Military Families

Inducing Labor Early

So I'm trying to get opinions on what other ladies would do in my situation. I don't want any rude judgments, I am just looking for advise or someone who's in/had a similar situation. ***Due date is with in her husband's deployment window.  Edited to remove the window dates***I'm stuck wondering if I should induce my labor to make sure my husband will be there for the birth and spend at least a day. This is both of ours first child, and this is his first deployment. I hate that hes going to miss almost the entire first year of our baby's life, but for him to miss the birth too, we'd both be devastated.  I would never put my child in danger if he had health risks or go against my dr.Which I talked to her about the situation today and since I live in a military town, its common and they said they would try their best to make sure my husband meets his son.But since this is my first pregnancy, and I don't know too much, I want to know what everyone else thinks. I'd only want to be induced two weeks early which puts me at 38 weeks (still considered full term) That would give my husband at least a week with our baby. **Please don't include window dates in your posts.  Remember OPSEC** 
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Inducing Labor Early

• jb2rnjb2rn member

No, I would not do it.

While I can imagine it's very difficult to be going through this, I would not put my baby or myself in that situation. Induced labor is usually more painful (pitocin is no picnic) and can be stressful to the baby. It can also lead to a c-section.

I am sure there are women who have perfect inductions with healthy full term babies, but I personally would not risk it, sorry.

b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• Just a fair warning- you will not get much support on this subject from the ladies on here.

I understand that it's a tough situation, but babies have a 40 week gestation for a reason. Even though it's only a week or so early, those days are important. Plus, due dates can be off. You may think it's only a week early, but it could be more like two weeks or more. Please, let your baby "cook" until she/he's ready.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I went through this anxiety with both of my kids so I know exactly how you feel. In my experience, Dr refused to induce me before 41 weeks with my DD.  Fortunately the timing worked out just fine or us, I started labor myself just shy of 41 weeks. With DS they agreed to induce me at 39 weeks and everything went smoothly. 

IMO, 38 weeks is to early to induce. I agree with PP that due dates are not 100%. Also, and again ths s just IMO, it sounds like your Dr was trying to appease you a little bit. "Try their best" does not mean yes we will so stop worrying and relax! It sounds more like they are putting you off a bit so you don't stress for the next 9 months.

Finally, remember that deployment dates change all the time!! Start planning a backup if they change the deployment date to an earlier time and keep praying the date gets shifted to the right! Good luck and I hope for the best for you! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Absolutely not. Babies some when they're ready. They know better than we do when that is. 

Induction leads to other complications and greatly increases your risk for a csection. I would never want to be recovering from major surgery alone, with a newborn, while my husband deployed.  

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I was in a similar situation when DS was born. DH was about to leave, but we really wanted him to be home for the birth. I discussed everything with my OB at the military hospital I was being seen at, and he agreed to put me on the "social induction" list. So basically, if they weren't busy they would go ahead and induce me, but any emergencies or scheduled medical inductions would bump me from my spot. I never needed to be induced, DS decided to come a week early on his own, just in time. It's worth bringing up with your OB. I'm sure you're not the first one who has asked, and it is your first, so they'll try they're best.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Has your husband asked his command about the possibility of deploying a week or so later than his peers to allow him the time to be there for the birth?
  • I replied on the our birth month board, but I'm not sure if it was seen. I'm in a similar situation, my husband is leaving three months before our baby is due though and won't be back until the baby is almost five months old. I know it's hard and I'm sorry you're in this situation. If you need someone to talk to, please PM me. (((HUGS)))
  • Any doctor worth their salt wouldn't induce labor without medical necessity. And if they do , I would run away from that doctor.
    30 Rock Pictures, Images and Photos
  • NSLNSL member
    Speaking as the mother of a full-term NICU baby, and as someone whose husband was deployed for his birth, do not induce unless it is medically necessary.  Not all babies are ready to be born at 38 weeks, and nothing is worth risking your child's health.  
  • I would NOT induce at 38 weeks for schedule reasons. I was induced at 40 weeks 6 days....my doc didn't even talk induction until I was late and I am disgusted yours would agree to do it at 38 weeks! You should let your baby bake till at least 40 weeks. Women in the Military have babies without their spouses all the time...ya it sucks but it's part of being a Military wife.
  • imageGismo123:
    I would NOT induce at 38 weeks for schedule reasons. I was induced at 40 weeks 6 days....my doc didn't even talk induction until I was late and I am disgusted yours would agree to do it at 38 weeks! You should let your baby bake till at least 40 weeks. Women in the Military have babies without their spouses all the time...ya it sucks but it's part of being a Military wife.

Yes

And like I pointed out on our BMB, dates change constantly. But I wouldn't ever induce my baby just so DH could be here, there are too many health risks. We all know that there is this chance when we plan on starting families, I would come up with a back up plan just in case.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imageGismo123:
    I would NOT induce at 38 weeks for schedule reasons. I was induced at 40 weeks 6 days....my doc didn't even talk induction until I was late and I am disgusted yours would agree to do it at 38 weeks! You should let your baby bake till at least 40 weeks. Women in the Military have babies without their spouses all the time...ya it sucks but it's part of being a Military wife.

Yes

And like I pointed out on our BMB, dates change constantly. But I wouldn't ever induce my baby just so DH could be here, there are too many health risks. We all know that there is this chance when we plan on starting families, I would come up with a back up plan just in case.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • No way. Any doctor who would electively induce that early should lose his/her license.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"