Natural Birth

Insurance coverage for homebirth?

I have my first appt with my midwife on Thurs so I will definitely ask her the but I'm wondering if anybody had their insurance cover their homebirth expenses (I have a Cigna PPO if that makes any difference) or if this is normally something that is paid for out of pocket?

I have the option of going to the birthing center section at the hospital, but honestly I'm loving the idea of a homebirth more and more and if everything goes well with this pregnancy I would like to pursue that option.

Anniversary

Re: Insurance coverage for homebirth?

• My insurance would cover CNMs but not CPMs and did not specify that location mattered.  Of course that's only if the CNM accepts the insurance.  I have Tricare through the military.  We're paying completely out of pocket for our home birth.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Currently going through our second deployment. Can't wait for Zoe to meet her daddy!

• It's probably going to depend on your insurance specifically and what it covers.  For example, I have a friend (who actually has Cigna as well) who had a home birth.  She had to pay 100% up front, but was able to submit for reimbursement and after some time eventually got some of the money back.  Of course doing it this way you're not really guaranteed anything so you may want to go into it think you're paying OOP and anything you get reimbursed for is just bonus :) 

If you have a PPO and the MW you use isn't a in-network provider then they may be covered under the out-of-network coverage policy, which is usually where the reimbursement situation would come into play.  If they are an in-network provider then I can't imagine the insurance company could really decide to cover a hospital birth with them, but not a home birth.

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Loading the player...
  • we have Kaiser HMO and they will not cover a home birth at all :(
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We are paying out of pocket as well. Insurance would only cover midwives in network, and those CNMs do not do home births. However, with our insurance, we end up paying less for a home birth ($2200) than a hospital birth ($3800 + hopital fees).
    Lilypie - (qptF)

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    "Elsie Irene was born sleeping at 35w 6d on December 8, 2012. Mommy and Daddy miss you sweet girl."

• imageBreanneL24:
    My insurance said they would cover my MW as "out of network". Her fees didn't meet the deductible so we never even filed them.

I definitely would pay every cent and even more for another homebirth. We had to struggle to find the extra money to pay for it but it was worth every cent.

If you dont mind me asking..was it crazy expensive? We just closed on our home so I'm not to sure we would be able to afford anything over 3 or 4K and 4 would definitely be pushing it.

Anniversary
  • @ Noethola Oh wow thats not bad at all!
    Anniversary
  • *LrCg**LrCg* member
    With my first 2 kids my insurance covered a homebith (but not a birthing center) with a CNM only.  This is my 3rd and the same insurance company covers a homebirth and birthing center with a CNM or CPM.  My oldest is 3 so I was surprised how much has changed in a small amount of time!  Good for my insurance company!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"