December 2010 Moms

What's been the best summer toy?

I've recently discovered the best summer toy we have.  Well, the one the gets the most use anyway.  

So far this summer we have either bought or been given: a wagon, a cozy coupe, a play structure, a blow up pool with a teeny slide and sprinkler umbrella, sand toys, and a home made water table.  The favorite by far, though, is the garden hose.  He could play for 1/2 an hour straight with that thing, and that is forever for him.  He likes to fill the pool, drink out of it, sling it around, watch the shadow, and soak himself.

What has been your best summer toy?  Or summer item in general for that matter!  :)  

I used to be a big deal.  Now I'm just old. 

Re: What's been the best summer toy?

• It's been between 109* and 112* here the past two weeks, but before that when we could actually go outside, we have this sprinkler mat thing (the one in the pic, but you know, with a different kid! I stole this pic off google... ) He LOVES it.  It wastes a ton of water because the hose is running the whole time, but it's so worth it.  I sit in a lawn chair with my feet in it too, which is nice and cool.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagepitterpatter129:

It's been between 109* and 112* here the past two weeks, but before that when we could actually go outside, we have this sprinkler mat thing (the one in the pic, but you know, with a different kid! I stole this pic off google... ) He LOVES it.  It wastes a ton of water because the hose is running the whole time, but it's so worth it.  I sit in a lawn chair with my feet in it too, which is nice and cool.

That is really cute! I originally wanted to get Jack something similar to that instead of the pool, but the pool ended up being less expensive!  And good point about wasting the water.  I should mention that the hose is usually only on a trickle. lol

• Loading the player...
  • a bucket of water and a solo cup  Seriously.  T will bring us a bucket (he has some just for inside play) and ask 'water outside?'  Once he spills all the water out he takes the bucket to the hose and says 'more please'  It's so perfect for those days I just don't want to run after him :)
    photo 928560AF-AAA0-4036-A0DB-1781F180055B-8057-000009B95DF7BAAA_zps4aeff975.jpg Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • DS loves to use the watering can. He will go to the spiggot and wait until I turn it on. He waters the tomato plants every night, even on the rare nights that we've gotten rain.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageSpitsNGiggles:
    DS loves to use the watering can. He will go to the spiggot and wait until I turn it on. He waters the tomato plants every night, even on the rare nights that we've gotten rain.

We have a little toy watering can that J loves!  

Dee - that is so cute!  I will have to give it a try with Jack.  :) 

• Dollar store bubbles. BAM. Hours of quality summer fun for all ages.

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• Funny to see such similar answers - ours is the sprinkler! He goes in almost everyday.

He also has this Little Tikes Castle:

https://www.littletikes.com/kids-toys/classic-castle

My SIL gave it to us used & he loves it. He will just open & shut the doors for the longest time. There's a tower I put him in & he loves being up high. When I tell him it's time to go back in the house, he shuts the door & pretends to lock it up, it's so funny.

It's totally killing the grass, but oh well, lol! 

• Hmmm, bubbles and his water table.  Also my parents backyard.  He loves it!
    Lilypie - (vGZN)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP2: 10/27/13(edd 7/10/14) "Speck" ~ M/C 12/5/13
  • lrn327lrn327 member
    We don't have our own outdoor space so no small pool (our bldg has one though) so ours is an inside toy. C adores his tunnel from Ikea. It was the best $15 ever! It even collapses for easy storage but ours is always up.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • kj07kj07 member

imagelrn327:
    We don't have our own outdoor space so no small pool (our bldg has one though) so ours is an inside toy. C adores his tunnel from Ikea. It was the best $15 ever! It even collapses for easy storage but ours is always up.

We only have concrete outdoor space (filled with mosquitoes and 100degree heat) so I'm going to go with lrn's indoor toy.  B lurves his tunnel from luckystarz.  DH recently had the genius idea to put the opening of the tunnel in the peapod tent for even more fun.

If our temps get a little more reasonable I think I'm going to steal Dee's bucket/cup idea.  Brilliant!

photo 8653f130-7264-42f4-8d67-9a73d64cacce_zps8c973e49.jpg

BFP #1 4/14/10. Big B born 12/28/10.

BFP #2 5/27/12. EDD 2/1/13. m/c and D&C 6/21/12.
  • P loves her water table, bubbles, her bike, and her wagon.  We also busted out the bounce house that we got for her b-day party - that fun lasted HOURS!  

Her favorite other toy though is either rocks that she finds, or the sprayer from the hose esp. when it isn't attached & she can tote it all around!

• A looooves bubbles and his indoor slide/castle has a mini basketball hoop attached that he will throw his balls in for HOURS at a time. He will also chuck his socks, trains, and any other small toy through the hoop as well. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We are outside every day & he goes between the pool, bubble mower, swing, racquet ball, and sidewalk chalk.  

I feel so lucky - we have an amazing backyard for kids.  It has a covered porch and 30year old silver maple; 3/4 of it is in the shade at all times. 

He also "helps wif prettys" and waters the flowers using a bucket dipping in the pool. 

image   image

• Rink08Rink08 member

Chalk & soccer balls.

My kids ask multiple times a day to color with chalk on the driveway. The other day, DS1 was driving me nuts because he kept asking me how much longer until he could go outside to color so I ended up letting him color our back deck with it instead (He's allowed to play on the back deck alone but not in the front of the house where the driveway is because the back of the house is fenced, locked, and visible while the front section is not).

They play with the soccer balls all of the time. DS2 recently started kicking the ball and yelling "GOOOOOOAL!". It's so stinkin' cute. DS1 has been taking soccer lessons since he was 18mo. and is obsessed with the sport.

• imagekj07:

imagelrn327:

We only have concrete outdoor space (filled with mosquitoes and 100degree heat) so I'm going to go with lrn's indoor toy.  B lurves his tunnel from luckystarz.  DH recently had the genius idea to put the opening of the tunnel in the peapod tent for even more fun.

If our temps get a little more reasonable I think I'm going to steal Dee's bucket/cup idea.  Brilliant!

I have been looking for an inexpensive tunnel!  I'll have to check the Ikea website.  There is one at the gymnastics place we go to and he loves it! 

• G loves the hose too.  I have to tear her away from that thing.  DH will stand with the water spraying, and she will bounce and run and jump through the spray, giggling and soaked with cold water.  But put the sprinkler up, and she wants nothing to do with it.  It has to be the regular nozzle and DH or I holding it.  She also loves her little plastic pool (she scoops and pours water over and over again), wagon, and swing (which we have hanging from the clothes-line post).  We also have a toddler-sized broom that is a definite favorite - she carries it everywhere, though she hasn't mastered actually sweeping yet.

• lrn327lrn327 member
    image--halo--:
    imagekj07:

imagelrn327:

I have been looking for an inexpensive tunnel!  I'll have to check the Ikea website.  There is one at the gymnastics place we go to and he loves it! 

I think they have a circus tent and a regular tent too!  Tons of fun!  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Her water/sand table. She will play with it as long as you are willing to sit out there and watch here and she pitches a fit when it's time to be done.

Other big hits are the kiddie pool and the sprinkler attachment to the hose.

She's pretty "meh" about the Cozy Coupe and mildly interested in the T-ball. I just got her a bubble lawn mower at Target's clearance the other day but haven't set it up yet.

BFP #1 9/23/09. Missed MC 10w3d D&C 11/3/09.

BFP #2 4/13/10. Bridget born 12/28/10

BFP #3 Finn born 8/11/15

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt1cb8c4.aspx[/img][/url]

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"