Baby Names
Options

WDYT of Lincoln?

My boyfriend is super stuck on the name Lincoln Pierce for our boy. I posted about a week ago about our Chase vs. Pierce debate and got some good opinions from y'all - and now he went and upped it to Lincoln. Is it just me? I am having a hard time swallowing that name. It's not that I don't like it. I think it's a good strong sounding name - I just don't know if I can see myself calling my son Lincoln, or Linc (cause you know it would end up getting shortened).

It sounds so "official" to me - it just doesn't seem to match a lil grubby messy baby boy (yes, I know he'll grow up! lol). It sounds like a lawyer or a president's name, but my lil tiny baby? IDK.

Opinions??

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: WDYT of Lincoln?

• Options
    I actually think its a cute boys name.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1:10/31/10 DS born 6/22/11BFP #3:4/24/12 DD born 12/31/12
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I love the name!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I like it a lot!
    DD1 October 2008
    DD2 October 2010
    DS September 2012
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Halloween tickers
  • Options
    I like it- but they are both former presidents. 
  • Options
    I think its fine. I'm not in love but I don't hate it.
  • Options
    I really like it.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    'Til He returns, or calls me home,
    Here in the power of Christ I stand.
  • Options

imagew+c3:
    I think its fine. I'm not in love but I don't hate it.

This!

Carly
    (Former UN: iloveshanej)

Birdie born 05/01/2007
    Rainbow Surprise Baby due 05/26/2017                                          

Potato Launcher

• Options

imageswimiz500:
    I like it- but they are both former presidents. 

exactly what I was going to say.

BFP #1: 4/2/12 -- DD born 12/15/12. BFP #2: 4/1/14 -- CP. BFP #3: 4/28/14 -- EDD 1/10/15

Jan 15  NOV siggy challenge: 

• Options
    It's my son's name. I put it on a long list of names I'd consider and DH glommed onto it, so it wasn't my first choice but I came to love it too. We deliberately named him after the president - we are both history geeks, especially the Civil War era. The name does sound formal, and all the more so because DS's middle name is my maiden name, so we joke that his name sounds like a law firm (DH is a lawyer). But for now we call him Lincy or Linc, and as in so many cases I think he's grown into his name.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • Options

The first thing I think of is logs. Lincoln Logs. 

Next I think of a coworker whose SIL had a baby named Lincoln last year. He told me the whole rest of the family makes fun of the name behind SIL's back.  

Finally, I think of a kid I went to Jr High with named Lincoln who was extremely dorky.

So, the name is definitely not my style.  It's not the worst thing in the world, but I'd always be tempted to call him Abe. I love Pierce though! 

• Options
    I really like it!  I'd rather have a name that seems too grown up for baby than too cutesy for an adult!  

DS: June 2012
    MC: July 2015 8w5d

• Options
    LoCarbLoCarb member
    I don't like Lincoln...love Pierce and Chase is nice too.
  • Options
    The adorable squishy baby in my siggy is Lincoln.  He's Lincoln Samuel and we get compliments on his name all the time. 
  • Options
    DH and I both liked this name with a nn of Linc if it was a boy. However, I'm a history teacher and don't think I could ever actually name my child Lincoln because of what I do for a living. The jokes would never end! Doesn't mean it's a bad name, but I know I couldn't do it even though I liked it if that makes any sense.
  • Options

My good friend has a Lincoln and I love that his NN is Link! He's adorable and it fits him perfectly. I don't like it paired with Pierce however, too many last names for me. I'd do something a little more traditional:

Lincoln Alexander

Lincoln William

Lincoln John

Lincoln James

Lincoln Samuel 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Blogging about boobs, babies, bed lust & everything in between since 2007.
  • Options
    I had a student named Lincoln this past year (freshman in HS). He was a sweet kid and the name fit him. I like it.

• Options
    I love it, particularly Lincoln :)
  • Options
    raefreraefre member

I think Lincoln would make a cute baby name and a great adult name too. 

Every so often, I'll ask DS (who is not named Lincoln): "Whatcha thinkin' Lincoln?" I have a feeling that, along with Bubba, I may adopt Lincoln as a pet name. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I like it.. I love nn Linc I actually prefer "older man" names for kids like George, Henry, Jack Its the cute baby names I am not a fan of like Brady, Riley, Brayden etc.. Maybe because I don't know any Men with those names but in 20 yrs it will be a different story as they all grow up!
  • Options

Thanks for all the opinions!! I appreciate them! (Boyfriend is super happy that so many people agree with his name choice - we haven't told any family yet, just one friend, who liked it also)

I am letting the name sit there in my head. I like it, I just don't know if I like it enough. I'm still looking around for other names too. Luckily we have some time to figure it out.

I do agree with what a previous poster said about too many last names though. Especially when paired with boyfriend's last name, which is long and very "last namish" (lol). Maybe I'll come up with an alternative middle name..

Why did I always assume naming the baby would be the easiest part? Especially when I know how picky me and the boyfriend both are?! :-)

• Options

LOVING Lincoln! I would pair it with a solid MN like Michael or Alexander though. I remember your Chase v. Pierce and so happy to hear you are thinking Lincoln.

Remember, that he will only be a baby for a short period of time. WOuldn't you rather him have a grown up name than a baby name?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"