Baby Showers
Options

UPDATE: Starting to panic

Hey ladies! Just wanted to follow up & tell you how the shower went.

I really lucked out with the weather. It was maybe 85 & a bit cloudy so the sun wasn't too hot. At times there was even a nice breeze! It was really a family reunion.DH & I did not know a handful of people but they were nice to meet! 95% of the peole there were not notified it was a shower and they were mortified they came empty handed. There were about 40 people there total, maybe 10 brought a gift. I was shocked that a few people we didn't know brought a gift but two of DH's brothers didn't bother. One of which is expecting their third child & have a HUGE registry. Obviously, I am happy to receive anything! Almost every one of those gifts were a cute outfit for LO. He has some clothes now. :-) Other than that, I have to shop like crazy this week to make sure I atleast get the swing, bassinet, moniter, etc. I know baby doesn't need much but I still need what he will use.

The part that made me laugh was MIL asked me to come open gifts about an hour after the party started. She said a bunch of people were trying to get out of there....so I sat down to open the gifts. At the same time she started yelling to DH's family to get together & take some family pictures. So as I was opening the gifts, most of the guests were grouped up on the other side of the park taking group photos. The other half of them were playing horse shoes about a mile away. lol. It was a bit awkward. MIL kept saying " You're going to have to show me what you got later". Um ok....or you could have done pictures before or after you insited I opened the gifts.

Moral of the story, I have learned to follow my gut feeling. I also learned that MIL can be something else! DH was a little upset that this was supposed to be about celebrating his first son but was actually treated as a full on family reunion. He ended up bringing the decorations he picked out & he was glad he did because there was none there. I wasn't sure what to say when he was venting how BIL 1 & 2 didn't bother bringing anything. He was really hurt. He also mentioned his mother should have let my Aunt plan this party so it was a shower "like most women get". I just said that it was a nice day & we can celebrate more with people we choose once DS is here next week! In the meantime, we need to just focus on what we need & get it. I am lucky I have a DH that wants noting but for me to feel loved & appreciated. He really is a great guy.....I am looking forward to my son meeting his daddy next week ( or when he decides to join us :-) )! Thank you to those who commented on the other post & gave me your thoughts!

Re: UPDATE: Starting to panic

• Options
    I am glad this all worked out for you. FWIW, I would be embarrassed to show up to a shower with no gift because I wasn't informed. 
    Oct Angel Babies Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers image image
  • Options

I would too. I would also be embarrassed to be BIL's & their SO's that didn't bring anything. As I am going through my list of thank you's, I can't believe some of the people there that didn't gift or even acknowledge what we were there for. Like people very close to DH. I guess they came for the free food, beer, & horseshoes?!

One of the people that did bring a gift was an aunt that DH has not seen or spoken to in 20+ years. Yet the brother he is closest to, couldn't be bothered. I am shocked his girlfrend of a few years didn't grab one from them. We just went to her son's (not BIL's son) birthday party a week ago & brought a nice present. BUT I guess to each his own.....this is an odd family to say the least! I know it's not all about gifts, I am happy anyone came to celebrate with us, I just wish they knew that's what they were coming for instead of thinking it was a reunion. MIL planned the date around when the NY family members could come, then more than half didn't show. That made me LOL. My entire family was just down two weeks ago & would have been more than happy to come. Those were all that couln't make it ue to the last minute notice! We plan to have a small meet the baby with them & the friends that never received an invite.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Even though you don't register for a meet the baby I'm sure people will cal lto ask what you need.  Be sure to have a list handy.  lol  Hope you have time to get everythnig you need before delivery!
  • Options

It sounds like you handled it very graciously, so you did the right thing. Now, the fun part! Good luck with the delivery!

• Options
    imageBabyCarryingVessel:

It sounds like you handled it very graciously, so you did the right thing. Now, the fun part! Good luck with the delivery!

Thank you! I tried very hard to just smile although I was swallowing back the tears. Besides feeling panicked, it was very odd to have a baby shower without my mother there or any of my family. I do appreciate those who came (well, those who knew they were coming to a baby shower lol) & who were nice enough to bring a gift. I ordered the bassinet & swing I wanted & picked up the other stuff so I should have the basics for when we first get home. I can go back to the store after I heal a bit from the c-section! One week from tomorrow my little man will be here Big Smile

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"