Food Allergy
Options

Anybody's child outgrow dairy allergy

DD has a dairy allergy.  Not an intolerance but an allergy (not down-playing an intolerance or anything like that, though).

I have heard it's easier to outgrow an intolerance than an allergy.  Is that true?  Has anyone seen a child or any person for that matter outgrow a dairy allergy?  Or do I need to just start getting used to cooking dairy free?

TIA.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Anybody's child outgrow dairy allergy

• Options

you can outgrow any allergy. you can also gain an allergy at any point in your life.  There are no rules.  we all hope and pray our kids outgrow these allergies.

My DS1 had milk/egg/peanut/sesame at 1 y/o.   At 1.5 y/o he had milk/soy/peanut allergy. At 2 y/o he has milk/egg/peanut/tree nut.   So things can change.

• Options
    imagemagdusia:

you can outgrow any allergy. you can also gain an allergy at any point in your life.  There are no rules.  we all hope and pray our kids outgrow these allergies.

My DS1 had milk/egg/peanut/sesame at 1 y/o.   At 1.5 y/o he had milk/soy/peanut allergy. At 2 y/o he has milk/egg/peanut/tree nut.   So things can change.

How old is your DS now?  I seem to remember you from the month boards (mainly 12-24, I think).  DS is now 2.5 months old.  He had a mild intolerance to milk that never really affected us very much.  I guess if someone told me to avoid too much milk in my last trimester with DD because of DS's history maybe I would not be here.

Sigh - I just have a bad feeling about all this (go figure, right).  We go in for more testing at 12 months old (should I just go back now?).  They did dairy and soy when she was 4 months old. Dairy was positive and soy was negative.  But she has had reactions to dairy, soy, rice and peanuts.  How hard to you find it cooking for your family with DS's allergies.  Wait - you are vegan, right?  So do you find that makes it easier to cook for his allergies?

I want her to eat everything we are eating for the most part - but I'm so afraid. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    mcleremclere member
    imageNiniJ55:
    imagemagdusia:

I guess if someone told me to avoid too much milk in my last trimester with DD because of DS's history maybe I would not be here.

Is this a fact do you know? I ate SO much milk (loved cereal) while I was pregnant and I'm dealing with some issues with her now. She had mucus (no blood) in her stool, VERY gassy, constant congested nose (since 11 weeks old), crying out in sleep, reflux symtoms and I've had her on Alimentum for 7 weeks now. She still cries out in her sleep and has the congested nose but the mucus went away and she barely has gas at all now. I'm having a VERY hard time getting doc's to listen to me. I'd like to try her on an elemental formual but they seem to think unless she has blood in her stools and is very colicky (she's a very happy baby...outside of crying in her sleep) she doesn't need that. 

Follow Me on Pinterest Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageNiniJ55:
    imagemagdusia:

How old is your DS now?  I seem to remember you from the month boards (mainly 12-24, I think).  DS is now 2.5 months old.  He had a mild intolerance to milk that never really affected us very much.  I guess if someone told me to avoid too much milk in my last trimester with DD because of DS's history maybe I would not be here.

Sigh - I just have a bad feeling about all this (go figure, right).  We go in for more testing at 12 months old (should I just go back now?).  They did dairy and soy when she was 4 months old. Dairy was positive and soy was negative.  But she has had reactions to dairy, soy, rice and peanuts.  How hard to you find it cooking for your family with DS's allergies.  Wait - you are vegan, right?  So do you find that makes it easier to cook for his allergies?

I want her to eat everything we are eating for the most part - but I'm so afraid. 

DS1 will be 3 in october.

If she was already tested at 4 months than i would wait until she's at last 8 months old. What made you get her tested at 4 months?

I'm not a vegan (was), I just don't eat meat, but while i'm at work i don't avoid dairy.  I cook meat for DH and DS1 all the time.

Last night i made rice and beans and DH grilled chicken for himself.. so to make it easy on myself i had rice/beans/avocado in a wrap. DH had rice/beans/chicken. DS1 had rice/beans/chicken nuggets.  So i have an idea for sides and then just throw meat for DH and DS.

My house is free of milk/eggs/nuts and very limited soy.  It's actually really easy to cook for a family free of all those things.  A crockpot became my BFF! i use it at least 2 or 3 times a week. 

If you want your DD to eat what you are eating than i would make your house allergy friendly and learn to cook what she can eat.  

if you make rosted potatoes and a veggie and then add a piece of checken or fish or turkey meatballs or roast beef than you got a meal that everyone can have and it's free of milk/eggs/nuts.  I make pasta with meatballs all the time and i just don't eat the meatballs.

Don't get me wrong, i wish we can all go out and just enjoy a slice of pizze -maybe one day :)

• Options
    imagemclere:
    imageNiniJ55:
    imagemagdusia:

I guess if someone told me to avoid too much milk in my last trimester with DD because of DS's history maybe I would not be here.

Is this a fact do you know? I ate SO much milk (loved cereal) while I was pregnant and I'm dealing with some issues with her now. She had mucus (no blood) in her stool, VERY gassy, constant congested nose (since 11 weeks old), crying out in sleep, reflux symtoms and I've had her on Alimentum for 7 weeks now. She still cries out in her sleep and has the congested nose but the mucus went away and she barely has gas at all now. I'm having a VERY hard time getting doc's to listen to me. I'd like to try her on an elemental formual but they seem to think unless she has blood in her stools and is very colicky (she's a very happy baby...outside of crying in her sleep) she doesn't need that. 

I have heard this from someone else too.  I wish I would have known as well- I ate cereal and ice cream like it was going out of style during my pregnancy- both at least once a day.  Embarrassed.  My DD has had mucusy diapers her whole life- I have brought photos to the doc, and they say it is normal, but I can't see how a diaper that has the consistency of snot and looks like wet nail polish could be normal.  I guess it is pretty easy to blame ourselves- but it would be good to let others be aware!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagemclere:
    imageNiniJ55:
    imagemagdusia:

Nope - just something that I heard.  I have no idea as to the validity of it.  But of course -- us moms would do anything if they say it "could" have prevented this.

I would take your child to an allergist if you pedi won't listen to you.  DD no longer has congestion, mucus or blood.  and her eczema is dramatically better-- but she still struggles with it a lot.  all the scratching and pulling at her skin.  Since she is starting solids and weaning from milk pedi suggested i not start the elemental formual - I went along with it.  But if you firmly believe you need an elemental formula for your baby -- you need to adovate for her. Take her elsewhere until someone listens.

• Options
    imagemagdusia:
    imageNiniJ55:
    imagemagdusia:

If she was already tested at 4 months than i would wait until she's at last 8 months old. What made you get her tested at 4 months?

I'm not a vegan (was), I just don't eat meat, but while i'm at work i don't avoid dairy.  I cook meat for DH and DS1 all the time.

Last night i made rice and beans and DH grilled chicken for himself.. so to make it easy on myself i had rice/beans/avocado in a wrap. DH had rice/beans/chicken. DS1 had rice/beans/chicken nuggets.  So i have an idea for sides and then just throw meat for DH and DS.

My house is free of milk/eggs/nuts and very limited soy.  It's actually really easy to cook for a family free of all those things.  A crockpot became my BFF! i use it at least 2 or 3 times a week. 

If you want your DD to eat what you are eating than i would make your house allergy friendly and learn to cook what she can eat.  

if you make rosted potatoes and a veggie and then add a piece of checken or fish or turkey meatballs or roast beef than you got a meal that everyone can have and it's free of milk/eggs/nuts.  I make pasta with meatballs all the time and i just don't eat the meatballs.

Don't get me wrong, i wish we can all go out and just enjoy a slice of pizze -maybe one day :)

We got her tested at 4 months old because she had (has) severe eczema (it was literally oozing) and the pedi said it was a classic sign of milk intolerance. On my own I decided to seek answers from an allergist - so one day I made an appointment and too her in. I wanted to know if it was an intolerance or an allergy. I avoided obvious dairy with DS... But DD is unable to handle any diary protein at all. Even the alimentum still bothers her a little.  

thanks so much for the responses. 

• Options
    NiniJ, or anyone else, can you tell me about allergy testing in kids this young?  Do you tell them what you think it may be?  Do they test just the top 8?  Environmental things as well?  If I suspect things, do I tell them to test beforehand?  I am going to be asking (well, if asking doesn't work, demanding :)) a referral for an allergist at our next Ped appt next week, and I have no clue what to expect.  I have heard of skin testing, RAST, Iug or something, patch testing... it all makes my head spin.  Any thoughts on how I should approach it?
  • Options

imagegrbnik:
    NiniJ, or anyone else, can you tell me about allergy testing in kids this young?  Do you tell them what you think it may be?  Do they test just the top 8?  Environmental things as well?  If I suspect things, do I tell them to test beforehand?  I am going to be asking (well, if asking doesn't work, demanding :)) a referral for an allergist at our next Ped appt next week, and I have no clue what to expect.  I have heard of skin testing, RAST, Iug or something, patch testing... it all makes my head spin.  Any thoughts on how I should approach it?

I don't know too much about allergy testing.  But we did the skin test.  I wish I requested for them to test for the top 8 and anything else they think we should.

We only tested for dairy and soy.  When I arrived they asked me what brought us in.  I told the allergist that the pediatrician said DD had classic signs of diary/ soy intolerance.  The blood in her stool did not even apear until after we had the test done.  Becuase of this they tested for dairy and soy and other environmental factors (i have both a cat and a dog).  I did not need a referral so I found a place who accepted my insurance online and went with that.

Yes, I would tell them my suspestions before hand.  it won't affect the test itself - Even I could see the positive result on DD's back and she was screaming until they gave her something to feel better.  Not all allegist accept peds and not all peds allergist do testing this young.  I would ask over the phone before making the appointment if they can do the test for you.  Mine did it at our first appointment.  I was happy and surprised.

• Options
    LSU628LSU628 member
    imageNiniJ55:

DD has a dairy allergy.  Not an intolerance but an allergy (not down-playing an intolerance or anything like that, though).

I have heard it's easier to outgrow an intolerance than an allergy.  Is that true?  Has anyone seen a child or any person for that matter outgrow a dairy allergy?  Or do I need to just start getting used to cooking dairy free?

TIA.

DD was tested at 8 or 9 months after months of battling eczema, what the pedi told us was reflux, and DD vomiting all the time. They patch tested DD (24 allergens total) and she tested positive for milk protein. She was retested a year later at 15 mo and was still positive for dairy. BUT at her 2.5 appt she was finally in the clear! So yes, someone can out grown an allergy. She still gets eczema flare ups from time to time, but I'll take that over the dairy allergy any day.
    imageimage
  • Options
    imageNiniJ55:
    imagemagdusia:
    imageNiniJ55:
    imagemagdusia:

We got her tested at 4 months old because she had (has) severe eczema (it was literally oozing) and the pedi said it was a classic sign of milk intolerance. On my own I decided to seek answers from an allergist - so one day I made an appointment and too her in. I wanted to know if it was an intolerance or an allergy. I avoided obvious dairy with DS... But DD is unable to handle any diary protein at all. Even the alimentum still bothers her a little.  

thanks so much for the responses. 

I find this funny.  I mean, not to disprove your doc, but I am a vegan and my DS1 had a dairy allergy and my DS2 had oozing eczema.  There was NO WAY dairy was getting into either of their systems.

DS1's issues have now resolved (to answer your original question), but there is much speculation that his dairy allergy is linked to his birth defect (EA/TEF) as it stunts the maturation of the digestive tract during fetal development.

As for DS2's oozing eczema, we are also a gluten free household now, and his eczema has stopped oozing and is clearing up altogether.  I couldn't be more thrilled!!  

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

According to research from Johns Hopkins Children?s Center published in Science Daily in December 2007, milk and egg allergies now appear to be more persistent and harder to outgrow:

?In what are believed to be the largest studies to date of children with milk and egg allergies, researchers followed more than 800 patients with milk allergy and nearly 900 with egg allergy over 13 years, finding that, contrary to popular belief, most of these allergies persist well into the school years and beyond. 

The bad news is that the prognosis for a child with a milk or egg allergy appears to be worse than it was 20 years ago, says lead investigator Robert Wood, M.D., head of Allergy & Immunology at Hopkins Children?s. Not only do more kids have allergies, but fewer of them outgrow their allergies, and those who do, do so later than before.

Researchers caution that their findings may reflect the fact that relatively more severe cases end up at Hopkins Children?s, but they believe there is a trend toward more severe, more persistent allergies.

The findings also give credence to what pediatricians have suspected for some time: More recently diagnosed food allergies, for still-unknown reasons, behave more unpredictably and more aggressively than cases diagnosed in the past. We may be dealing with a different kind of disease process than we did 20 years ago, Wood says. Why this is happening we just don?t know.

Earlier research suggested that three-quarters of children with milk allergy outgrew their condition by age 3, but the Johns Hopkins team found that just one-fifth of children in their studies outgrew their allergy by age 4, and only 42 percent outgrew it by age 8. By age 16, 79 percent were allergy-free.

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• Options
    imageJaysonandKristin:

I find this funny.  I mean, not to disprove your doc, but I am a vegan and my DS1 had a dairy allergy and my DS2 had oozing eczema.  There was NO WAY dairy was getting into either of their systems.

DS1's issues have now resolved (to answer your original question), but there is much speculation that his dairy allergy is linked to his birth defect (EA/TEF) as it stunts the maturation of the digestive tract during fetal development.

As for DS2's oozing eczema, we are also a gluten free household now, and his eczema has stopped oozing and is clearing up altogether.  I couldn't be more thrilled!!  

Well, that's why I went to an allergist and had her tested.  I wanted to  be sure the dr. was right about dx DD with a milk intolerance.  We did the scratch test and it came back positive.  I don't think my pedi meant that all babies with oozing eczema has some type of dairy allergy.  But by looking at DD's eczema she made her dx.

• Options
    imageNiniJ55:
    imageJaysonandKristin:

Well, that's why I went to an allergist and had her tested.  I wanted to  be sure the dr. was right about dx DD with a milk intolerance.  We did the scratch test and it came back positive.  I don't think my pedi meant that all babies with oozing eczema has some type of dairy allergy.  But by looking at DD's eczema she made her dx.

I'm sorry...  I think I came across as attacking you.  That's not how I meant it.  I literally think it's funny how doctors can look at the same thing and draw several different conclusions.  It's almost exhausting to be mothers against doctors sometimes.  

I didn't mean for you to feel like you needed to defend yourself.  I, personally, think you did the right thing, getting to the bottom of the food issue.  Persisting until you had some answers is admirable.  Sorry, again. 

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageluvmagoldn:

According to research from Johns Hopkins Children?s Center published in Science Daily in December 2007, milk and egg allergies now appear to be more persistent and harder to outgrow:

?In what are believed to be the largest studies to date of children with milk and egg allergies, researchers followed more than 800 patients with milk allergy and nearly 900 with egg allergy over 13 years, finding that, contrary to popular belief, most of these allergies persist well into the school years and beyond. 

The bad news is that the prognosis for a child with a milk or egg allergy appears to be worse than it was 20 years ago, says lead investigator Robert Wood, M.D., head of Allergy & Immunology at Hopkins Children?s. Not only do more kids have allergies, but fewer of them outgrow their allergies, and those who do, do so later than before.

Researchers caution that their findings may reflect the fact that relatively more severe cases end up at Hopkins Children?s, but they believe there is a trend toward more severe, more persistent allergies.

The findings also give credence to what pediatricians have suspected for some time: More recently diagnosed food allergies, for still-unknown reasons, behave more unpredictably and more aggressively than cases diagnosed in the past. We may be dealing with a different kind of disease process than we did 20 years ago, Wood says. Why this is happening we just don?t know.

Earlier research suggested that three-quarters of children with milk allergy outgrew their condition by age 3, but the Johns Hopkins team found that just one-fifth of children in their studies outgrew their allergy by age 4, and only 42 percent outgrew it by age 8. By age 16, 79 percent were allergy-free.

ugh.. this stinks! i wonder if it's because more children have the allergies now so the odds are changing.

• Options

At one point my oldest son was allergic to milk, peanuts, soy, eggs, tomatoes and pineapple.  He outgrew the tomato and pineapple by age 2.  He outgrew the soy next.  And then by age 3 he had outgrown the eggs.

He will turn five in a month and he is still allergic to milk and peanuts. 

My sitter told me that her pastors daughter just outgrew her milk allergy at age 7, so I haven't lost hope yet :)

• Options
    imagemagdusia:
    imageluvmagoldn:

ugh.. this stinks! i wonder if it's because more children have the allergies now so the odds are changing.

I am fairly confident that the rise in food allergies is a direct result of the introduction of GMO's 20 or so years ago. They have modified our foods, creating new proteins that our children's bodies can't handle and, therefore, react to. Most of the top 8 are the most genetically modified. We live in China right now and my daughter can tolerate so much more food here because most of what we eat is imported from Europe and Australia, where they ban or strictly regulate GMO's. She's allergic to dairy, wheat, soy, and egg. Robyn O'Brien's book The Unhealthy Truth is very enlightening.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rixyrCNVVGA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This article is from 5 years ago:  https://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=7277

I used to post here a lot, but got busy with the move to China and wanted to check in on the board. Hope you ladies don't mind me stopping by. 

• Options
    imageKSMILEY 77:
    imagemagdusia:
    imageluvmagoldn:

I am fairly confident that the rise in food allergies is a direct result of the introduction of GMO's 20 or so years ago. They have modified our foods, creating new proteins that our children's bodies can't handle and, therefore, react to. Most of the top 8 are the most genetically modified. We live in China right now and my daughter can tolerate so much more food here because most of what we eat is imported from Europe and Australia, where they ban or strictly regulate GMO's. She's allergic to dairy, wheat, soy, and egg. Robyn O'Brien's book The Unhealthy Truth is very enlightening.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rixyrCNVVGA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This article is from 5 years ago:  https://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=7277

I used to post here a lot, but got busy with the move to China and wanted to check in on the board. Hope you ladies don't mind me stopping by. 

Welcome back!

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"