Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Help for crazy diaper changes

Changing diapers when DS is overtired is a complete nightmare. I just fought with him for 15 minutes to get his dirty diaper off and a new one on before naptime, and that was AFTER an hour of him being stinky and me prepping him for naptime, giving him notice we'd have to change the diaper, trying to ask him firmly but nicely, counting and telling him it was time, etc etc. In the end I had him pinned on the rug with one arm at one point, over my shoulder at another point, poop smeared on my pants, I gave myself a timeout because I was getting so infuriated, then he got away from me and ran around peeing on the dining room floor screaming and crying, I had to chase and pick him up and try to clean the remaining pee/poop off him in the crib, where he finally calmed down enough for me to get the new diaper on him and immediately fell asleep b/c he was so exhausted.

He's about 35 pounds and just picking him up when he's willing can be tough so when he's extra-tired and squirming and trying to pinch me and grab my hair I'm at my wits' end! This happens a couple times a week and I HATE it. It makes me feel like an awful mom and I'm afraid of hurting him but don't know what else to do but force him down when he refuses to be changed.

He won't sleep in a dirty diaper, so I don't think just leaving him in his stinky diaper will work (and I'd really rather not leave him in it for hours!!!). And if we change him as soon as we notice the stink, half the time he's not done and we end up struggling 20 minutes later with more poop. Anyone have any ideas for what else I can do? I feel like I've tried everything! Or is this just part of the toddler deal?

He's growing up, but he'll always be my baby!

Nathan--11/4/10

...big brother to...???? Due March 2014!

Re: Help for crazy diaper changes

• J is also terrible to diaper. It's been a war since he was 10 months or so. When he HAS to cooperate for poop diapers I give him something new and unusual to play with...like this morning I gave him my container of floss lol. For pee diapers I let him flail but keep my arm firmly on his belly and do NOT let him get away. He is constantly testing me and if I let him win something once he will try try again. You have to show him who is boss here and this is a battle he will not win!
  • cpmichcpmich member

my ds wont lay down for diaper changes but is willing to cooperate with standing up and staying in one place if he can look at a book or something distracting.  consider giving it a try... made a world of difference for us.  mine is 21 months and 31 lbs... remarable how strong they can be.

good luck 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • That's what I figure...there's no way I want him to think he has a choice in this kind of thing, so I try to be flexible but ultimately he WILL be getting his diaper changed! I really wish he was old enough to reason with but by then he better be out of diapers!!!

Usually we can bribe him to (mostly) cooperate with Yo Gabba Gabba but I didn't want to turn the TV on just for this last change b/c it'd be an additional tantrum when turning it off. I'm wondering if that might have been the lesser of two evils though Stick out tongue

I did a message board search and realize I'm not the only one in this battle, so that's making me feel better...plus the puddle of pee that was in the dining room is kind of funny now that it's cleaned up and in the past. Oy.

He's growing up, but he'll always be my baby!

Nathan--11/4/10

...big brother to...???? Due March 2014!

• DD is terrible at each diaper change.  I've ended up just scooting myself right next to her. I'll drape my leg (the one closest to her torso) over her torso.  I don't put the weight of my leg on her chest...i tent my leg and use my butt and ankles/calves to keep her from twisting around.  That way I still have both hands free for the diaper change. Then while she's somewhat immobile, I'll quickly change her and that's it.  One of my friends, who wrestled in HS, pointed out that it was actually a wrestling move...but I don't remember what it was called.  It's worked pretty well so far and we're starting to transition to PT'ing so hopefully this will all be over with soon. 

The problem with DD is that she wants to do it herself.  She wants to do everything herself.  So she is FURIOUS when someone else tries to change her diaper.  So we'll change her really quickly, then we'll let her wipe herself (on her diaper) and she gets to put her pants back on by herself.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • My mom tells me that her nanny potty trained us in 3 days.  I'd hire an nanny solely for that purpose & be done with it.  Presently my guy will let me change his poop diapers but for wet ones I just pull off his diaper & let him run around for a few minutes then wrestle one back on.  I plan on potty training him in the fall, maybe over Thanksgiving.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"