December 2010 Moms
Options

What to expect at an EI evaluation?

My nephew is getting one tomorrow (an at home visit) and his parents and my MIL are very nervous. I tried to explain that they are mostly going to watch him play, but they seem to think there is a lot more to it?  So if you have been through it (and it seems like from some of the posts below, there are more than a few of you) what exactly do they do?  When do you get the results/recommendations? About how long does it take?  Thanks for any information you may be able to give me that I can pass along to them. 

p.s. I am surprised how many pedis are recommending EI services for not having two word phrases (which I saw in the post below)  My pedi seemed to think that was more of a 21-24 month skill. A just started to kind of say "Where's ball" or "that's doggie" so he is doing it, but not regularly or anything. Once again, you guys have me nervous! He has about 30 words and I thought he was doing well!

photo IMG_6758_zps3fe7e628.jpg

Re: What to expect at an EI evaluation?

• Options

in our experience, they'll really just watch him play, try to engage him in play and ask the family questions about how he plays, words, communication, milestones, etc. It's very laid back so tell them to try to not be nervous!

they told us their thoughts immediately after - what they were recommending and how many times per week. The whole eval took less than 1 1/2 hours.

Let me know if you  need more info! (ps sounds like if he has 30 words, he's doing awesome)

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• Options
    imagewatermellens:

in our experience, they'll really just watch him play, try to engage him in play and ask the family questions about how he plays, words, communication, milestones, etc. It's very laid back so tell them to try to not be nervous!

they told us their thoughts immediately after - what they were recommending and how many times per week. The whole eval took less than 1 1/2 hours.

Let me know if you  need more info! (ps sounds like if he has 30 words, he's doing awesome)

This exactly.

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageOhSewCrafty:
    imagewatermellens:

This exactly.

Ditto.  Thats what they did at our eval as well.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

Ours was the same.  They brought some toys - things like puzzles, blocks, and dolls and asked him to do certain things and watched how he would play with them.  They gave him objects like a comb to see if he knew what it was used for.

The only thing I thought was a little annoying is they had this book of pictures and asked him where things were.  One picture just happened to have fruit that he has just never had before - like cantaloupe (he has had this maybe a few times, but absolutely would never identify it)  and apples.  I said he wouldn't know these things, and they almost acted like I was depriving my child of certain fruits.  I explained the kid eats more fruit than I have ate in my whole life and just coincidentally hasn't had these!  We aren't big apple or cantaloupe people - sorry! 

But it really was fine, and they gave us their thoughts immediately after.

Oh, and our pediatrician actually said she was not concerned about my son and did not recommend us calling EI.  It was just me and my craziness :)  Our pedi has always said even if he were to have one or two two-word phrases at two years or even a little after that was more than acceptable.  She said her son didn't have many words until two and didn't have two word phrases until almost 2.5 and he's doing better verbally than her daughter who spoke very early :) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagestar1123:

Ours was the same.  They brought some toys - things like puzzles, blocks, and dolls and asked him to do certain things and watched how he would play with them.  They gave him objects like a comb to see if he knew what it was used for.

The only thing I thought was a little annoying is they had this book of pictures and asked him where things were.  One picture just happened to have fruit that he has just never had before - like cantaloupe (he has had this maybe a few times, but absolutely would never identify it)  and apples.  I said he wouldn't know these things, and they almost acted like I was depriving my child of certain fruits.  I explained the kid eats more fruit than I have ate in my whole life and just coincidentally hasn't had these!  We aren't big apple or cantaloupe people - sorry! 

Canteloupe??? Hahaha, I can't even imagine at 18 month old breaking that one out!

Although it is kind of funny: my husband has been trying to teach him fruit names this week specifically. We just added "wiwi" (kiwi) and "Gago" (mango) to his vocab this week. So if they happened to ask about those, we would be golden! 

photo IMG_6758_zps3fe7e628.jpg
  • Options
    lrn327lrn327 member
    imagejillybean800:
    imagestar1123:

Canteloupe??? Hahaha, I can't even imagine at 18 month old breaking that one out!

Although it is kind of funny: my husband has been trying to teach him fruit names this week specifically. We just added "wiwi" (kiwi) and "Gago" (mango) to his vocab this week. So if they happened to ask about those, we would be golden! 

No way C would know canteloupe either!  Noooo way.  My first thought was that he probably wouldn't even know what to do with a comb either b/c we never, ever use them.  I actually found one yesterday randomly, handed it to him, and showed him what to do.  Before that time though, no way.  Now hairbrush ("mairmush"), we're all over that one, lol!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"