High-Risk Pregnancy

Newly Diagnosed with GD and have milk/coffee question.

I was just diagnosed with GD and now have my meal plan. I go back in a week after logging my numbers.

I was told that if my numbers are 'good' I won't be put  on meds.

I am really worried about breakfast. I have had a grande latte for as long as I can remember! I was told no milk for breakfast. I am going to have to switch to plain coffee. I can't drink it black. Question is what can I put in it? What do you ladies put in your coffee? Can you use creamer?

Also I was told 45-60 grams of carb at dinner. Can you get away with eating frozen pizza that has 50 grams- or will that spike my numbers?

Any recommendations as to websites for meal ideas?

Thanks!

Re: Newly Diagnosed with GD and have milk/coffee question.

• It depends on where your fasting sugars are in the morning and how insulin resistant you are.  My fasting sugars are typically in the 80s and I have a venti skinny vanilla latte in the morning and a piece of bread with peanut butter.  At dinner I could eat a frozen pizza with 50g of carbs and be okay too.  You will just have to try a latte for breakfast and add some protein then take your sugar in an hour and see where your numbers are. Or try having the pizza you want for dinner and take your sugar in an hour and see where you are at.  GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Another idea is to try eating whatever works for your breakfast to keep your numbers right, and then later on in the morning go for the latte as a snack (part or whole snack). I'm supposed to have a mid-morning snack that's 15-30gm carbs, so that would fit into my plan if I were in your situation (not sure what your snack guidelines are).

Also, since it's common your insulin resistance is highest in the morning, by mid-morning it might be better for the milk anyway.

Not sure if that helps, but GL! 

• Loading the player...
  • monkapmonkap member
    Thanks! I will try and have it as a mid-morning snack and see what happens. 
  • I've been a type 1 diabetic for 7 years and LOVE my coffee...so being pregnant and having to watch it makes it even less easy when my cravings kick in. I find having a breve works great. Breve's are made with half/half instead of milk. Higher fat but lower in carbs by A LOT. If I get a decaf breve and sugar free syrup it usually has not had any effect on my blood sugars.

As far as pizza I find it's best to eat it a supper time. For some reason pizza at lunch spikes me. If you want I find eating one less slice than a serving size helps.  Always eat thin crust because there is less carb. Plus make sure to eat a small salad or some veggies with it to get nutrition in for your little one and a nice balance for yourself :)

Hope this helps and good luck
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • monkapmonkap member
    No I have not tested yet as I got all the supplies yesterday afternoon. I will test out how my latte affects my blood sugar today. Keeping my fingers crossed !
  • half and half (although high in fat) is very low in carbs. You can try a tall latte with half and half (warning... it will taste very rich and they might charge extra if you are ordering them from a coffee shop).

Just be careful because caffeine can affect your blood glucose levels a bit. I have type 1 and sometimes I need to cover a plain black coffee because the caffeine will bump me up a little higher. I'm not sure if the effect is as drastic in GD, but it's something to keep in mind. 

Be careful with high fat, high carb foods like frozen pizza. The fat and protein in them delays the absorption of some of the carbs from the crust and sauce. You might see a good number at the 1-2 hour mark, but your blood glucose may spike 3-4 hours later when those carbs finally hit you. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"