Pregnant after a Loss

frustrated w/ doctors office

So, now that we are 29 weeks, the doc has been after me for that wonderful gluclose test.  I tried to go 2 weeks ago, and got sick after drinking 1/2 of the stuff.  I was told that I was unable to do that test because all the stuff had to stay down.  So my docs office just called to onfirm my appt for Thursday and ask if I did my glulose test and to tell me that I still need more bloodwork because they never did my HIV testing.  Well, I have only been w/ my husband for years, I had an HIV test w/ our baby Savannah, and its not my fault that it was never ordered.  As far as the glocolse test, I told them what happened, and she said well you dont have to fast, this will help with the nausea.  I told her that I was already told that and I did not fast, but a lot of things are having trouble staying down these days and she said well, the test is good for your baby and only going to help her so you will have to try to re-do it.  I told her that I could not even drive home because I thought I was going to pass out and that stuff really messed w/ my body for the rest of the day and she there must be another way and she just kept telling me how important it was to try it for the sake of the baby...... Like I am doing this on purpose lady, nobody want a healthy baby more than I do, so get off my case.... ugh, sorry for the vent, just needed to share the unsympathetic views of some people. 

Have a great day ladies !!!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

Re: frustrated w/ doctors office

• As for the HIV test, I'm pretty sure you can refuse that without anyone being able to tell you otherwise. 

As far as the glucose test goes, it does suck, but unfortunately the nurse was only doing her job, and you should try to redo it.  However, I'm pretty sure that you are supposed to fast for it in order to get accurate results.  Could you arrange for your SO to come with you for the test so that you can have company while you are sitting in the waiting room, to help distract you from feeling icky, and he can drive you home afterwards?  I'm not sure if there are any alternatives to it, honestly, other than going on the GD diet as a precautionary measure.  Definitely ask your OB if there are.   

I hope you're able to get it done and over with without being sick again.

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
    BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
    BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
    BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
    Our little man is getting bigger every day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    My BFP Chart
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think you can refuse the HIV test but if you do they test the baby for it right after baby is born.  It's really preventitive-if a mother is HIV positive and gets on treatment quickly enough, it is possible for the baby to be born uninfected-that is why HIV tests are pushed on the mother, I think.
    BFP #1: 3/28/09: DD born 12/11/09
    BFP #2: 11/16/11: M/C at 7 weeks
    BFP #3: 03/24/12: C/P 03/28/12
    BFP #4: 04/26/12: please be our baby
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMrs.DeliaMarieP:

As for the HIV test, I'm pretty sure you can refuse that without anyone being able to tell you otherwise. 

As far as the glucose test goes, it does suck, but unfortunately the nurse was only doing her job, and you should try to redo it.  However, I'm pretty sure that you are supposed to fast for it in order to get accurate results.  Could you arrange for your SO to come with you for the test so that you can have company while you are sitting in the waiting room, to help distract you from feeling icky, and he can drive you home afterwards?  I'm not sure if there are any alternatives to it, honestly, other than going on the GD diet as a precautionary measure.  Definitely ask your OB if there are.   

I hope you're able to get it done and over with without being sick again.

This is not necessarily true.  My doctor tells his patients taking the 1 hr glucose test to eat normally the day of the test.  With the 2 or 3 hr, you have to fast, but it IS NOT necessary with the 1hr.  When I took my GD test for DS, I did it at 3:30 in the afternoon after eating normally all day.  I passed with flying colours. 

Also, I have heard that some drs use jelly beans as the glucose source.  Can you ask your doc about that alternative?  Does your doc do a urine dip at every appt to check for Sugar and Protein in your urine?  If they do this and you show no presence of sugar and absolutely can not tolerate the GTT test, they can maybe use this as a guideline and if/when sugar shows in your urine, you can just adopt a GD diet.  You should talk to your Doc about this, avoid the nurse.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"