January 2013 Moms
Options

Layin on your back

Alright so I need a lil help.  I've looked on google and just everywhere I swear. 

Why is it bad to lay on you're back during regnancy? I've read one site says it can cut off the circulation to your legs, another that it's fine up till like a later week. X.x So what is it? Thanks in advanced<3 

Re: Layin on your back

• Options

I actually just asked about this at my OB appointment this morning (I am an avid back sleeper) and she said the following:

1. It tends to not be an issue until after 20-24 weeks.

2. You will be able to tell when it's become a problem because you'll have a harder time breathing when lying on your back.

3. It's optimal to sleep on your left side for maximum circulation. Lying on your back once you get bigger (24+ weeks) can reduce blood flow to various parts of the body because of the size/weight of the uterus pushing down.

4. However, if you wake up on your back, it's not the end of the world.

Hope this helps! GL 

imageimageimage
    26 years old, married since June 2009, DS born 1/19/13
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Dear Baby Pacheco...
  • Options
    I also cannot figure out if this applies to my soft mattress or just for doing floor exercises (on a much firmer surface). I find it very relaxing to lie down on m bed on my back, I usually fall asleep this way then roll to my side.
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagelaurapacheco:

I actually just asked about this at my OB appointment this morning (I am an avid back sleeper) and she said the following:

2. You will be able to tell when it's become a problem because you'll have a harder time breathing when lying on your back.

3. It's optimal to sleep on your left side for maximum circulation. Lying on your back once you get bigger (24+ weeks) can reduce blood flow to various parts of the body because of the size/weight of the uterus pushing down.

Hope this helps! GL 

This made me feel better. I always wake up on my back and then think I'm choking or suffocating my baby somehow. My back is so comfortable!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I have been trying to lay on my side, but I wake up multiple times in the middle of the night on my back. I NEVER used to sleep on my back before I was pregnant so it's strange that I do it now. I scared that I'm harming the baby!

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Alright thanks a ton. :) I find my back has been the most comfortable since becoming pregnant, before I mostly slept on my side. I just didn't want to hurt the baby cuz a lil while ago someone mentioned layin on your back could cut circulation off to the baby. 
  • Options

Ditto laura.

If it is a problem (and it may not be one for you) your body will tell you. 

FWIW I slept on my back through my entire first pregnancy. I couldnt sleep on my sides because it aggravated my heartburn (and throwing up isnt conducive to a good night's sleep :p ). My son was fine :)

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• Options

Laying on your back can compress your vena cava. Vena cava is a vein that follows along your spine that brings blood from your legs back to your heart. This can affect circulation though your body (which includes blood flow towards your uterus). 

https://drlindagalloway.wordpress.com/2011/07/13/dr-linda-cares-should-pregnant-women-sleep-on-their-left-side/

https://www.babycenter.com/406_is-it-safe-to-sleep-on-my-back-during-pregnancy_1245287.bc

BabyFetus Ticker

Birth is safe as life gets - Harriette Hartigan

• Options
    Kie310Kie310 member
    My OB has told me it's fine. If my body thinks I shouldn't it will let me know.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I try to stay on my side, but even with a snoogle I've woken up on my back and find that my hand or leg on one side of my body has gone kind of numb- I'm thinking that is why I shouldn't be on my back... But it's so hard to avoid sometimes.
  • Options
    imagelaurapacheco:

Hope this helps! GL 

Exactly all of this, I was sleeping on my side every night and my hips got all out of joint so I asked my doctor and he said you can sleep on your back as long as you are comfortable. When the baby is larger you may wake up with tingling in your fingers and feel lightheaded but that was your body's way of telling you, "hey wake up and switch to your side!".  

Henry Cavill...You're welcome!

BFP #3: EDD 1/10/13 **DS born 12/30/12!!!**
    BFP #2: MC 7/2/11 @ 12 weeks
    **Missing our February '12 LoveBug**
    BFP #1: MMC discovered on 12/6/10

Anniversary

• Options
    Yikes i've been wondering the same thing i will try to sleep on my left side more i will be 20wks in just 3wks from now so i'm gonna have to get used to sleeping on my left side! i am a stomach sleeper so that hard to break but i am trying!
  • Options
    Don't worry about it.  Your body will tell you when its time to roll over.  Its not going to hurt the baby, it will get uncomfortable for you before that happens.
    William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
  • Options

This made me feel better. I always wake up on my back and then think I'm choking or suffocating my baby somehow. My back is so comfortable!

The baby is not breathing yet, you cannot choke or suffocate them.

William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
  • Options
    nattnnattn member

My doctor doesn't worry about it until after 20 weeks. She said not to panic if I wake up on my back, but to really avoid sleeping on my back. She recommended that I put a pillow under my back if I continually wake up on my back later in pregnancy.

Just so everyone knows, your body may or may not tell you if it's a problem. My mom's cousin laid on her back (she had recently been in a car accendent) while pregnant and had no idea she was completely cutting off circulation to her uterus. She not only lost the baby, but was unable to have children from the damage done to her uterus. It was very traumatic and she completely blamed herself.

I don't think it's a common problem at all, but it is possible. Just be aware.

• Options
    imagePgh-CTBride:

Ditto laura.

If it is a problem (and it may not be one for you) your body will tell you. 

This. My OB told me that my body will tell me if I need to adjust. He said not to worry about it, and to sleep however I can sleep.

Lilypie - (eo79)
     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageWild_flower25:

The baby is not breathing yet, you cannot choke or suffocate them.

I don't mean this literally. I meant in the sense of cutting off blood flow to them or something. I've taken a sex ed class, I know there's no oxygen in there.

• Options
    imagelaurapacheco:

Hope this helps! GL 

Thanks for this! I have never been a back sleeper, but have been finding it to be the most comfortable position. Hopefully I can change that back to being on my sides.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagelaurapacheco:

Hope this helps! GL 

Thanks Laura and everyone who chimed in. I've also been wondering about when to start sleeping on my side. Looks like I have another month and a half, thank goodness. 

Visit The Nest!image Visit The Nest!

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." - Eleanor Roosevelt

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"