November 2012 Moms

Using a dog to prop up an infant on FB!

A FB friend put a picture up today of her dog proping up her 3 week old like a boppy on their bed... WTF is wrong with people?!?!?!

I have and LOVE my dogs, but I have no delusions about the fact that they are still unpredictable. It would take half a second for someone to ring their doorbell and that dog would jump up so fast and send that poor baby flying or trample all over her.

I don't care if it was for 5 seconds just to take a picture, this is a very stupid thing to do, IMO.

*Edited to change title for clarity

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Using a dog to prop up an infant on FB!

• I agree with you, dogs are very unpredictable! It's great that the dog seems to be handling the new family member very well, but that does sound so unsafe.
  • It's a bigger dog too! Probably atleast 60lbs!
  • Loading the player...
  • I've caught myself side eyeing some friends on FB for what they post like:

A new FTM posted a video of her 6 day old "rolling over" well.. Of course he's rolling over, he is screaming crying flapping his little arms for someone to pick him up! 

Another friend posted a pic of her on a bike with her two year old in the baby seat behind her, NO HELMETS! What the hell? 

oa1
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

? Voted Cool Cat ~ 2012 Sweetpea Mom Awards ?

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • milescmilesc member

I don't see an issue with it. 

I have tons of pictures of my DD with my 100+lb German Shepherd

::shrug shoulders::

To each, their own  

Those who don't believe in love at first sight, have never given birth
    Big sister meeting little brother for the first time-
    <a href="http://s326.photobucket.com/albums/k409/YellowMiles/?action=view
  • I will definitely allow our child to be super cuddly with our dog. He's 60 pounds as well. I probably wouldn't do it as young as 3 weeks though. It's hard to say though, I may end up doing that anyway. Whenever I think of Finn (baby) and Bailey (dog) cuddling, I imagine him as a 6 month old baby, who can support himself and what not.

It depends on the situation. Babies are tougher than you would think. 

• milescmilesc member
    imageNericole:

I will definitely allow our child to be super cuddly with our dog. He's 60 pounds as well. I probably wouldn't do it as young as 3 weeks though. It's hard to say though, I may end up doing that anyway. Whenever I think of Finn (baby) and Bailey (dog) cuddling, I imagine him as a 6 month old baby, who can support himself and what not.

I did this (obviously)- I wanted Oscar (dog) to know and accept DD Wayy before she was mobile, pulling his hair, and stealing his toys.

They are the best of friends 

• imageNericole:
    I will definitely allow our child to be super cuddly with our dog. He's 60 pounds as well. I probably wouldn't do it as young as 3 weeks though! That seems pretty dangerous. Whenever I think of Finn (baby) and Bailey (dog) cuddling, I imagine him as a 6 month old baby, who can support himself and what not.

Exactly. I have a 70lb lab. My kid will will play with our dog too. However I don't think what this chick was doing was safe. The baby can't even hold her own head up and she was already really awkwardly propped against the dog. And I know the dog. It's a very jumpy dog.

I wouldn't trust my lab to not jump up if startled, no matter how good she is with the baby.

• imagemilesc:
    imageNericole:

I will definitely allow our child to be super cuddly with our dog. He's 60 pounds as well. I probably wouldn't do it as young as 3 weeks though. It's hard to say though, I may end up doing that anyway. Whenever I think of Finn (baby) and Bailey (dog) cuddling, I imagine him as a 6 month old baby, who can support himself and what not.

I did this (obviously)- I wanted Oscar (dog) to know and accept DD Wayy before she was mobile, pulling his hair, and stealing his toys.

You probably need to see the pic. They are up on a bed close to the edge. You have a dog, so I know that you know if someone rings a doorbell or there is a strange noise (or whatever the trigger is for your dog) it will jump up and go to investigate. I really think that if this happened, given the situation in the picture, the baby would end up on the floor. I just don't see how that is safe. It has nothing to do with the baby interacting with the dog.

• I think "to each their own" on this too.

I mean, three weeks is young, but when I put myself in her shoes the scenario went something like this: Dot (dog) laying down, and LO cuddled up against her, with me right next to them both...

I think I'd be thrilled to pieces that they both enjoyed eachother so much... obviously, my dogs won't be a babysitter or guardian and I wouldn't walk away if that was the scenario, but... being right there, I wouldn't mind it.

Butttttt I know our personal situation. No, it wouldn't be okay with a stranger's dog, nor would it be okay with someone else's baby, or my dog and my baby if I or DH weren't there.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• milescmilesc member
    imagekaileyc:
    imagemilesc:
    imageNericole:

You probably need to see the pic. They are up on a bed close to the edge. You have a dog, so I know that you know if someone rings a doorbell or there is a strange noise (or whatever the trigger is for your dog) it will jump up and go to investigate. I really think that if this happened, given the situation in the picture, the baby would end up on the floor. I just don't see how that is safe. It has nothing to do with the baby interacting with the dog.

I took this post as you complaining that the baby was interacting with a large dog at such a young age.  I missed the part of dog/baby being on the bed for the picture in your OP, my bad. 

Carry on 

• milescmilesc member
    imagerachael_c26:

I think I'd be thrilled to pieces that they both enjoyed eachother so much... obviously, my dogs won't be a babysitter or guardian and I wouldn't walk away if that was the scenario, but... being right there, I wouldn't mind it.

Butttttt I know our personal situation. No, it wouldn't be okay with a stranger's dog, nor would it be okay with someone else's baby, or my dog and my baby if I or DH weren't there.

Yes 

• imagekaileyc:
    imagemilesc:
    imageNericole:

Yeh... maybe I needed this information in the first place...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I will most definitely take a picture like this with our geriatric 75lb Boxer.  I won't let my Boxer be sole guardian of our baby, but I trust him with the world :-)
  • imagemilesc:

To each, their own  

Ditto

• imagekaileyc:
    imagemilesc:
    imageNericole:

Oh yeah. Close to the edge is a no go! That's crazy.

• imagemilesc:

To each, their own  

This.  I think it depends on the dog and the level of trust you have with them.  Our dog is VERY dependable and not at all unpredictable.  When we say Stay, he stays until we tell him to move.  I'm sure a hurricane could come through our living room and he wouldn't budge.  He is that good, and we know that.  So I would trust him to do this.  

Someone else's dog that we didn't know though, I could totally see your point.   

Josh + Meagan 06.12.10/Baby J 11.8.12

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I think we are too quick to judge others for what we perceive as bad parenting. We aren't in their shoes, we don't know their exact situation, and although we may think we know and understand all of the circumstances, we do not. You know their dog according to how it acts around you. You don't know the dog based on how it acts with only the owners home. Not ever dog, protective or not, jumps up everytime the doorbell rings. My Great Pyrenees, who is very protective of her property and her 'flock' (us), doesn't jump every time the door bell rings. Every dog is different, and acts differently with different people around. We see other mothers in the grocery store and conclude that they are being too angry with her kids, or she isn't spanking them enough, or she gives them too much of what they want, or doesn't give them enough of the 'fun stuff'. We see moms on the playground and conclude that one is a 'helicopter parent' and needs to back off, while another is sitting on the bench reading a book or using her phone, and she needs to be watching her kids more closely. We see a mom walking down the street and judge how their kids are dressed, how she is dressed, the tone of voice she is using, the equipment she is using, how she controls or doesn't control her children... If you couldn't tell, I'm really tired of the constant judgements. And I used to be guilty,and occasionally find myself heading in the direction. There are things other parents do that I would never do. I would never prop my baby in those weird positions for those pictures where they crop out the adults hands that are propping the baby..I would never leave my baby to cry it out in a crib in the bedroom next door, I would never just blindly follow the CDC recommended vaccine schedule, I would never submit to an unnecessary c-section, and I can't imagine ever putting my children back in public school (except for extreme circumstances in which it really is the only possible thing). But other moms do these things, and it's not up to me to judge them or what decisions they make that they feel are best for their family or are acceptable. I was on a horse before I able to sit up as a newborn. Horses are unpredictable. But I grew up around a lot of people who were sitting on the back of the horse before they could walk. I don't have a horse, and certainly am not around one that I trust well enough to put my baby, or even any of my children (8, 5, and 4) on. But my mom put me on a horse that was really kind of crazy (this wasn't exactly a calm trail/pleasure/kid horse...he was a barrel horse that really needed someone to take him and his attitude down just a notch with a lot of training), and I survived just fine with no injuries.
  • imageAHomebirthMama:
    I think we are too quick to judge others for what we perceive as bad parenting. We aren't in their shoes, we don't know their exact situation, and although we may think we know and understand all of the circumstances, we do not. You know their dog according to how it acts around you. You don't know the dog based on how it acts with only the owners home. Not ever dog, protective or not, jumps up everytime the doorbell rings. My Great Pyrenees, who is very protective of her property and her 'flock' (us), doesn't jump every time the door bell rings. Every dog is different, and acts differently with different people around. We see other mothers in the grocery store and conclude that they are being too angry with her kids, or she isn't spanking them enough, or she gives them too much of what they want, or doesn't give them enough of the 'fun stuff'. We see moms on the playground and conclude that one is a 'helicopter parent' and needs to back off, while another is sitting on the bench reading a book or using her phone, and she needs to be watching her kids more closely. We see a mom walking down the street and judge how their kids are dressed, how she is dressed, the tone of voice she is using, the equipment she is using, how she controls or doesn't control her children... If you couldn't tell, I'm really tired of the constant judgements. And I used to be guilty,and occasionally find myself heading in the direction. There are things other parents do that I would never do. I would never prop my baby in those weird positions for those pictures where they crop out the adults hands that are propping the baby..I would never leave my baby to cry it out in a crib in the bedroom next door, I would never just blindly follow the CDC recommended vaccine schedule, I would never submit to an unnecessary c-section, and I can't imagine ever putting my children back in public school (except for extreme circumstances in which it really is the only possible thing). But other moms do these things, and it's not up to me to judge them or what decisions they make that they feel are best for their family or are acceptable. I was on a horse before I able to sit up as a newborn. Horses are unpredictable. But I grew up around a lot of people who were sitting on the back of the horse before they could walk. I don't have a horse, and certainly am not around one that I trust well enough to put my baby, or even any of my children (8, 5, and 4) on. But my mom put me on a horse that was really kind of crazy (this wasn't exactly a calm trail/pleasure/kid horse...he was a barrel horse that really needed someone to take him and his attitude down just a notch with a lot of training), and I survived just fine with no injuries.

tl;dr

BFP #1- 11/7/10 ~EDD 7/20/11 ~M/C (bo) 12/6/10 @ 8wks ~Missing my Little Firework

BFP #2- 9/11/11 ~EDD 5/25/12 ~M/C (mmc10w)11/4/11 @ 11wks ~Missing my May Flower

BFP #3- 02/21/12 ~EDD 11/1/12  Audrey Lee Born 11/4/2012

BFP #4 ~EDD 6/20/14 stick baby stick!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• imageAHomebirthMama:
    I think we are too quick to judge others for what we perceive as bad parenting. We aren't in their shoes, we don't know their exact situation, and although we may think we know and understand all of the circumstances, we do not. You know their dog according to how it acts around you. You don't know the dog based on how it acts with only the owners home. Not ever dog, protective or not, jumps up everytime the doorbell rings. My Great Pyrenees, who is very protective of her property and her 'flock' (us), doesn't jump every time the door bell rings. Every dog is different, and acts differently with different people around. We see other mothers in the grocery store and conclude that they are being too angry with her kids, or she isn't spanking them enough, or she gives them too much of what they want, or doesn't give them enough of the 'fun stuff'. We see moms on the playground and conclude that one is a 'helicopter parent' and needs to back off, while another is sitting on the bench reading a book or using her phone, and she needs to be watching her kids more closely. We see a mom walking down the street and judge how their kids are dressed, how she is dressed, the tone of voice she is using, the equipment she is using, how she controls or doesn't control her children... If you couldn't tell, I'm really tired of the constant judgements. And I used to be guilty,and occasionally find myself heading in the direction. There are things other parents do that I would never do. I would never prop my baby in those weird positions for those pictures where they crop out the adults hands that are propping the baby..I would never leave my baby to cry it out in a crib in the bedroom next door, I would never just blindly follow the CDC recommended vaccine schedule, I would never submit to an unnecessary c-section, and I can't imagine ever putting my children back in public school (except for extreme circumstances in which it really is the only possible thing). But other moms do these things, and it's not up to me to judge them or what decisions they make that they feel are best for their family or are acceptable. I was on a horse before I able to sit up as a newborn. Horses are unpredictable. But I grew up around a lot of people who were sitting on the back of the horse before they could walk. I don't have a horse, and certainly am not around one that I trust well enough to put my baby, or even any of my children (8, 5, and 4) on. But my mom put me on a horse that was really kind of crazy (this wasn't exactly a calm trail/pleasure/kid horse...he was a barrel horse that really needed someone to take him and his attitude down just a notch with a lot of training), and I survived just fine with no injuries.

V|V TSP V|V
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageQuintonsMummah:

imageAHomebirthMama:

I see your O and raise you THIS:

Now I have two awesome GIFs together.

BFP #1- 11/7/10 ~EDD 7/20/11 ~M/C (bo) 12/6/10 @ 8wks ~Missing my Little Firework

BFP #2- 9/11/11 ~EDD 5/25/12 ~M/C (mmc10w)11/4/11 @ 11wks ~Missing my May Flower

• imageMandJS:
    imageBarooGirl:
    imageQuintonsMummah:

imageAHomebirthMama:

I see your O and raise you THIS:

Now I have two awesome GIFs together.

I see your dancing men and raise you a table full of My Little Ponies.

SCORE!

Now we have 3 GIFs of awesomeness

• Of course....thanks for trying to incite drama. Message boards are not chat rooms, and sometimes responses are long. Perhaps I should have gone back, edited, and rearranged my response into paragraphs. This morning, I was in a hurry. It's too bad you didn't read it, though. You probably spent more time trying to find the 'perfect' snarky GIF to respond with than you would have spent reading what I wrote, and perhaps you would have been able to respond with something insightful.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"