Pregnant after 35

Sequential results

I am 35; DH is 41.

Our final results for Downs are 1:1900, for Trisomy 18 are 1:7500, and for a neural tube defect are 1:8000.

I know these are good, but for my daughter, when I was 33, Downs was 1:7500 and Trisomy 18 was 1:10,000, so comparatively, these results make me nervous.

The doc said the difference could be due solely to my age, in other words, I could have the same NT measurement and blood work levels but still get lower odds because of my age alone.

My question is, with these odds, would you go ahead and get the MaterniT21 blood test, or just say screw it and assume everything is just fine? What were your odds like at 35?

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Sequential results

• Those odds would put my mind at ease. But if the MaterniT21 is covered by your insurance and you can do it why not?
  • imageExcitedMum2B:
    Those odds would put my mind at ease. But if the MaterniT21 is covered by your insurance and you can do it why not?

This was my thinking and what I did. I didn't even wait for sequential before going for maternit21 and so when they told me my odds, it was like back up to1:10,000 for trisomy.  

IVF #1 ET 1 d3 embryo 10/30/11 BFP
    3 Embryos frozen (1 d5, 2 d6)

DS born 07/29/12

FET #1 ET 1 d5 embryo 02/10/15 BFN

FET #2 1 d6 embryo didn't survive thaw, transferred last d6. CP :(

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks. We do have PPO BCBS with 100% lab coverage, so my guess is that it's covered. I think I'll call and ask, though, and go ahead and get the test.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageSmileyGirl18:

imagehmontty:
    Thanks. We do have PPO BCBS with 100% lab coverage, so my guess is that it's covered. I think I'll call and ask, though, and go ahead and get the test.

I have the same insurance and it wasn't covered.  Each policy is different.  If it isn't covered, it will be $235 OOP.

However, with results like your's I wouldn't do any further testing.  They are great results.  Relax and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy.

I agree with not having further testing.  Those numbers are great.  I have odds of 1:62 for downs but have decided that I don't want further testing.  There is no need to worry the rest of your pregnancy.  Enjoy it!!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • jg1011jg1011 member

The odds are definitely affected by age. My doctor informed me of that when we had less than desirable results from Integrated NT scan. (While all other numbers were quite high, my Down Syndrome risk was 1 in 120 intially with 1st trimester blood alone and then something like 1 in 270 with the 12 week NT scan.) My doctor said my NT scan measurements were "terrific" and the results were definitely thrown by my age (38) and blood protein/horomone results. Since we were definitively not terminating regardless, he encouraged me to wait to make any decisions until the 18 week genetic sonogram and 2nd tri blood work for integrated scan. With those results my results improved tremendously. We went from 1 in 270 to 1 in 540---just based on the Genetic sono. When they added blood results I went up to 1 in 700 something).

My 18 week genetic sonogram and my 20 week Level 2 anatomy scan both showed ZERO soft markers for Down Syndrome. My doctor told told me the decision was mine, but he was not pushing for amnio. He also told me he didn't know if I should lay out all of that money for Materni21 test. He felt that my odds improved significantly taking me out of "risk" range and with the perfectly clean sonos the test or amnio wasn't warranted.

Just my experience. I know peace of mind might lead you in another direction.

Good luck!

IMG_4550[1] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I will be 35 at delivery and decided to get the MaternT21 at the same time I did the first part of my NT.  Having the extra peace of mind was worth the extra few hundred bucks to me.  My odds ended up being 1:5000 and 1:10000 which I was thrilled considering my age but its still not a diagnostic test.  I preferred something more specific than the risk assessment.

BabyFruit Ticker It's a Girl!
  • I would not do further testing and I am a need to know girl. 

Look at this another way.  Your numbers with this pg are 99.947% that your baby does not have Downs, 99.986% that your baby does not have Tri18 and 99.988 that your baby does not have a neural tube defect.  Essentially odds are that your baby is 100% perfect, but if you can't sleep without a definitive answer, then have the materniT21 test, then you will know for sure and can rest easy.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I also have BCBS and the genetic counselor said that BCBS typically does not cover the genetic testing.  She gave me a list with the billing codes so I could call and ask, but, if we end up going forward with any genetic testing, I am assuming we will be paying for it.

If you are planning on doing the sequential screening in 2nd tri, I would hold off on the Materni21 until you get those results.

The day the Bump died - Jasper is wise
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"