Stay at Home Moms

If you ever had a garage sale selling your kids clothes...

I have a billion pieces of clothes that I need to sell.  I am wondering how to display the clothing?  I have a ton of 2T and could fill 7 boxes...but I want people to see them.  Any ideas.  I have everything for both genders from newborn to 3T in size/season/gender order so far.  Also...how did you price pieces?  I have a ton of name brand items, but figure $1 each would make them go.  Any advice is appreciated.

Re: If you ever had a garage sale selling your kids clothes...

• I just put all the 0-6 months in one box, 6-12, etc. A few really nice designer items I displayed as outfits. I didn't sell a single item by itself, people just would buy the whole box for say 10 or 15 dollars.

I did put up signs saying baby clothes 25 cents a piece. That seemed the most people would spend. I live in a very high cost of living city so I was surprised. The cheapest thing I had was gymboree and most stuff was boutique stuff. Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Newt69Newt69 member

See if you can borrow table from your local fire dept/ambulance service/VFW hall (or offer a donation) and display them by size and gender. Put girls stuff on 1 side of the yard and boys on the other side, make huge signs to advertise and direct people to the tables.

I don't know how affluent your neighborhood is or type of clothes but please do not ask ridiculous prices. I wont pay more then 2-3 dollars for an outfit from a garage sale and it has to be near new condition (no stains, barely worn/washed) and that's a full outfit; top, bottoms, hat.

Also keep everything even amounts, maybe label a table 2 shirts/pants/ or combo for $1.00, to keep your self from being inundated with quarters and having to keep a stash of quarters to give change.

• Loading the player...
  • My mom's group does a huge annual garage sale and time and time again the things that are hung sell the best.  We just buy some PVC pipe, string it on rope, and hang it from tree to tree or ladder to ladder.  The things that are folded get sold as well, but not nearly as well.  

As far as pricing, it depends on how badly you want it gone.  When I want things gone I put 50 cents per item or $1-2 per outfit.  

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Also, try selling at Consignment sales.. The Fall sales are coming up(I'm taking stuff to one tomorrow) .. People will spend more there than a yard sale and you will make more, even if you priced it the same as a yard sale since they get more traffic.

On the yard sale note, I went to one a while back and they had totes by sizes.. 0-3 months, 3-6 months, etc. It was an indoor sale but I just sat in the floor and went through a couple of bins. She priced them at 50cent a piece but said she would sale a whole tote if I was interested, which I was not. I'd be willing to pay up to $1 for pants and 50cent for a onesie in good shape(no stains!) I'd put a price on each tote and then say "Entire tote $X" 

You could put out a few blankets on the ground and group sizes together folded up that way.

• I would have a table with some of the best stuff out and folded or hung and the bins next to it.  Just keep refilling the table.  People don't like to dig around here.  I'll pay .50-1.00 for a shirt and up to two dollars for pants (with adjustable waist and name brand). 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • jw87jw87 member
    I'm having a garage sale this weekend and I'm going to make a sign that says "fill the bag for $5" and put out plastic grocery bags I've saved, so they can fill a whole bag full of clothes for an even $5.  Hopefully it will get rid of a bunch of stuff!  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Honestly, I do consignment sales. Make way more money that way.  I wouldrather donate to someone in need than make 50 cents off an item, esp when most of DD's stuff s Gymboree
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"