Stay at Home Moms
Options

My Weekend Off (of thinking)

I made a personal decision that this weekend, I was going to stop making all the decisions.  I would stop thinking, and just let DH run the show and suffer the consequences.  Here's how it went:

Yesterday, we had plans to go to the Yankees game 3.5 hrs. away with ILs (long story).  DS was home with sitters.  Anyway, we decided to take the train.  DH's cousin offered at the last minute for us to follow him by car.  This was a bad idea all around, since FIL would insist on driving, and he is an impatient, inexperienced driver in city traffic.  Also, cousin had an agenda completely different from ours.  DH  then decided we would take the cousin up on the offer.  One bad episode after another, the day was a disaster.  I knew it would be, but it wasn't my place to get between DH, cousin and ILs.  I had no interest in the game and was just along for the ride.  Terrible doesn't begin to describe that day.   

This morning, DH offered to take us to breakfast.  I declined, citing my fatigue, and especially DS' recent behavior in restaurants, as he's learning to walk and is restless.  DH insisted.  H wanted to try a new place, and it took forever to get served.  Meanwhile, I was completely hands off with DS. Our breakfast never came. DH juggled him and was so frustrated with the whole thing, he insisted we just leave.  He got his breakfast at the drive thru at McDonalds on the way home. 

This afternoon, if we hadn't had enough of ILs, we had a family gathering to attend at cousin's house.  I pleaded that we've had enough of each other, but DH insisted.  So we went.  At cousin's house, DS  needed to be supervised, entertained, and tantrums kept under control.  I sat back and left MIL and DH in charge.  As a result, we left early.

Tonight, I feel less tired and more satisfied.  Meanwhile, DH can't stop saying how happy he is that this weekend is over.  Wink 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: My Weekend Off (of thinking)

• Options
    Well, sounds like your weekend was horrible, but if you're happy with the way it went good for you. Why would you let DH put you and your child in horrible situations?
  • Options

I would hardly call leaving my toddler with sitters for the day horrible.  Nor would I call attempting to take him out for breakfast, or taking him to a family member's house for a small get together while under the care of his father (and MIL), putting him in "horrible situations."

I won't tolerate a husband who fails to recognize that parenting is still BOTH of our responsibility- even if we leave the house.  I'm not a SLAVE At Home Mom.  So, for all the days at a restaurant that he watched as I juggled a squirmy DS, a toy and a sippy, or a family party that he ate dinner, dessert, then smoked a cigar, while I supervised DS in a museum- like home and I starved, today I took a step back.  We all survived.  I think we even benefited as a family.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Well, if you don't actually talk to your husband about why you did what you did, and his experience with having to do literally everything, then it was pointless and all you did was torture your partner and nothing is going to change.
  • Options
    I don't agree with all the critiques. I do agree with Que_syrah, though. You need to have a conversation with your DH about the weekend and choices. I think sometimes as moms we make a lot of decisions and the husbands don't know why we do what we do.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageCurlingRocks:

imagelorist202:

I would hardly call leaving my toddler with sitters for the day horrible.  Nor would I call attempting to take him out for breakfast, or taking him to a family member's house for a small get together while under the care of his father (and MIL), putting him in "horrible situations."

I won't tolerate a husband who fails to recognize that parenting is still BOTH of our responsibility- even if we leave the house.  I'm not a SLAVE At Home Mom.  So, for all the days at a restaurant that he watched as I juggled a squirmy DS, a toy and a sippy, or a family party that he ate dinner, dessert, then smoked a cigar, while I supervised DS in a museum- like home and I starved, today I took a step back.  We all survived.  I think we even benefited as a family.

You called the experiences terrible (definition: horrible) in your OP.  We're saying it is silly to put yourself through a situation you consider horrible/miserable/etc. to accomplish what appears to be a passive-aggressive attempt to educate your H about what you feel is unequal parenting.  A conversation is most definitely necessary to accomplish your educational goal.  Without it, he will likely not come to the epiphany you believe he has reached already in being glad the weekend is over. Sorry I wasn't more clear with my original response.

Best of luck!

I called our Yankee game experience terrible, yes.  It involved  2 hrs standing in the pouring rain, and a plethora of difficulties.  I don't even enjoy baseball.  That was Saturday and again, DS was home with sitter.

Obviously, I have had conversations with DH about unequal parenting, or for that matter, decision making.  I've read plenty of posts about it, have plenty of friends/family/acquaintances who live with it, and  have no doubt it will continue with our family.  However, I started out this weekend tired and needing help from him.  If, after communicating how exasperated and fatigued I already am, DH insists on packing up DS for breakfast out, and an afternoon with ILs, I'm going to need a break.  Period.

• Options
    imagelorist202:
    imageCurlingRocks:

imagelorist202:

You called the experiences terrible (definition: horrible) in your OP.  We're saying it is silly to put yourself through a situation you consider horrible/miserable/etc. to accomplish what appears to be a passive-aggressive attempt to educate your H about what you feel is unequal parenting.  A conversation is most definitely necessary to accomplish your educational goal.  Without it, he will likely not come to the epiphany you believe he has reached already in being glad the weekend is over. Sorry I wasn't more clear with my original response.

Best of luck!

I called our Yankee game experience terrible, yes.  It involved  2 hrs standing in the pouring rain, and a plethora of difficulties.  I don't even enjoy baseball.  That was Saturday and again, DS was home with sitter.

Obviously, I have had conversations with DH about unequal parenting, or for that matter, decision making.  I've read plenty of posts about it, have plenty of friends/family/acquaintances who live with it, and  have no doubt it will continue with our family.  However, I started out this weekend tired and needing help from him.  If, after communicating how exasperated and fatigued I already am, DH insists on packing up DS for breakfast out, and an afternoon with ILs, I'm going to need a break.  Period.

Next time, I would just let him take DS.

• Options
    imagelorist202:

I wouldn't tolerate it either...but what you did was passive aggressive and it only seemed to hurt you and your DS.  

• Options
    I don't see it as passive-aggressive as much as a hands-on learning experience. I know when LO was first born I had to leave DH with her alone with a list of chores in order for him to understand why I was struggling to get much done with her around. Some people just learn by doing. No matter how many times I tried to explain it to DH he didn't get it. He definitely understood after my little experiment. The house was complete chaos. We all survived and our relationship is better because we are able to better appreciate each other's contributions to our family. 
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Options

imagelexusolsen:
    I don't see it as passive-aggressive as much as a hands-on learning experience. I know when LO was first born I had to leave DH with her alone with a list of chores in order for him to understand why I was struggling to get much done with her around. Some people just learn by doing. No matter how many times I tried to explain it to DH he didn't get it. He definitely understood after my little experiment. The house was complete chaos. We all survived and our relationship is better because we are able to better appreciate each other's contributions to our family. 

I agree.  My DH can't quite understand why I'm so tired & frustrated when he gets home from work.  When he has her for a day or weekend he understands. 

• Options
    imageMom2Mack1:

imagelexusolsen:

I agree.  My DH can't quite understand why I'm so tired & frustrated when he gets home from work.  When he has her for a day or weekend he understands. 

I agree. Sometimes when I'm trying to make a point to DH and conversation isn't working (as related to child rearing) I also take a step back. I'll go run some errands alone, let him have more time with DD to remind him it's not always as easy as he thinks. Having perfect communication is not reality. Conversations don't always sink in. Using a different method to make a point, which I'm sure we've all left our kids with our spouses so they can understand our side of things, that didn't harm anyone isn't a big deal. The kid had a meltdown, those happen regardless who takes care of your kid and yes your spouse needs to be skilled at handling those too.

Took 2 years & 8 months to make our baby! Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I don't get the critism. I totally have done the same thing. Some men only learn by doing. DH would always sit back and relax, leaving me to watch DD while visiting (for example people with big dogs, non-child-proofed homes, etc). No matter how many times we discussed it prior, he would still not do his part. So I had to just let DD do her thing (as long as she wasn't in danger). It took her breaking some stuff at his friend's house to get him to do his part. Now we share equally in the parenting duties while out lol!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageCurlingRocks:
    imagelorist202:

You do not mention talking to him about it in your OP; there is nothing "obvious" about you having a conversation that you didn't make any mention of.  Responders can't know details you don't provide.  Based off the information in your OP, the men I know would have been highly unlikely to have gotten "I need to be more involved with the household responsibilities, and I'll do X, Y, and Z to fix it."  They would have been more likely to be thinking any/all of the following:

"Cousin should not be in charge of planning family events."

"Wife is extra crabby this weekend.  PMS?  I'll bring her a Snickers bar tomorrow."

"Kid was crazy squirrely this weekend.  Less sugar for him."

"Slim's Diner has a slim chance of us returning. Bad service=squirrely kid and angry wife."

"Wife is way better at handling all these duties, so I'll just let her handle them in the future."

If you want him to help you more, you need to be overly specific about what you want him to do to help.  (i.e. "DH, I am exhausted and don't feel up to going to the baseball game today.  Lets keep the sitter, and I'll take some much needed me time.  We'll both come back refreshed.  Maybe your friend Joe can go.")  If you don't feel up to outings, you have the right to say no thank you. You seem to have gone out of obligation, which doesn't make it your H's fault. 

If you don't think anything is going to change, I don't see how this exercise was beneficial in any way.  Based off the information you've posted in this thread you have a passive-aggressive confrontational style and are probably not communicating your needs effectively.  I recommend getting some help on these issues to help you change your situation for the future.

By your reactions to my and other replies in this thread, I think you believe I'm passing a judgement on you.  I'm not.  I'm trying to help you change a problem you've described in an effective way.  Passive-aggression is not a healthy confrontational style.  And communication is difficult for everyone because so many factors can influence whether or not the message gets across.  I don't think I've ever met a person who has never had trouble communicating or difficulty confronting someone effectively.  There is no shame in seeking improvement of a skill.

ETA: Your decision to do whatever your H wanted you to do was a choice.  You can't blame that one on anyone but yourself.

I will go a step further and say it was passive aggressive and totally bitchy. I can't stand when people play games in relationships. Man up, act like an adult and talk to your husband. I would be livid if DH took a weekend off instead of talking to me and treating me with respect. Own it, and stop defending your actions.
  • Options
    I also havE to ask why in the world do people have children with men that they can't communicate with or men who don't respect them. I tell SH I am worn our and he takes over, it does not involve playing games because he respects me and listens. 
  • Options

imageAndrewsgal:
    I also havE to ask why in the world do people have children with men that they can't communicate with or men who don't respect them. I tell SH I am worn our and he takes over, it does not involve playing games because he respects me and listens. 

How can they understand if they have not experienced a similar situation? They have nothing to relate it to. My DH was never rude about his expectations for a clean house- in fact, he was very respectful. However, he had never been alone with the baby AND have an expectation of getting things done. Once he had the experience he was able to relate to what I was actually saying.

OP said the. Baseball tickets were a Christmas gift from her ILs, which is why she felt obligated to go.  If I am remembering the OP correctly, she tried to talk her H out of going out to eat... If H has never had the pleasure of entertaining a cranky toddler at a restaurant, he doesn't understand that it is a bigger deal than he realizes. I don't understand why OP doing whatever DH wanted to do is bitchy. Should she have argued with him over all of these details instead? I'm sure she would have been flamed for that too...

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Options

imageAndrewsgal:

I agree.   I tell my husband that I am tired and he takes over completely.   Now that we have three we are always splitting duties or tag teaming so nobody gets too frustrated.

Smiley: April '05 Rocky: May '06 Tex: July '09
  • Options

I don't an issue with letting DH learn by doing if he was actually aware of what you were doing and you had discussed it before and after. 

I know one of my biggest parenting issues is I make what I do on daily basis seem easy to DH.  I don't ask for help enough which causes stress for everyone.  I've found telling DH specifically what I need is much easier and more effective.  (Side note: Look at restaurant's menu online in advance if you can, so you can order as soon as you get seated, even if it's just for the toddler.)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageCnAmom:
    imageAndrewsgal:
    I agree with this. Being passive aggressive in any situation isn't going to get you anywhere and will probably just cause a lot of frustration. But then my H understands that this child raising thing is a 50/50 proposition and we don't have this problem. I guess I just thought that there was a mutual agreement made when two people decide to have children together.

I think you missed the point of the OP.

It's not a game.  It's not being passive-aggressive.  If I tell him- bad idea- and he still insists, I'm not going to kill myself trying to accommodate his wishes.  He is the father of this toddler and my husband, so he can take responsibility for his own decisions.  This weekend, he did.  Further, there is no animosity between he and I.  

If your H takes your advice each and every time you make an alternate suggestion than his, than it's great that works for you.  Every family works differently.

• Options
    imagelorist202:

imageCnAmom:
    imageAndrewsgal:
    I agree with this. Being passive aggressive in any situation isn't going to get you anywhere and will probably just cause a lot of frustration. But then my H understands that this child raising thing is a 50/50 proposition and we don't have this problem. I guess I just thought that there was a mutual agreement made when two people decide to have children together.

I think you missed the point of the OP.

It's not a game.  It's not being passive-aggressive.  If I tell him- bad idea- and he still insists, I'm not going to kill myself trying to accommodate his wishes.  He is the father of this toddler and my husband, so he can take responsibility for his own decisions.  This weekend, he did.  Further, there is no animosity between he and I.  

If your H takes your advice each and every time you make an alternate suggestion than his, than it's great that works for you.  Every family works differently.

Obviously if you have to play passive aggressive games and everyone is miserable for a weekend to get your point across it does not seem to work for your family!
  • Options
    This is awesome.  Some DH's only learn by doing....and from the sounds of it your DH learned how how hard you work everyday of the week.  Good for you!
    3/10 IVF #1 TWINS! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Grrr I am irrationally irritated by the whole some DH's only learn by being treated like children in a bitchy way by their wives. WTH do people marry these idiots then reproduce with them? Or maybe there is just a massive communication breakdown in the marriage. There is no way there are that many dumb DHs out there.
  • Options

imageAndrewsgal:
    Grrr I am irrationally irritated by the whole some DH's only learn by being treated like children in a bitchy way by their wives. WTH do people marry these idiots then reproduce with them? Or maybe there is just a massive communication breakdown in the marriage. There is no way there are that many dumb DHs out there.

Well, how else could some of these SAHM's play the "martyr card"? LOL!

I don't like the whole "I'm going to teach my DH a lesson without him knowing"........

And when I take a weekend OFF, I take the weekend OFF - I don't go ANYWHERE with my DH and kids. he's on duty........oh, and I tell him that I'm taking the weekend off...... 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Options

imageAndrewsgal:

Seriously! Whenever I see posts like that I wonder where these women find these men. And what were they like before they had kids? 

• Options
    imageHarrietNJMommy:

imageAndrewsgal:

Well, how else could some of these SAHM's play the "martyr card"? LOL!

I don't like the whole "I'm going to teach my DH a lesson without him knowing"........

And when I take a weekend OFF, I take the weekend OFF - I don't go ANYWHERE with my DH and kids. he's on duty........oh, and I tell him that I'm taking the weekend off...... 

Exactly...but of course, my husband is also smart enough to see when something is a bad idea. So there's that too. 

• Options
    Be sure to keep us posted on how this has improved things for you. I'm sure your one weekend of not thinking really set him straight.
    Audrey Elizabeth 11-11-06 image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"