October 2011 Moms

**ami.japan**

Hi there, I have the randomest question for you that i thought of after reading Papps grocery store post.

I am a waitress and I work at a fairly nice seafood restaurant.  we get a lot of businessmen and a good portion of them are Japanese.  without fail, they always order lobsters. I just assumed they were splurging and having a nice meal on their companies dime but then someone told me that the price of lobster in Japan is ridiculously high so that is why they always order them here.  is that true? how much per pound do they cost?  right now around here you can get lobsters for $4-$5 a pound, so they're not expensive at all, really.  just curious, thanks! 

imageimage

Re: **ami.japan**

• I have heard watermelon is super pricey in Japan.
    siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894 photo siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894-1_zpscf1469c3.jpg
  • Oh, I like this topic!  Lobsters are my absolute favorite food. I grew up in Maine and would've eaten lobster rolls on the beach all summer long if my parents had let me.  Lobsters as we know them aren't usually found in Japanese restaurants. I think I've had one exactly once and it was a Surf 'n' Turf dish with half a lobster for about $100.  What you can find are something called "ise ebi" which are like small ones without the claws. They're still quite pricey, maybe $30-40 per dish? And IMO it's the claws that make the lobstah!

Fruit can also get crazy expensive out of season. Melons are in now so they're about $10 for a biggie.  L had never eaten peaches because until recently they were twenty bucks a pop!  I used to have a photo of a specially grown square watermelon that was pretty neat. Maybe you can google it. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"