High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Might be going on insulin. Advice?

I got my GD diagnosis about 2 weeks ago and just took the education class and started testing my BG last Friday (yeah, I was POed it took them that long to schedule me, but that's another story). I've adhered to the plan to the letter--never going over my allotted carb allowance, but my readings have been high (140-150) every single meal, no matter what I've eaten. I've tried only whole grains, no grains, all fruit/veggie, adding tons of protein and fat, etc. The only times I've gotten readings under 120 @ 1 hour are when I've only eaten 1/2 my carb allowance. I've had ketones in my urine every morning--a high amount this morning after I cut my carbs at two meals yesterday.

The GD doc thinks I'm doing all I can possibly do to control with diet and is suggesting that I go on insulin. She's really wonderful though and is not being pushy, just giving me facts and leaving the decision in my hands. I'm meeting with the insulin educator tomorrow, but don't have to make a decision one way or the other until I'm comfortable with it. 

So I'm wondering from those of you who are on insulin, what are the pros and cons? What would you do if you were me? For now I'm trying to eat fewer carbs more frequently to see if that helps. It's difficult to eat 9-10 times a day though. I have to work sometime, too!. 

I'm concerned about delivery. My first child was overdue and I was induced at 41+2. It was a horrible experience that ended in a very difficult c-section and recovery. I so want a vbac this time and my OB is absolutely in favor--but doesn't want me to go much past 41 weeks and that was before the GD diagnosis. Now I'm really worried that she's going to want to schedule me for a RCS early. Have any of you had luck with a VBAC with a GD diagnosis? Did your providers let you go past 40 weeks?

Thanks so much in advance for your input. I really appreciate it. I'm feeling overwhelmed and scared about this all.

DS born 5/25/09 BFP #2 10/25/11, m/c 11/5/11 BFP #3 1/20/11 EDD 10/1/11 BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Might be going on insulin. Advice?

• Options

You mentioned above "adding tons of protien and fat" - were you given a protien and fat allowance as well?  I know on the couple of occaisions when my number has been above 120, it's because I had either too many carbs or too much fat.  Fat is a major factor as well.

I hope things work out for you!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm sorry. I know how frustrating it can be to follow the diet and still have issues. Have you been exercising as well? I know that walking even for 15 minutes really helps my numbers. My understanding is that with GD they do not allow you to go past your due date due to concerns about the baby's size. I know when I had it with my 1st child, they scheduled induction on my due date even though she was measuring maybe 7.5 - 8lbs. Then, she came on her own 3 days early. I've heard insulin isn't as bad as you think and it makes life much easier. I know you are probably concerned about effects on baby, etc too and I can't speak to those.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Interesting. No, I wasn't given a protein or fat allowance--actually told to eat as much of both as I could handle. They said that fat slows down the absorption of sugar, just like protein does. It hasn't seemed to make a difference for me. I've had high readings at meals with fat levels at both ends of the range. Might be something to play with though. Thanks!
    DS born 5/25/09 BFP #2 10/25/11, m/c 11/5/11 BFP #3 1/20/11 EDD 10/1/11 BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Wow - yeah, I was told that fat can prevent your natural insulin from working to get the sugar out of the blood, therefore keeping your sugar levels high.  I was advised to keep my fat servings to 1-2 at the most for my major meals.  And when I went above that, that's when my levels spiked.

Ditto the advise about activity as well - that helps me too.  Activity draws the sugar from your blood into the muscles.

Give those two things a try and see if it makes a difference.

• Options

Meet with the insulin educator and ask questions. I'm an insulin-dependent diabetic. If you are having keytones, your blood sugars are most certainly higher between the times you are testing. You'll only be on insulin for the rest of your pregnancy. It's easy, and will keep your baby (and you healthy). I can't imagine letting you go beyond 40 weeks being GD, especially if you don't get it under control. Placental breakdown is an issue. You may want to read up on that.

https://www.givingbirthnaturally.com/what-is-gestational-diabetes.html

Read the section on complications for the baby.

GD, it happens, but you do whatever is necessary for your baby. Insulin? You can handle it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was told not to worry about counting anything but carbs. Not that I plan to go overboard with fat, but I was told fat doesn't affect glucose levels.
  • Options

I take walks after meals (even a 5-10 min walk makes a difference). This keeps me from spiking (I have type 1).

Insulin will definitely help keep your numbers down in range. Having the most perfect blood glucose levels as possible is going to determine when and how you will eventually deliver. My doctor said many who don't do well with their diabetes are induced (or c-section) at 37 weeks, but those that do well with diabetes can go to week 39. It all depends on the size of the baby.

It seems like you are well-educated so far on the GD diet. It might not be a bad idea to go on insulin. It's scary at first, but really isn't too bad (and it will definitely be worth it in the end!).  I think once you take insulin and see an improvement in numbers, it will give you some piece of mind (and a bit more freedom as to what you eat and when).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"