Babies on the Brain
Options

New vaccine harm article.

Just saw this article posted to FB with the caption "So glad we stopped vaccinating our children.":

https://vactruth.com/2012/07/27/vaccines-killed-8-children/

Ugh....I came across some really awful pictures of children with Smallpox as I was doing some research.  I was tempted to post them.

I get so annoyed with people.

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: New vaccine harm article.

• Options
    People don't seem to realize that the less people who are vaccinated the less our herd immunity works. We take risks with every single decision we make as parents. Some Children don't react well to vaccines but in general they help protect all of us from illnesses we once considered "extinct"
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm very sure that we'll vaccinate (esp since I'm a scientist), but I understand the other side too. My babysitter's daughter got meningitis from chicken pox and suffered permanent brain damage. She can live a mostly independent life now, but there's a lot of potential that was taken away.

On the other hand, I think the chicken pox vaccine is dumb. We'll do the rest of them, but I'm not convinced (despite the story above) that it's necessary. Everyone I know in my age group got chicken pox, stayed home for a week, and went on.

I know that I'm contradicting myself, but I can't help it. I'm sure we'll probably do the chicken pox vaccine too when the time comes.

imageimage
    7,065/13,000=54.3%
    Started TTC in June 2008. Not bothering any more.

Bonafide thread killah
  • Options
    Bio, you and I feel very similar on the chicken pox front. We'll be going the same route, it seems.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageMsCraftsy:
    Bio, you and I feel very similar on the chicken pox front. We'll be going the same route, it seems.

Yeah, same here.  I had chicken pox in kindergarten or first grade.  I have vague memories of it, but I remember being home for a few days and that was it.  

Actually I have a scar/mark on my arm from chicken pox.  It's the size of a freckle.  

R&K married 4.15.11. TTC #1 since 7.11.12

BFP #1 9.9.12 EDD 5.21.13 c/p 9.12.12 at 4 weeks 1 day

BFP #2 10.15.12 EDD 6.28.13 c/p 10.19.12 at  4 weeks.

BFP #3 1.19.13 EDD 10.1.13 Eleanor born 10.7.13 at 40 weeks 6 days

13dpo hcg@32, progesterone@13.7, 15dpo hcg@110, 16dpo progesterone@25.9

My blog:Urban Times in Michigan ~ My Bfp Chart

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imagekelle017:

imageMsCraftsy:

Yeah, same here.  I had chicken pox in kindergarten or first grade.  I have vague memories of it, but I remember being home for a few days and that was it.  

Actually I have a scar/mark on my arm from chicken pox.  It's the size of a freckle.  

Same here.  I had it in kindergarten, and have a small scar from it.  We will probably delay the chicken pox vacc but do the others on schedule.  I am researching the delayed vacc schedule now to see if we want to go that route. The only thing I am sure on is that our children will get vacc lol.

• Options
    atcwagatcwag member

I will definitely vaccinate.  I do see the view on the Chickenpox vaccine.  Like people before me, I had it, was sick for a week and went about my business.  I know it's not like that for all people, but there is risk to just about everything.

When the time comes, I will look into spacing vaccinations out, not necessarily a delayed schedule, but making sure my baby isn't getting numerous shots at one time.

In life, everything has risks.  You have to weigh the known benefits vs. the potential risks and pick something that you can live with.  Do I think that there are harmful effects of vaccines, absolutely.  Could I live with myself if my child contracted a deadly illness because I didn't vaccinate?  No.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I've never had chicken pox and had the vaccine. 

We will/have been vaccinating on schedule. Parents who don't vaccinate make me irrationally angry at the fact that they are potentially exposing other children as well as their own to dangerous illnesses. 

• Options
    I'm a big time lurker but I had to chime in regarding the chicken pox vaccine. No, chicken pox itself isn't that terrible for most people and for us it was kind of a right of passage. I understand not being worried about it. However- have you ever been close to somebody with shingles? It's horrible and super painful and can take months to get even bearable. I will definitely give DD the chicken pox vaccine just to prevent the possibility of shingles in later life! (and really, we all had chicken pox but it was unpleasant. I'd like to spare her from that, as well!)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I don't trust articles about vaccines that come from sources like "vactruth." It's like you don't care that you're absorbing biased information that's often untrue. It's like getting information on abortion from site like preistsforlife or getting information on politics from conservapedia. It's like you're asking to be lied to.

I know one mom who criticized us for getting both DS and DD vaccinated because of the autism risk. Not only had she never heard of herd immunity, but she went on and on about the "science" behind these sorts of arguments, but when I brought up the over 1000 studies disproving an autism risk, she said "Oh, I don't trust scientific journals." WHAT?

• Options

imagecmsdouglas:
    I'm a big time lurker but I had to chime in regarding the chicken pox vaccine. No, chicken pox itself isn't that terrible for most people and for us it was kind of a right of passage. I understand not being worried about it. However- have you ever been close to somebody with shingles? It's horrible and super painful and can take months to get even bearable. I will definitely give DD the chicken pox vaccine just to prevent the possibility of shingles in later life! (and really, we all had chicken pox but it was unpleasant. I'd like to spare her from that, as well!)

Ditto. And I'd like to add on the prospect of having to take a week off work to care for a child who's home from school w/ CP is nothing to dismiss for a lot of people, either - add in a second child who gets it a few days after their sibling and you could be out of work/school for many weeks. 

Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
  • Options
    imageatcwag:

Just saw this article posted to FB with the caption "So glad we stopped vaccinating our children.":

https://vactruth.com/2012/07/27/vaccines-killed-8-children/

Ugh....I came across some really awful pictures of children with Smallpox as I was doing some research.  I was tempted to post them.

I get so annoyed with people.

And in regard to this - VacTruth is an antivax propaganda mill. Of COURSE they're going to find some link to anything they can to prove their point, however wrong it is.

Six years of infertility and loss, four IUIs, one IVF and one very awesome little boy born via med-free birth 10.24.13.
  • Options
    The chicken pox vaccine efficacy has been found to be good for about five years in patients who've gotten the vaccine. Makes much more sense, at this point, to get the disease then follow up with the shingles vaccine later in life.
  • Options

I am also a lurker but just had to leave a comment. There are several articles that are reliable about the potential harm of vaccines. You just have to do some serious research to find them. Vaccines are a multi billion dollar company, they will tell you exactly what you want to hear. Even Dr. Sears states in the intro of his book about vaccines that you have to do your own research and not so much just rely on what you dr. says. After all they never take one class on vaccinations, all of their info comes straight from Big Pharm companies. Anyways here is a peer reviewed article from PubMed. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/21568886/ 

I can't get it to be clicky for some reason. 

Now back to lurking... 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"