Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

any tips on getting LO to be nice?

DD seems to be a bit of a bully, she is meanest to kids younger than her and my grandmother.  I get that she's 2 and it's what 2 year olds do, but it breaks my heart that she's not a sweet, friendly little girl to my grandma.  She just gives her dirty looks and kind of grunts if my grandma talks to her or someone tells her to tell my grandma something ("Did you tell GG you went to the zoo today?").  I try to talk up our visits, sometimes she'll say she wants to see GG, and sometimes she says she doesn't like her.  Any tips on getting her to be friendly again?
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Teterboro 5K 7/16/11 23:22 Tenafly 5K 6/5/11 26:48 1st in age group and stroller division Teterboro 5K 7/17/10 24:42 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/25/10 28:18 4 1/2 weeks pp Teterboro Airport 5K 7/18/09 22:35 3rd place age group 4 1/2 weeks pregnant Long Branch 1/2 5/3/09 1:51:07 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/26/09 22:22 NJEA 5K 11/7/08 22:30 2nd place age group Westchester 1/2 10/12/08 1:50:16 Teterboro Airport 5K 7/19/08 23:43 Long Branch 1/2 5/4/08 1:54:18 Giant Stadium 5K 4/26/08 error in timing Hackensack 5K 10/14/07 23:55 1st place in age group

Re: any tips on getting LO to be nice?

• Options
    *LrCg**LrCg* member

I don't have issues with my kids (2 & 3) being mean but sometimes they will backtalk and I always respond "do I talk to you that way" or "do you hear Daddy talk to me that way" "How would you like it if the next time you asked me to play I talked like that to you", etc.  That always puts a stop to it. 

If she's being mean to kids younger, I would just tell her that's not the way we act and if you can't act nice then you don't get to play.  As for your grandma- is there something they can connect on (coloring, books, etc)?  My DD is 2 and is very skittish around others and our neighbor just adores her.  So she just kinda kept her distance (of course said hi) but waited for DD to come to her.  The big bonding moment was she downloaded kids books on her Kindle and my DD never seeing a Kindle/Ipad, etc. before thought that was super cool and she's been connected with her ever since.  Is this something new with your Grandma or has it always been like that?  Perhaps before you go to your Grandma's you need to tell her how you expect her to act- polite, no mean faces, etc.

• Options

I don't know about your DD, but my DD is kinde of like this too, even around family, because we don't see them all too often being 2 hours away from everyone. But sometimes she'll be this way DH. 

I realized that she's VERY sensitive when others are sad though. Like she looks like she's about to cry when some other kid is crying. And maybe this is because I do the same in front of her. It started as just a way to teach her emotions, but I think it might actually be teaching her empathy too, which I think is even more important.

It might sound silly, but what helps us is saying, "that really hurts daddy's feelings when you don't answer his questions or ignore him/don't give him a hug/don't play with him/don't share with him/whatever, can you please go _________(desired behavior) so he won't cry or feel sad anymore?" I even have DH fake cry or just pout so she'll see. Works like a charm, but we do have to do it quite often, however, I feel like the frequency is starting to slow down, so maybe it's helping.  

I wanted to add that this was after we tried lots of timeouts. Those don't seem to sink in  as well as the guilt trips in these situations though. ;)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"