July 2012 Moms

to have ultrasound or no?

So I am two days overdue and had an appointment yesterday. We have not scheduled an appointment to be induced but I mentioned that my mom had big babies (all over 9.6, biggest being 11.3) and my MIL had big babies (all over 9, biggest being 10.6-my hubby). The doctor said we could do an ultrasound to see how big she is if that would help me to feel better...

I don't feel really concerned she is that big, but I wouldn't mind having an ultrasound done...to be honest, I am just getting so impatient and want to see her every chance I can so I use every excuse in the book...

My husband has convinced me to only get the ultrasound if it will help me to feel better about her size (because really, I can wait to see her in person...she has to come SOMEDAY!). My question is: Are ultrasounds that accurate where it would actually be helpful?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: to have ultrasound or no?

• Assuming I'm still pregnant on Thursday, I'll be having an ultrasound.  If I remember right, the purpose of it is to make sure there's enough fluid and somehow check the placenta.  My doctor already guessed 8 lbs about two weeks ago by feeling my stomach, but I'd been assuming the whole time that I'm going to have a large baby since everyone on DH's side seems to have big or bigger babies.
  • I measured big the last couple months of my pregnancy. Big enough that the doctor was concerned and ordered ultrasounds every 2 weeks for me. At 38 weeks the ultrasound tech estimated my little girl at 9 pounds 11 ounces and also said her head was measuring bigger than what the machine could measure (the machine is apparently only designed to measure the head up to 42 weeks). Based on that information & my doctors concerns that there would be complications we decided to schedule a c-section. Imagine my thrill when, while cut open on the table & after feeling them tug my baby out, I hear the nurse say she is 8 pounds 3 ounces. My husband and I are still pissed 3 weeks later so I would say take the ultrasound measurement with a grain of salt if you decide to have one. I could have easily been able to have a natural birth. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"