get a play grill as well since they love to watch DH on the back deck when he is grilling.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I teach K and the kitchen is very popular with boys and girls. I mean, men can cook, too, right? There are more male chefs than female chefs. Your husband is being silly. Smile
  • Options

DH and I are looking to get DS a play kitchen.  He was playing with one at Ikea and at a friend's house and was having lots of fun.  I don't really understand how it could be considered a girls-only thing =) 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    lrn327lrn327 member

Oh, I'm glad you posted this because we're going to Ikea on Thursday to get our new play kitchen!!!  Ugh, I mean, Christian's new play kitchen.... Wink

At least in the US, they just lowered the price from $138 to $99 so I'm so glad we waited.  They have tons of really nice play food and dishes too.  We have a few pieces already but will be so happy to have somewhere to store them.  I had to work on my DH a bit but glad he's on board now.  The older classes at my son's DC have them and they are the most popular thing in the rooms.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We don't have a play-kitchen yet because we just don't have the space for large toys, but I am sure DS would love one. He pretends to feed and rock his stuffed animals all the time.

All the men in my husband's side of the family are awesome cooks (which is good because I'm terrible), so I am sure DS will be learning to cook as soon as he's big enough to stand at the counter.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMugPhoto & Video Sharing by SmugMug

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    We don't have a play kitchen, but it's definitely one of the first toys that DS gravitates toward when we're at someone else's house.  I agree with pp...most of the famous chefs in the world are men.  And I'll bet they got their start with a play kitchen!  Stick out tongue

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    My son would love a kitchen! I think we are going to get him one for Christmas.  I believe in buying gender neutral colors (i.e. not pink) for all genders, haha. I would never buy a girl a pink kitchen...I think it sends the message that this pink toy is only for you, it's your job to cook and clean! Barf!
    photo IMG_6758_zps3fe7e628.jpg
  • Options
    My boys both love the play kitchen!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

I voted for sure it's fine to have a play kitchen.

DS doesn't have an actual play kitchen, but he loves to play with pots, bowls, spatulas, wooden spoons, etc. He also likes to take his sippy cup & try to pour it into other containers & then mixes it up. He'll even blow on the spoons as if they're hot & he needs to cool it off, lol.

• Options
    Rink08Rink08 member
    Both of my older boys love their toy kitchen. We buy new foods for it every once in a while to change things up. We have a Step2 kitchen that is brown, dark red, and off white so it's not "girly". I plan on making the kids aprons and chef hats eventually.
  • Options
    We got this one when the trio were 18 mo. they still play with it...and now so does Jericho. It has taken a beating, but held up well against 4 rowdy kiddos. There is nothing wrong with boys playing anything a girl would play with. https://www.walmart.com/ip/KidKraft-Grand-Gourmet-Corner-Kitchen-Play-Set/12167771
    photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
  • Options
    kj07kj07 member

It's funny the things that suddenly become 'the line in the sand' for people.  My H is okay with crossing traditional gender roles.  But when I brought home a pink polo shirt (from the boy's section) for B to wear, my H freaked out.  It's okay for B to play with dolls and kitchens, but wearing pink is over the line...  Like I said, weird.

Anyway, early on we bought B this little kitchen when he was about 6 months old.  He's mostly outgrown it now, but he loved it for the longest time.  I'd love to get him a larger play kitchen, but our space is very limited.

photo 8653f130-7264-42f4-8d67-9a73d64cacce_zps8c973e49.jpg

BFP #1 4/14/10. Big B born 12/28/10.

BFP #2 5/27/12. EDD 2/1/13. m/c and D&C 6/21/12.
  • Options
    imagebosha711:

I voted for sure it's fine to have a play kitchen.

DS doesn't have an actual play kitchen, but he loves to play with pots, bowls, spatulas, wooden spoons, etc. He also likes to take his sippy cup & try to pour it into other containers & then mixes it up. He'll even blow on the spoons as if they're hot & he needs to cool it off, lol.

He's like this..

• Options

• Options

We don't have one, but I think all toys are for everyone.  Nate has dolls and such to play with now.  I've been "pinning" all sorts of DIY kitchens on pinterest and I hoped to make him one for his 2nd birthday.  Now, I'm pregnant and will be huge by then, but maybe I'll still drag out the jigsaw and paint if my DH won't have a heart attack!  I'm the "handy-man"  in our house, so if it's going to get done, it will have to be me.

Edit:  I read more, and saw you had a DIY link.  Here's my pin board for the DIY kitchens!  I'm really excited about making one someday!

https://pinterest.com/pitterpatter129/diy-play-kitchens/

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"