Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Upcoming Birthday

HELLO BUMPIES!

I am currently planning DD's FIRST birthday! So I will be regularly posting on this board, just wanted to say HELLO, and ask a question... 

When you had your child's first birthday, what would you have done differently, and/or what are some good pointers for a less stressful event?

Thanks! :)

Re: Upcoming Birthday

• Options

LO's birthday party was on his actual birthday (on the weekend).  Those invited were immediate family and close friends (about 20 people total between children and adults).  

We did a simple theme based off a cute invite I found on shutterfly.  LO wasn't really "into" any specific show, character, etc so we focused on simple but colorful balloon theme.  

We hosted it at our home with a start time of 1pm so that it would start shortly after LO's morning nap.  This allowed us to get stuff done while he was napping and he woke up well rested!  We kept the food simple: pulled pork sandwiches, scalloped potatoes, fruit tray, veggie tray and chips, etc. and desserts were birthday cake and ice cream and cookies.  It was kinda chilly that time of fall in our area so we wanted warm food.

Enjoy planning!!! 

• Options

What I would have done differently is I would have chosen things that didn't have to be done last minute. For example, DS' birthday was in the winter, and I wanted to make "hot chocolate on a stick" favors that requires making homemade chocolate blocks, homemade marshmallows etc.  It couldn't be done until within a couple days of the party. Bad idea!  I was so rushed and stressed. I should have chosen to do things I could take my time with and do in advance.

Good luck!

DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD's real birthday fell on a Tuesday so we held it the Saturday before.  We tired to keep it small, but DH's family is so big we ended up with 35+ people.  One of her favorite foods at the time was  quesodillas  so we created a mexican themed menu. That was a far as we went with a theme.  Just bought colorful plates, napkins, etc. We had a pinata for the older cousins who came.  It was fun, and as low key as possible.  Like a PP said, tried to plan as much as possible that can be done ahead of time.  Even though are party didn't start until 1 and I thought I had a ton of time-people showed up early and I ran out of time!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

DDs birthday was in December and we had a big Winter ONEderland party. It went off so well with about 40 people. We held it on a Sunday so I spent the whole day Saturday with my mom decorating the house. By the time I went to bed I had nothing left to worry about because I had it so planned out. Plan,plan, prep! He had tons of food and wine/beer for adults and the best part was being able to enjoy the day with my DH and kids instead of running around like a crazy lady. Here is a pic of one of the rooms I did.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

We only invited immediate family and told them it was cake and ice cream only. We did it after his morning nap, but before his afternoon one. Once everyone got there we did presents (with mommy's help) then cake and ice cream. In total it was a couple hours then once everyone left we played and took our second nap of the day.

My best advice is keep it simple- and don't get frustrated if LO doesn't cooperate!

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"