Natural Birth
Options

XP: Twin moms?

Ok twin mommas I need a pep talk.  I am a labor doula and originally was planning a homebirth until we found out we were having twins and were risked out.  Now I feel like so much is out of my control.  I am being forced to deliver in an OR cause that is hospital rules.  I have to have an IV (not just a heplock), be on constant monitoring, deliver on my back in stirrups, because that is hospital regulations.  It goes against everything I have ever been taught about labor. I know these things may be necessary for the safety of myself and the babies but I hate that I have to utilize them even if they are not needed.

I have looked everywhere in my state and there is no reasonable alternative (ie birthing center, homebirth midwives, etc)  and every time we go to our centering (group centered prenatal care) group I get more and more depressed as we discuss labor, delivery, and birth since I can answer the questions yet nothing applies to me only to the other couples in the groups who are having singletons. I have come home crying from the last two visits because I am jealous that they are so "normal" and I'm not.

Please tell me that there are positive hospital birth stories and that this is not going to be the medical nightmare that I am envisioning.  Please tell me that I will get past this once the babies are in my arms and that I wont continue to mourn the birth I always dreamed of (these may be our only babies - it took a lot of fertility treatments to get here).

We welcomed our girls on 11.7.12 @ 40w0d!
Emerson Lily 6 lbs 13 oz & Ellis Willow 6 lbs 9 oz

Re: XP: Twin moms?

• Options

Have you talked to your doctor about some of those things? You probably aren't going to be able to get out of delivering in the OR. But your doctor can over ride hospital protocol on things like the position you deliver in and constant monitoring. As a doula I KNOW you have access to all the research that states that there is no benefit to EITHER of those things and that it regularly leads to unnecessary interventions. Would bringing in some very valid research maybe persuade your doctor to alter things for you? If you can get your doctor on your side and come up with a birth plan that is agreeable to both of you and your doctor signs off on it, then if you run into trouble at the hospital you can say, "My doctor okayed this. I have his signature on it."

You're going to get no where fast with the hospital, but I'd say that you might have a bit of hope with your doctor.  I'm sorry it sounds like the birth you want is not likely to happen. Will they require an induction or can you stay home for as long as possible? 

• Options

I had my twins in a homebirth.  So this might not be a help.

https://helena-zita.xanga.com/637714976/unassisted-twin-birth-written-by-me--/

I met a woman who was carrying twins. She had to deliver in the OR because the increase risk of after the birth of first twin the second twin could go into distress. I heard that both of her twins were born vaginally.

I just reviewing the rules in my state of FL for risking out for home birth just yesterday. 

"If the risk factor score reaches 3 points the midwife shall consult with a physician who has obstetrical hospital privileges and if there is a joint determination that the patient can be expected to have a normal pregnancy, labor and delivery the midwife may provide services to the patient."

There is a risk score form that a licensed midwife must fill-out/calculate for all his/her clients. If the score is 3 or greater the client is risk-out. But if an OB determine that a home birth is fine then client can have a home birth. This the common way that home birth VBACs are permitted in my state.

Perhaps there is a loop hole like this where you live.  

BabyFetus Ticker

Birth is safe as life gets - Harriette Hartigan

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My Bradley instructor had a natural birth with twins in a hospital, her birth story is one of several posted at her website naturalbirthmama.com,  under birth storys, Lily and Logan.  So I know it can happen, good luck!
    image image image

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Well, I am not a twin mom but am a twin myself. I am so sorry you are getting cornered by the "high risk" label these days (we just had another set born in our family where the interventions were over the top and caused issues. Sigh). Do you have anyone to help you advocate for you while you are in labor? As another pp asked, have you shared all these concerns with your doctors? Is the OB aware that you are a labor coach and have confidence in your abilities?

It's a shame because as you know, twins can definitely be safely delivered naturally and vaginally. and it definitely happens in other states/locales. My twin sister and I arrived with no problems! (My mother and the OB didn't even know she was having twins, although the OB had prepped her for a c-section thinking she was having a 12+lb baby. But she was able to avoid the c-section). I think finding a supportive OB and communication with your OB about your wishes is key.

• Options
    Twins are not allowed to be delivered by homebirth midwives or in birthing centers in my state either.  I think they are allowed in surrounding states though, so I would maybe look into the states surrounding you and see if you can find a mw who would talk to you about it, if it would be possible for you to travel.  I've read a few twin hb stories like this where the family "moved" to another state for a few weeks to deliver the babies safely in a home environment.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"