Attachment Parenting
Options

I don't even know what to title this but it's about boobs! lol

I breastfed my son until last February when he was 21 months, and it was a really easy transition stopping the nursing which surprised me. He pretty quickly lost all interest in my milk-makers and life went on. Now he is 25 months and all of a sudden he reaches out and grabs a boob for comfort. It has been storming pretty frequently and when he wakes up from the thunder he just reaches out and sets a hand on them and just dozes off instantly! It is such a sudden re-interest in them I don't quite know what to think. Has anyone else experienced this? I know that breastfed children do see the breast as a very comforting thing, but I wasn't aware that some still see it as such a comfort after they're weaned. I tell him "honey can you please hold my hand instead of my boob?" and that works pretty well, but he's just so quick to put a hand on them when he's scared or worried I just don't know where it came from all of a sudden. 

Re: I don't even know what to title this but it's about boobs! lol

• Options
    My daughter has no memory of nursing but sometimes she does sort of, caress them as I rock her? I don't know how to explain it. It's like she's cuddling them. I think it's normal. Redirecting is probably best. My LO does it so infrequently it doesn't bother me.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • Options
    DS settled upon the squishy underside of my arms as a substitute for the boob. He's been weaned about 4mo. I don't know exactly how we got here, but now he'll cry for "mama's squishy arm" which isn't exactly ego boosting and can get annoying in its own way. It's very convenient at night though, and definitely a source of comfort for him.
    The former jen5/03.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Oh jeez, that's really sweet! I am so an example of "you know you've been breastfeeding toddlers too long when..." ha ha.

I would just gently steer him towards your hand, which it sounds like you're doing. I know I've seen toddlers pat boobs a lot, I think part of it is just the age, too.

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    Aww, I think that's cute :) Totally normal! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    My dd stopped nursing at 10 months and still at 3.5 will rub my breast if she is being held and is tired or stressed. The bad part is I'm so used to it that if we are in public I don't always stop her. Oh well at least she is happy;)
  • Options
    This made me giggle a bit because we kind of go through something similar. My son seems to be just about weaned but he still will point at them, touch them, talk about them, etc. He's still little so it isn't a big deal to me right now. I guess he will grow out of it. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

One of my good friends FF her son, he's now 16m, and he will rub/hold her boob for comfort.

I don't know that it's necessarily related to BFing as much as the boobs are just something soft/cuddly that toddlers like lol. I think redirecting him to hold your hand sounds like a fine solution and I'm sure it will go away as he gets older. 

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"