October 2012 Moms

S/O Question for all

If you don't have an ultrasound towards the end, how does the doctor know the position of the baby?  And how do a lot of people on this board know how big their baby is?

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: S/O Question for all

• The dr can tell babys position by feeling your belly and they estimate by fundal height which is not the most accurate way to determine size. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Usually doctor's know the position of the baby because towards the end of your pregnancy you get the internal check.  The doc can feel the baby's head if they are in the right position.  If it doesn't feel right I think most doctors issue an ultra sound check.  As for the baby weight, I think my doctor goes by how big the belly is.  Right now I'm growing at a good rate and according to my doctor she can start to estimate the baby's weight now.  She said we could have up to a 7 pound baby at the moment, but this may change as we progress.
    image BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Wally3Wally3 member
    FOr ds#! ob thought he was not head down when my waterbotke and did a quick in office u/s and saw he was head down.  I'm high risk so I get regular u/s this time around so they use that for position and size estimate.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • imagequeenie521:
    The dr can tell babys position by feeling your belly and they estimate by fundal height which is not the most accurate way to determine size. 
    This. At my appt today the OB could feel the feet & head to determine LO's position.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• When I got to the hospital with DS, I had an internal check done and they thought he was face up. I had 3 nurses check, then the doc, then they went ahead and did a quick u/s in the delivery room. Sure enough he was face up so we spent the next several hours trying to turn him. Nothing worked and he was born face up.
    boots badgePhotobucket BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • They can determine the baby's position by feeling the baby on the outside.  As you get closer to your due date, they can feel the baby's head low in your abdomen/pelvis (if baby is head down).  Like everyone else has said, they can also feel the baby's head with the internal checks.  At the hospital where I work, we do a quick u/s (just to see the baby's head) on almost everyone when they come in in labor to double-check that the baby is head-down, but it's not always necessary.

As far as guessing at the size of the baby, that can be done with an ultrasound or just by feeling your belly and the baby and basically guessing (based on all of the other babies your doctor has felt).  Both ways are pretty bad at estimating baby's weight once it is born - actually, there have been studies to show that a second-time mom's guess at the baby's weight is actually the most accurate! (vs. doctor's estimate or u/s) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"