December 2010 Moms

Toddler Bed - too soon?

Anyone getting ready to transition to toddle beds? I just found out we are expecting #2 and they will be sharing a room so I would like to get Ryleigh into a toddler bed in about 6 months to get her ready and have the crib for the baby. Any tips from those that have done it already? 

Re: Toddler Bed - too soon?

• We didn't have an issue at all.  But, he bedshared with us before that, so not falling off a bed was already learned...  He still wakes up a few times a night and after I go to bed, I don't feel like fighting the battle, so he sleeps on a floor mat in our room if he wakes up.  He hasn't ever gotten up and wandered or anything though, he just cries in his big boy bed until I come get him.  If you have a wandering kid, I'd put put up a babygate in the doorway at night.

Edit:  We moved him to a toddler bed at about 14 months old, so I don't think it's too early for some kids.  It depends on your kiddo.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We transitioned Jonny about 3 weeks ago and overall he's done great. We had the new bed set up for about a month before we made the transition and we would randomly talk about the new "big boy bed" and how he go "night-night" in it soon. And he would climb in there and pretend to lay down and sleep on there. It was cute. 

He,s only refused to nap on time and he just knocked at the door or played instead of napping. But then he was sick the next day, so I don't know if t had to do with that or not.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We transitioned in April (mostly because we wanted the crib for #2) and A did well. It was easier for night transition than nap but after a week or so he did fine with both.  For a month or so he would cry for less than a minute (but he did that with the crib too) more of just his way of saying he was sad it was bedtime and the playing was over. His room has no toys in it and is pretty bare bones so that he can't get into too much mischief at nap time. (no night light either except for his sea horse.). We did a twin mattress on the floor for about 3 months and just recently put in his bed frame with the bed rail and he has done well. He knows how to get in and out of bed (he has a two step foot stool since it is a captains bed) but he just stays in bed playing seahorse or chattering to himself before I come get him. We did leave his crib in his room the first 2-3 weeks in case the transition was a big fail and we needed to put him back in his crib but he never had huge meltdown and took to the big boy bed like a champ so we moved the crib out and into our room for #2.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thanks girls. I like the idea of the mattress on the floor to start. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"