Toddlers: 24 Months+

Talking

My little man just made 2 on the 1st of July and he's still not talking. His doctor says that his developing great. What can I do as a parent to get him talking?? Do anyone else have this problem??

Re: Talking

• By talking, be more specific - is he not using any words at all?  As in Mama, Dada, Hi, Bye?  Those are some of the more common toddler words.  My ds had a year of speech in EI and will be working with a speech pathologist at his preschool.

I would start out by having him evaluated by your state EI services if you're really concerned.  They can determine if there's really a delay or if your child is on track.  How is your ds's temperament?  I have found that the more my ds can communicate the less angry and frustrated he is.

Hope that helps! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If you are concerned push your pedi for a speech evaluation.  It is a state service that is available until age three and it can take a few months to finally get into therapy if your child qualifies so I would do it soon.  I pushed our pedi to get DD evaluated at her 2 year appointment and she didn't start receiving therapy until close to 2 1/2. 

DD has expressive/articulation disorder.  She "talks" non-stop but no one can understand her most of the time.  She didn't qualify according to her evaluation score but the evaluators still qualified her based on her frustration level and refusal to mimic. 

Good luck.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Long before I was a mommy, I was the primary care taker for a little boy from the time he was 2 til' he was almost 4.  When I first got him the kid said hardly any words at all, then just one day out of the blue he started singing a song w/me that was on the radio and just started talking up a storm. 

My DS has always been a good talker, he learned his abc's and numbers and stuff pretty early.  Then when he went to school started talking really well. Funny though, I always try to get him to do his ABC's and he wouldn't.  I honestly didn't think he knew, or would ever learn (LOL), his ABC's.  Yesterday I hear him in the tub singing his ABC's over and over. Little brat!

Don't fret, keep reading, talking and singing to him, let him watch some random  cartoons every now and then and he'll chat away when he wants to. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If your child doesn't have 50 words and isn't stringing 2 words together, I would call early intervention for an evalution. You don't need a pediatrician's referral to get his language evaluated and the service is free in most areas (or very low cost). A speech therapist would be helpful in getting ways to help him to be able to communicate.

If you mean he isn't talking as in carrying on a conversation/speaking in sentences, I would just give him time.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sorry I should have been more specific.. His vocabulary consist of maybe 30 words. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"