High-Risk Pregnancy

Cystic hygroma?

I'm just numb right now.  After over 4 weeks of restricted activity for a subchorionic hematoma, I had a bleeding episode today and another ultrasound.  Baby is measuring at 13w, 5d, heartbeat is good, but there is a cystic hygroma in baby's neck region.  My OB is referring me to the high-risk OB who delivered my second son for an amnio and told me there's a good chance we're looking at a chromosomal abnormality. 

Having run the gammut of high-risk pregnancy, I find myself completely unprepared for this.  Can anyone offer any words of wisdom, hope, support?  I've spent the last 4 hours crying my eyes out with my husband and we're terrified.  Thank you.  

Samuel Gregory-born 2/28/08 at 35w,5d due to severe pre-e and HELLP. 6lbs, 12 oz, 19 inches. Elijah Robert-born 11/23/09 at 38w,5d. 11 pounds, 10 ounces, 21.5 inches. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers <a href="http://s740.photobucket.com/albums/xx46/carlyn_mcclelland/Facebook/Cover Photos/?action=view

Re: Cystic hygroma?

• I am so sorry you are going through this. There is a good chance it will resolve itself, and there is a chance there is no chromosomal abnormality--some women do go on to have a healthy baby despite this diagnosis. 

Take care of yourself: I know it's painful but the best thing you can do for your baby is to hold onto hope, try to relax, drink plenty of fluids and eat well.

imageimage
  • KadyraKadyra member
    It could be anything. And 13 weeks is smidge early to tell something like that. And like pp said, it could resolve. The chromosomal abnormality we worry about is Turner's syndrome. If you don't mind a short girl with no ovaries, that's about what to expect from that. My T&P are with you. I hope that it's nothing. 
    Photobucket Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • sgb721sgb721 member

Cystic hygroma does not necessarily mean chromosomal abnormality, It could be a physical defect with the heart that is to early to see. Sometimes those things can be fixed and or resolve. I saw a few high risk OB's for my two little ones and two said that pending  pending the size of the hygroma some babies re-absorb the fluid. The big thing is there are no hydrops (fluid around the body)

Stay strong!! I have been in your position twice and it is terrifying but you are strong and you'll be strong for your baby!!!

Please feel free to PM me if you need anything!! I'm so sorry for your position right now and I truly feel for you in this scary time. 

TTC since June 2010
    5 Angels

Lilypie - (hlC0)
  • I responded - a novel - on 2nd tri.  Good luck to you!
    Baby Boy born sleeping at 20 weeks.
  • I'm so sorry for this stress! I don't have any experience with this, but I hope you get the answers you need. Big hugs today, I'll be thinking of you!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"