Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Problem with Swaddling

Our baby is 8 weeks old. She sleeps in her Rock and Play in her room. We swaddle her for sleep. She is not a fan of the swaddle, but sleeps better swaddled. We use the SwaddleMe Blankets. 

Her goal is to try to break out of the swaddle in the night. She is a very "active" baby and is constantly moving. So with all the moving in the night she continually moves the swaddle blanket up around her face. 

We have a video monitor and my poor husband is up all night because he is continually checking to make sure her face is not covered which it is often. 

We have tried the Halo Sleepsacks and found a similar problem as she kind of sinks into it and it again covers her mouth. 

If she slept in her crib it probably wouldn't be a problem because she wouldn't be sleeping at an incline where she can slip into the blanket or sack. She has reflux so she doesn't like sleeping flat.

So any suggestions you may have are welcome! We just want her to sleep swaddled, but no matter how much she moves - it doesn't cover her mouth and nose.  

Re: Problem with Swaddling

• My son did the same thing! Look up the miracle blanket, this will solve that problem, or you can do what we are doing which is a 'double swaddle'. Here is a video on what that is..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hnfv3AUpf4

I dont fold in a triangle, though, I just put the blanket in a long rectangle, and fold the arms down, then with the extra blanket I don't put in between the legs. I just put the extra blanket material in with the legs in the bottom of the swaddleme! He calms right down, and if he doesn't, then I rock him a few min then he'll calm down! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • DD is a little Houdini too.  You need the Miracle Blanket.  Same concept as the double swaddle, but easier.  They sell them online at BRU and I think through their own website too,  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • You definitely need the Miracle Blanket.  My DD was breaking out of the Halo sleep sacks and the Swaddle Me, but she never breaks out of the Miracle Blanket.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Hi there, Halo here.  I saw your post and wanted to offer some advice that might help.   As  your baby sleeps on an incline, as you describe, gravity can contribute to causing the baby to slide down into the swaddle.  Other contributing factors could be that the swaddle is too big for the baby, it's not wrapped tightly enough, or the wings aren't secured properly.  You describe her as an ?active? baby.  We?ve found that some babies just don?t like to be swaddled.  With the HALO SleepSack, you can swaddle your baby with her arms out, giving her the sensation of the swaddle while note restricting her arms.  Try this, and see if it helps.  Moms have told us this works like a charm.  Plus, when she is ready to stop swaddling this practice makes it easier to transition your baby to a SleepSack wearable blanket.  Hope this helps!
    Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"