Ohio Babies
Options

Getting OB/GYN to write a note that full 12 wk mat leave is necessary?

edited July 2021 in Ohio Babies

Hi all!  I'm new to the boards and Columbus.  I'm not pregnant yet but wondering what to do to prepare.  At my old job in my previous city, it was very well known that all the mothers could easily get their doctors to write notes that they needed the full 12 weeks maternity leave for medical necessity.  Out of a dozen women, none did not get the note, which is great because we got tons and tons of sick time but little vacation.

I'm at a new job where none of the mothers could obtain such a note from their various OB/GYNs.  I'm really wondering if I need to screen my doctor for her willingness to write that note.  Same as my old job, we get tons of sick time (I have 12 weeks now that transferred from my old job) but only 2 weeks vacation a year.  Without the note, we can take the 6 weeks of sick leave and the other 6 has to be vacation or unpaid, regardless of how much sick time we have built up.

I've been once to OB/GYN - Dr. Zochowski in Gahanna - since moving here, for an annual exam.  I didn't think to ask about this issue.  At my old job the women could name all the OBs who wrote those notes, but here in Columbus I don't know of any (none of my coworkers go to Zochowski).  Is this something I should find out?  Anyone know more info?

Re: Getting OB/GYN to write a note that full 12 wk mat leave is necessary?

• Options

Hello!

I personally I have never heard of new mom needing to get a note for 12 weeks of maternity leave. This is typically something that falls under FMLA. Most companies offer 6 weeks of paid maternity leave for vaginal birth and 8 weeks for a c- section. Under FMLA you can take up to 12 weeks off, but only 6 (or 8) will be paid. After the 6/8 weeks you can then use any vacation time you have, after that, it's unpaid.

It's important to also remember that in order to receive these benefits in full you typically have to be with the company for at least a year. Be sure you read up on your company's maternity leave policy.

I hope this helps...

• Options

HI!

I agree to look up the laws written under FLMA, that will help give you a little understanding as far as what the Dept. of Labor determines. I believe a woman is allowed up to 12 weeks... as far as how much of that time your company will pay for or how you work that out with them is another issue, but I believe there cannot be any repercussions towards you if you decide to take the full 12 weeks. As for Dr. Zochowski in Ghanna, I am 22 weeks prego and I have been seeing her since I found out I was prego. She has been amazing through the whole process and I couldn't imagine if I asked her for a note stating I need 12 weeks for maternity leave why should wouldn't oblige. So if/when you get pregnant I would recommend her at least up until this point... I have faith labor/delivery should go smoothly w/ her as well. :) Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I go to Dr. Z as well and they have written me notes for everything under the sun without issue.  Anything from work restrictions, work reinstatements, waivers for vaccinations during pregnancy.  Just ask her or the nurse.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thank you all so much for the replies!  I feel much better :). Much appreciated...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"