November 2011 Moms

Re: NYC mayor banning free formula in hospitals

• Even though I agree that BFing is the way to go, it's not for everyone and you have to do what works for you. I think that this is intrusive, and is once again an attack on the woman's right to make a choice (eg- everything going on with abortion, BC, etc this year). My hospital continually offered BFing support, but gave the swag bag  to me if I wanted it when I left. I BF'd for 2 months until I could no longer keep up with LO's demand. If women don't want the bag with formula, no one is forcing them to take it.

Some women decide from the beginning that they want to EFF. That is their choice and no one else should be interfering with that. Women get all up in arms when people give them crap for wanting to BF, but no one seems to defend the women who decide that EFF is right for them.

• He isn't banning formula, read the article. He is asking hospitals to promote breast feeding first and discourage nurses from just handing out formula at the drop of the hat. I think there is a big difference between those who refuse to breast feed and those who tried but cannot do it. 

Personally my OB said regardless of whether or not you choose to breast feed every mom in their practice must at least try for a hour after giving birth unless there are medical reasons not to.  

• Loading the player...
  • I think this is a move in the right direction.  Women will still be able to choose, there just won't be formula sitting there "just in case" making it really tempting to just go that route even if that wasn't the original intention.  Out of sight out of mind.  If formula's already on your mind?  Well, it's still there.  All you have to do is ask.

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagesmilelari:
    I think this is a move in the right direction.  Women will still be able to choose, there just won't be formula sitting there "just in case" making it really tempting to just go that route even if that wasn't the original intention.  Out of sight out of mind.  If formula's already on your mind?  Well, it's still there.  All you have to do is ask.

I agree. It's too easy to say, oh, just make him/her a bottle. I also think nurses need to be trained that most babies lose weight after they are born, and that just because they drop a few ounces, doesn't make supplementing necessary. That formula supplementation is what more often than not leads to supply issues. Most women produce plenty of milk.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagepurple4u:

He isn't banning formula, read the article. He is asking hospitals to promote breast feeding first and discourage nurses from just handing out formula at the drop of the hat. I think there is a big difference between those who refuse to breast feed and those who tried but cannot do it. 

Personally my OB said regardless of whether or not you choose to breast feed every mom in their practice must at least try for a hour after giving birth unless there are medical reasons not to.  

He did ban the free formula "swag bags" given to new moms.

• imagemabenner1:
    imagepurple4u:

He isn't banning formula, read the article. He is asking hospitals to promote breast feeding first and discourage nurses from just handing out formula at the drop of the hat. I think there is a big difference between those who refuse to breast feed and those who tried but cannot do it. 

So what? It's still not a ban on formula it's encouraging breast feeding. I gave birth in NYC. Who cares about the bag. I am just saying.  

• You can get free formula by signing up for coupons on the formula websites. I EBF but somehow got on a list. I got so much formula in the mail. I gave all of it away. 
  • imagepurple4u:

Eff that. I had zero interest in breast feeding while I was pregnant and even less interest after I had her. I chose to formula feed because that is my right as a woman and a mother. Any doctor who tries to force breast feeding is out of line.

I agree with support for breastfeeding mothers, but how about some for the moms on the other side of the line who are just as good and love their baby just as much.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagedesine77:
    imagepurple4u:

Eff that. I had zero interest in breast feeding while I was pregnant and even less interest after I had her. I chose to formula feed because that is my right as a woman and a mother. Any doctor who tries to force breast feeding is out of line.

I agree with support for breastfeeding mothers, but how about some for the moms on the other side of the line who are just as good and love their baby just as much.

Oh don't get me wrong I completely support ff as well. Whatever is the best for you and your family is what you should do.

I was simply stating what my OB did. I didn't say it was right or wrong. Or atleast if that is what i implied I apologize  

• imagepurple4u:
    imagedesine77:
    imagepurple4u:

Oh don't get me wrong I completely support ff as well. Whatever is the best for you and your family is what you should do.

I was simply stating what my OB did. I didn't say it was right or wrong. Or atleast if that is what i implied I apologize  

Sorry i really was not trying to say anything about you; i was just shocked at that practice and wanted to comment on it. It is all good in the hood. 

• imagepurple4u:
    imagemabenner1:
    imagepurple4u:

So what? It's still not a ban on formula it's encouraging breast feeding. I gave birth in NYC. Who cares about the bag. I am just saying.  

You're nitpicking my word choice.  Either way, I agree with his decision. And banning those bags they give new moms on their way out is smart.

• I agree. In my hospital they pulled out the formula on day 1 and fed it to DD as a "supplement". It's just too accessible. You go in with goals for BF and here you are after labor, in pain, more than exhausted, an emotional wreck. BF hurts in more than one way and is frustratingly difficult. Meanwhile they are waving those instant bottles of formula in your face, ready to just twist on the nipple cap and feed that helpless baby that everyone seems to think is starving. I feel like having this formula right beside my bed when I'm so tired and frustrated is like waving a cheeseburger in front of a person who is starving. Formula companies know that, it's a great opportunity to get you hooked and make big bucks off of you. I got a "breastfeeding kit" by Enfamil that came with a bunch of instant formula... why in the world do I need your formula to breastfeed???

Of course it should not be outright banned in hospitals, there will always be a need for it, and there will always be times when it's just too tough or impossible for mom... but it doesn't need to be given to me from the beginning. It shouldn't be everywhere in the hospital, and I do think most women should at least try to breastfeed in the beginning. Hospitals should set it in everyone's mind that formula is a secondary option to something that is healthier for babies and for the environment, and we may see a generation of healthier people.

• imageAdanessa:

I agree. In my hospital they pulled out the formula on day 1 and fed it to DD as a "supplement". It's just too accessible. You go in with goals for BF and here you are after labor, in pain, more than exhausted, an emotional wreck. BF hurts in more than one way and is frustratingly difficult. Meanwhile they are waving those instant bottles of formula in your face, ready to just twist on the nipple cap and feed that helpless baby that everyone seems to think is starving. I feel like having this formula right beside my bed when I'm so tired and frustrated is like waving a cheeseburger in front of a person who is starving. Formula companies know that, it's a great opportunity to get you hooked and make big bucks off of you. I got a "breastfeeding kit" by Enfamil that came with a bunch of instant formula... why in the world do I need your formula to breastfeed???

Of course it should not be outright banned in hospitals, there will always be a need for it, and there will always be times when it's just too tough or impossible for mom... but it doesn't need to be given to me from the beginning. It shouldn't be everywhere in the hospital, and I do think most women should at least try to breastfeed in the beginning. Hospitals should set it in everyone's mind that formula is a secondary option to something that is healthier for babies and for the environment, and we may see a generation of healthier people.

Well said!

• I didn't use formula because it was "easy" and free; I used it because I didn't want my child to starve. I did a mix of BM and formula from day 2. My hospital gave me a "swag bag" but they also gave me a free hand pump and parts (which I could also use with the elec pump, around $50 value). That was far more useful than the free formula (just 4 2oz ready to feed bottles when I left).

I think all hospitals should focus more on giving moms lactation help than worrying about free formula. My DD was born around 6pm - it was 9 pm by the time we got to the room. I did not see a lactation consultant for over 12 hours because they only worked during the daytime and just visited you once a day at our hospital. It would be great if all hospitals offered free lactation classes before the baby is born too.

• I am camp feed your baby.  Both breastfeeding and formula feeding are valid ways to feed a baby.  I don't think bureaucracy should stand in the way of valid and loving parenting decisions or make the decision to formula feed any harder on moms than it already is.  My daughter is on medical formula and people still give me crap about terminating breastfeeding at 5 months.  No mom needs people questioning their decision of how to feed their newborn--especially not when they are in a vulnerable postpartum state.  Yes, I think breastfeeding is wonderful and I loved breastfeeding both of my babies, but my heart goes out to those moms who chose to formula feed from the start/early on who instead of getting support end up getting lectured.  There is more than enough Momma guilt to go around--no need to add to it!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagesccalla:
    I am camp feed your baby.  Both breastfeeding and formula feeding are valid ways to feed a baby.  I don't think bureaucracy should stand in the way of valid and loving parenting decisions or make the decision to formula feed any harder on moms than it already is.  My daughter is on medical formula and people still give me crap about terminating breastfeeding at 5 months.  No mom needs people questioning their decision of how to feed their newborn--especially not when they are in a vulnerable postpartum state.  Yes, I think breastfeeding is wonderful and I loved breastfeeding both of my babies, but my heart goes out to those moms who chose to formula feed from the start/early on who instead of getting support end up getting lectured.  There is more than enough Momma guilt to go around--no need to add to it!

Yes Exactly..... I can't believe (though I shouldn't say that, cuz nothing surprises me when it comes to how cruel moms can be to each other) someone would give you crap about giving medical formula.

• imagesap05e:

I didn't use formula because it was "easy" and free; I used it because I didn't want my child to starve. I did a mix of BM and formula from day 2. My hospital gave me a "swag bag" but they also gave me a free hand pump and parts (which I could also use with the elec pump, around $50 value). That was far more useful than the free formula (just 4 2oz ready to feed bottles when I left).

I think all hospitals should focus more on giving moms lactation help than worrying about free formula. My DD was born around 6pm - it was 9 pm by the time we got to the room. I did not see a lactation consultant for over 12 hours because they only worked during the daytime and just visited you once a day at our hospital. It would be great if all hospitals offered free lactation classes before the baby is born too.

This exactly. I felt guily enough not being able to BF like I so wanted. I feel like this is another way of judging a mothers decision. If you don't want the free formula don't take it. The government can stay out of my hospital room when it comes to personal decisions.

I gave birth in Seattle and the only items they gave me to take home were things for my recovery and computer print outs about BF. The LC came right before we checked out, over 24 hrs after I gave birth, and was useless. She couldn't get LO to latch or show me how to properly use a nipple shield. The computer print outs were real helpful at 2 AM when I was hooked up to a pump and had a screaming, hungry baby.

• imagepurple4u:
    imagemabenner1:
    imagepurple4u:

the bag makes it easier for moms having a tough time to give in and start "supplementing" - i think banning the bags is great, but i fail to see any positive pro BFing initiatives here.  it comes off as being anti formula, i think there should be more to support new moms and pregnant women who want to breastfeed.  

i also gave birth in a NYC hospital and had a really tough time getting positive, consistent support in a really overcrowded postpartum wing with a well meaning staff of really hard working nurses.  we chose the hospital because it was "baby friendly" but   new moms should maybe instead given a breastfeeding "goodie bag" with lots of information and phone numbers for lactation consultants.   There should be more lactation consultants in the hospital & support groups in the hospital, not less formula. 

it's hard enough being a brand new mom without feeling like you're being judged and not being given proper support.

• Maybe it's just me, but I don't see how a free sample of formula is such a drastic measure that people think it will really sway from breast feeding to formula feeding. 

My hospital was extremely encouraging with breast feeding and while I appreciated ot, I also like that when I freaked out and wanted formula they didnt blink an eye.

All of this comes from someone who has zero regrets from exclusively FF (I promise, he has turned out fine! ;) ) but still wants to BF with the next LO. 

• imagesweetpealee:
    imagepurple4u:
    imagemabenner1:
    imagepurple4u:

the bag makes it easier for moms having a tough time to give in and start "supplementing" - i think banning the bags is great, but i fail to see any positive pro BFing initiatives here.  it comes off as being anti formula, i think there should be more to support new moms and pregnant women who want to breastfeed.  

i also gave birth in a NYC hospital and had a really tough time getting positive, consistent support in a really overcrowded postpartum wing with a well meaning staff of really hard working nurses.  we chose the hospital because it was "baby friendly" but   new moms should maybe instead given a breastfeeding "goodie bag" with lots of information and phone numbers for lactation consultants.   There should be more lactation consultants in the hospital & support groups in the hospital, not less formula. 

it's hard enough being a brand new mom without feeling like you're being judged and not being given proper support.

I think it is a great policy as long as they also educate the nurses about how to help a BF mother who is struggling.  It's great that the formula will only be offered as a second option and not sitting on bedside waiting for you, but if you don't offer BF mothers support, or let them know where to go for help, many women will give up.  The only way this will work is if the nurses are trained to help, there are lactation consultants on hand to help, and women are well informed.  Most women are only in the hospital abotu 24 hrs after LO is born, that is not enough time to learn all there is to know about BF, they need to know where to go for support once they are out of the hospital. 

Also, I think they should still give formula to women who are absolutley opposed to BF, they shouldn't be forced to try it.  They shouldn't be offering formula to the women who are interested in trying BF, but give it willingly to those who choose not to.   

BFP #1 August 2007, Lost Nov 2007, no heartbeat found at anatomy ultrasound at 19 wks
    BFP #2 March 2011, Baby Girl born November 2011!!!
  • I wish hospitals would focus more on supporting mom's doing the best they can for their babies and leave the decision of BF/FF to the mother, the only person to whom the decision belongs. At the hospital I gave birth at formula was a dirty word. I may have well have asked them for a bottle of cola. It should not be that way. I wish the message was more "Breastfeeding is slightly better but formula is fine too" instead of "OMG YOU MUST BF OR YOUR BABY WILL DIEEEEE!" I don't think BFing needs to be encouraged. I don't think there is a person on the planet that doesn't know about BFing and they are an idiot if they don't know that BFing is better considering you can't even make your kid a flipping bottle without it being shoved in your face since it says so right on the dang can. You know what I think does need support? Moms.

DD and I had problems from day one but never once was I told "It's okay if it doesn't work out you can just use formula" nope I was told I had to make it work that it was the most important thing I would ever do for my child. When I finally gave up because at 8 days old DD was still losing weight I was told I didn't try hard enough, I should have given it a couple more weeks. Every pedi appt I get lectured for not BFing, I tell them I think DD has reflux I get told no formula just makes babies spit up because it irritates there stomach and if I didn't want to do extra laundry I should've tried harder to BF. I tell them I think DD has a milk allergy and I get told I should've that's what happens when you don't BF. DD has weight issues? Formula's fault. Every WIC appt I get lectured for not BFing. Multiple times while buying formula I have been lectured and attacked by random ladies for being selfish, lazy, and not caring about my daughter. It shouldn't be that way. No one should have to feel guilty for giving their child formula. Mom's feeding their babies should be supported and told that they are doing a good job as long as they aren't on crack and giving their kid a bottle of kool-aid.

• imageauthorofdreamz:

I wish hospitals would focus more on supporting mom's doing the best they can for their babies and leave the decision of BF/FF to the mother, the only person to whom the decision belongs. At the hospital I gave birth at formula was a dirty word. I may have well have asked them for a bottle of cola. It should not be that way. I wish the message was more "Breastfeeding is slightly better but formula is fine too" instead of "OMG YOU MUST BF OR YOUR BABY WILL DIEEEEE!" I don't think BFing needs to be encouraged. I don't think there is a person on the planet that doesn't know about BFing and they are an idiot if they don't know that BFing is better considering you can't even make your kid a flipping bottle without it being shoved in your face since it says so right on the dang can. You know what I think does need support? Moms.

DD and I had problems from day one but never once was I told "It's okay if it doesn't work out you can just use formula" nope I was told I had to make it work that it was the most important thing I would ever do for my child. When I finally gave up because at 8 days old DD was still losing weight I was told I didn't try hard enough, I should have given it a couple more weeks. Every pedi appt I get lectured for not BFing, I tell them I think DD has reflux I get told no formula just makes babies spit up because it irritates there stomach and if I didn't want to do extra laundry I should've tried harder to BF. I tell them I think DD has a milk allergy and I get told I should've that's what happens when you don't BF. DD has weight issues? Formula's fault. Every WIC appt I get lectured for not BFing. Multiple times while buying formula I have been lectured and attacked by random ladies for being selfish, lazy, and not caring about my daughter. It shouldn't be that way. No one should have to feel guilty for giving their child formula. Mom's feeding their babies should be supported and told that they are doing a good job as long as they aren't on crack and giving their kid a bottle of kool-aid.

Breastfeeding DOES need to be encouraged.  Despite knowing that it's what is best a dismally low number of people follow through.  This is at least partially because when moms are emotionally vulnerable and having a really hard time with life with a newborn, there are formula cans just sitting there and at that point it really is the easier option.  And if we tell moms that "formula is fine" they are going to take that easier option even if that isn't what they really wanted to do.  However, it needs to be encouraged without bullying and making people feel guilty.  We need for moms to have all of the support and information that they need to be successful.

I think that formula should be available if you ask for it, but not just sitting out.  If you ask for formula, they should maybe give you a few questions like "are you sure this is what you want to do?" and "do you need a lactation consultant to come and talk to you?" and maybe a reminder like "remember that even if you give her formula now, that doesn't mean you can't successfully BF".  It needs to be done in a supportive way though, not in a bullying way and once you've made that decision, it needs to stop.

That said, a quote from Eleanor Roosevelt that was posted on another board today "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent".  Time to stop feeling guilty and move on.

Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
  • An awesome quote on this topic from KellyMom:

"It could change everything for women who want to breasfeed but don't have correct information or are experiencing problems they can overcome if they're given help, because they will be given EQUAL ACCESS to information that can help them breastfeed and formula samples. They ask for help or they ask for formula. Equal access. No privilege for formula." 

Shawn and Larissa
  • imagesmilelari:

We need for moms to have all of the support and information that they need to be successful.

I think that formula should be available if you ask for it, but not just sitting out.  If you ask for formula, they should maybe give you a few questions like "are you sure this is what you want to do?" and "do you need a lactation consultant to come and talk to you?" and maybe a reminder like "remember that even if you give her formula now, that doesn't mean you can't successfully BF".  It needs to be done in a supportive way though, not in a bullying way and once you've made that decision, it needs to stop.

Then it should be the same for BFing. Information and support should be available IF a mom wants it, not shoved down your throat around every corner. 

• imageauthorofdreamz:
    imagesmilelari:

We need for moms to have all of the support and information that they need to be successful.

Then it should be the same for BFing. Information and support should be available IF a mom wants it, not shoved down your throat around every corner. 

I'll agree with that.  Our hospital asks whether you are breastfeeding during pre-admission, so I'm assuming that the BFing encouragement goes specifically to those that answer with a yes.  Once you specify that you want to BF, they should do everything in their power to help you make that happen.  I wonder if other hospitals do the same?

Shawn and Larissa
  • I FF DD1 and FF and tried BF DD2 until she repeatedly broke out in whole body hives from her milk/soy allergy.  I'm all for doing what is best for your family whether it is BF or FF.  I don't understand why it is only the hospitals under attack, about 2 days of the 9 month journey is spent in the hospital (assuming there aren't complications).  Why would the Governor not spend his energy and money on creating education tools for the women to obtain during their pregnancy so they can research, educate themselves and ask their OB questions during their pregnancy?  This seems like a much better way to go.  The way he is presenting his case is very attacking and feels like he is trying to take away a mother's choice/right. 

ETA:  I wonder, can they stop a mom from bringing their own formula to the hospital? 

photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Anniversary
  • I am honestly shocked by some of the responses on here, so much so that I can't even read through all of them.

First, I EBF'd my son for 6 months and one day. It was a struggle almost the entire way but I bucked up and I did it - which means I know how effing hard it CAN be for some women. (I was in constant pain for 8 weeks from Raynaud's...my boobs will never be the same.)

This new program doesn't just make it so women have to "ask" for formula. I don't know about your states, but in my state hospitals, the formula is not just sitting in the mini-fridge just in case mama doesn't feel like trying. You DO have to request it. This program makes it so a medical reason needs to be given if the mother requests formula, and the formula bottles will be tracked in and out as if it were a medication. Each time a mother requests a bottle, she will be lectured on why the breast is better.

I am as pro-breastfeeding as they come, but this is an infringement on our basic human rights as people, as women and as mothers. Train hospital staff better to support mothers struggling. Offer free breastfeeding courses for pregnant women on how difficult it is to breastfeed. Instead, this program is going to promote more paper pushing to track the consumption of a non-drug - of a food substance, sold openly in the store. Which is going to cost money. Spend the money on education and resources.

A woman should have the right to decide what they do with their body, period. This program says "Well...you have a choice.........but we really want you to choose option A so we're going to make option B really, really difficult for you."

That's about all the energy I have left for this topic...I'll now AW and direct you to my blog where you can read my full response if you have any interest: https://www.momsinmaine.com/2012/07/mayor-bloomberg-please-stay-away-from-my-boobs/

• imageCmmo14:

imageCmmo14:
    I am a BF and I got NO support from anyone except my family. I kept bleeding and it hurt so so much and everyone kept saying it was my fault for doing it wrong. No body stopped to think that maybe sometimes severely inverted nipples bleed when getting extended to outside, and that made for a pretty painful month. I had no problems with the latch on and everything else was right, it's just happened that my case was more difficult. EVERY doctor kept telling me it's my fault and I think THAT made it worse. My mom kept telling me "if it's too difficult there is always formula and there is no shame in using it" she was an EBF of 3 but she was understanding and I think that should be the mentality. There is no shame in formula, you don't know why the mom is deciding that, and that decision is only hers. I do think that information for both BF and FF should be readily available for a mom at the hospital but pushing formula is just as bad as questioning a mom on why she doesn't want to breast feed. Both are intrusive.

And let me just add that I live in a country where BFing is shameful 

Where do you live?

"Read the books, don
  • imagemabenner1:

I also think nurses need to be trained that most babies lose weight after they are born, and that just because they drop a few ounces, doesn't make supplementing necessary. 

Do you really believe that post-partum and NICU nurses don't already know this? 

• imagelittlewinnie15:

I am honestly shocked by some of the responses on here, so much so that I can't even read through all of them.

First, I EBF'd my son for 6 months and one day. It was a struggle almost the entire way but I bucked up and I did it - which means I know how effing hard it CAN be for some women. (I was in constant pain for 8 weeks from Raynaud's...my boobs will never be the same.)

This new program doesn't just make it so women have to "ask" for formula. I don't know about your states, but in my state hospitals, the formula is not just sitting in the mini-fridge just in case mama doesn't feel like trying. You DO have to request it. This program makes it so a medical reason needs to be given if the mother requests formula, and the formula bottles will be tracked in and out as if it were a medication. Each time a mother requests a bottle, she will be lectured on why the breast is better.

I am as pro-breastfeeding as they come, but this is an infringement on our basic human rights as people, as women and as mothers. Train hospital staff better to support mothers struggling. Offer free breastfeeding courses for pregnant women on how difficult it is to breastfeed. Instead, this program is going to promote more paper pushing to track the consumption of a non-drug - of a food substance, sold openly in the store. Which is going to cost money. Spend the money on education and resources.

A woman should have the right to decide what they do with their body, period. This program says "Well...you have a choice.........but we really want you to choose option A so we're going to make option B really, really difficult for you."

That's about all the energy I have left for this topic...I'll now AW and direct you to my blog where you can read my full response if you have any interest: https://www.momsinmaine.com/2012/07/mayor-bloomberg-please-stay-away-from-my-boobs/

I read and really appreciated your blog post.  Seriously, if you ladies have the time, it is worth reading!

• imageauthorofdreamz:

I wish hospitals would focus more on supporting mom's doing the best they can for their babies and leave the decision of BF/FF to the mother, the only person to whom the decision belongs. At the hospital I gave birth at formula was a dirty word. I may have well have asked them for a bottle of cola. It should not be that way. I wish the message was more "Breastfeeding is slightly better but formula is fine too" instead of "OMG YOU MUST BF OR YOUR BABY WILL DIEEEEE!" I don't think BFing needs to be encouraged. I don't think there is a person on the planet that doesn't know about BFing and they are an idiot if they don't know that BFing is better considering you can't even make your kid a flipping bottle without it being shoved in your face since it says so right on the dang can. You know what I think does need support? Moms.

I definitely agree about moms needing support!  Also,there is no need for outsiders to lay on the guilt for formula feeding.  You should check out: https://www.fearlessformulafeeder.com/

It is a great place to feel supported in formula feeding.  I actually recommend breastfeeding and formula feeding moms check it out.  It really put me in my place back when I was really judgmental about formula feeding, and now as a mom who formula feeds it is a source of community.  Well worth looking at!

• imagesccalla:
    imagelittlewinnie15:

I am honestly shocked by some of the responses on here, so much so that I can't even read through all of them.

I read and really appreciated your blog post.  Seriously, if you ladies have the time, it is worth reading!

Aww thanks! I know it's was aw-ish to throw it in there at the end but, hey, people asked for opinions and that was mine in full! ;) 

• imagesccalla:
    imageauthorofdreamz:

I definitely agree about moms needing support!  Also,there is no need for outsiders to lay on the guilt for formula feeding.  You should check out: https://www.fearlessformulafeeder.com/

It is a great place to feel supported in formula feeding.  I actually recommend breastfeeding and formula feeding moms check it out.  It really put me in my place back when I was really judgmental about formula feeding, and now as a mom who formula feeds it is a source of community.  Well worth looking at!

Oh man, her response to this initiative was priceless!! 

• imagembgreenwalt:

I FF DD1 and FF and tried BF DD2 until she repeatedly broke out in whole body hives from her milk/soy allergy.  I'm all for doing what is best for your family whether it is BF or FF.  I don't understand why it is only the hospitals under attack, about 2 days of the 9 month journey is spent in the hospital (assuming there aren't complications).  Why would the Governor not spend his energy and money on creating education tools for the women to obtain during their pregnancy so they can research, educate themselves and ask their OB questions during their pregnancy?  This seems like a much better way to go.  The way he is presenting his case is very attacking and feels like he is trying to take away a mother's choice/right. 

ETA:  I wonder, can they stop a mom from bringing their own formula to the hospital? 

Out of all the comments yours is my favorite. I couldn't have said it better. I BF and was pushe to supplement with formula but I had educated myself before giving birth and was ok. Yes it was hard and yes I could have gone the easy route but I made MY choice. He needs choose his words better and maybe people may understand what he is trying to do. I think some people do take advantage of the free formula. Not all but most.  

• imagelittlewinnie15:

Love. Love your blog!  

• imagesccalla:

Love her post about this issue. Thanks for sharing that. 

• I disagree with this entirely. You can't force women to BF. It's an attack on women's health. So this basically means its okay to let a child starve if a mother can't BF, than to give the baby formula. No, I'm not okay with this. You can't force a mother to BF.
    Married 02.06.10
    DS1 born 11.19.11
    DS2 born 07.02.14

• imagesccalla:
    imageauthorofdreamz:

Thanks for sending the link to this.  I'm glad there is support for moms who BF. You know the ones who are lazy and don't care enough about their child. Forget that sometimes a woman's body has issues producing milk, it's her fault anyways. Sorry for the intense sarcasm. My aunt just had her baby 2 weeks ago and is BFing him. She likes to shove it down my throat how important it is and how much better it is than FF.  Thanks. Huh?

Married 02.06.10
    DS1 born 11.19.11
    DS2 born 07.02.14

• imagelittlewinnie15:

The only background I have on this topic is the link that was posted in this thread which didn't make any of this particularly clear.  This might sound completely ignorant, but I still don't see how it's that big of a deal.  If you plan to formula feed from the beginning wouldn't you be taking formula with you to the hospital anyways?  And if there were some medical issue that required the use of formula wouldn't it be a nurse that suggested it anyways?  I don't think it's either of these scenarios they're trying to prevent.  I think it's the hormonal tired mom that just gives in that they're worried about and they want to prevent this from being something that is introduced in a moment of desperation rather than something that is well thought through.  To some degree this program is probably designed to facilitate a change in how the staff approaches the problem.  A lot of the times a nurse is the one to suggest formula to a tired mom and that NEEDS to change.

Keep in mind this is coming from someone who's DS got way more formula than ever intended and I definitely believe that it was lack of education that led us down that road.

Shawn and Larissa
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"