Babies: 3 - 6 Months

For those of you feeding baby purees....

When did you know that it was time to move past formula only?? I realize the recommendation is for babies to not start rice cereal or first foods until they are at least six months. Did any of your babies exhibit signs that formula just didn't seem like enough? My LO is 4 months and eating 7 ounces every 2 to 2.5 hours. In the evenings, he just seems as if the milk is just not enough and I end up feeding him every hour until bedtime. I realize I will also be speaking to his ped about this, so I'm just trying to relate from other mommies out there. Thanks!!

Re: For those of you feeding baby purees....

• Some peds actually say 4 months because of allergies. Each ped is different. I just started my daughter and she's 4 1/2 months. I started her on sweet potatoes. I'm doing just 1 meal a day (dinner). I knew she was ready when she started watching my every move when I ate, reaching for it and smacking her mouth.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageF15Wife:
    Some peds actually say 4 months because of allergies. Each ped is different. I just started my daughter and she's 4 1/2 months. I started her on sweet potatoes. I'm doing just 1 meal a day (dinner). I knew she was ready when she started watching my every move when I ate, reaching for it and smacking her mouth.

This.  We started lo at almost exactly 4 months for the same reasons.  Per his pedi we are now doing oatmeal w/ fruit for breakfast (second feeding of the day, he is just too hungry to wait at the first one) and rice cereal with veggie at dinner (about an hour before bed). Once we run out of the box of cereal, we'll just do straight purees.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We just started my LO on banana & BM puree this weekend. The Pedi said we could start whenever with whatever. I had planned to wait longer, but she's been giving me hints that she's ready since 3 months. I wasn't really sure until we tried it! I wasn't expecting much, but she finished an entire baby bullet lvl 1 serving! (up to the smiley face on the jar.) And then still took 6oz of BM after that. She loved it and got very upset every time I took the spoon away to get more.
  • My guy was a week and a half shy of 5 months when I started him on avocado pur?e.  I wanted to wait until 6 months of EBF before solids but he started REALLY showing interest in our food a few weeks prior.  That week, I was eating oatmeal and he leaned over and stuck both hands in the bowl and tried shoving them in his mouth which I figured was justhim sticking his hands in his mouth but then I would nurse for an hour and he would be screaming because he was still hungry.  I started with avocado, then sweet potato, then banana and now he's eating banana avocado mix.  I have a ton made and frozen though as well (peaches, pears, plums, green beans, beets, zucchini, apples, melon, etc).  If you have a deep freezer you can freeze for up to several months which is nice!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Our pedi also recommends 4 months.  We waited until this past week, so just a couple days shy of 5 months because she was still completely satisfied with BM.  We started with mashed up avocado mixed with a little bit of breastmilk and she LOVES it!  She grabs the spoon and shoves it into her own mouth and smiles the whole time.  She's had a little bit more gas, but I figure that's just because it's something new on her tummy.

• imageTristansMom01:
    My guy was a week and a half shy of 5 months when I started him on avocado pur?e.  I wanted to wait until 6 months of EBF before solids but he started REALLY showing interest in our food a few weeks prior.  That week, I was eating oatmeal and he leaned over and stuck both hands in the bowl and tried shoving them in his mouth which I figured was justhim sticking his hands in his mouth but then I would nurse for an hour and he would be screaming because he was still hungry.  I started with avocado, then sweet potato, then banana and now he's eating banana avocado mix.  I have a ton made and frozen though as well (peaches, pears, plums, green beans, beets, zucchini, apples, melon, etc).  If you have a deep freezer you can freeze for up to several months which is nice!

Thanks for your experience...I received a Baby Baeba food maker and I definitely plan on putting it to use. Do you use a particular cookbook for baby food recipes, or do you just find them on the internet? My LO hasn't been giving me signs as far as being interested in our food, its just that his formula just never seems enough to satisfy him. My plan was always to not switch him until around 7ish months b/c he was 5 weeks early, so I've certainly got my concerns with him having been a preemie. I'm tossing the ideas around in my head, but thank you all for your experience. Sometimes, it's hard figuring out what these babies want!

• My son is eating 7 oz bottles 5-6 times a day and started recently waking up in the middle of the night hungry (nothing will calm him down except food) when he was STTN for a while. I'm fairly certain formula isn't enough for him. He's also a really big boy- 18 lbs 4 oz, almost 26 inches at 4 months. We started him on cereal a few days ago and he was literally grabbing at the spoon and had no trouble with it at all. I would have liked to have waited a little longer since it's more work to do solids but I think he was definitely ready. I think the issue now is that spoon feeding is too slow for him- he gets frustrated with us :)

• We started DS at 4 months. Our pedi said that it was fine to start solids because he was sitting upright and had great head control.  He definitely is still getting used being spoonfed, so he only eats about 0.5-1oz of solid food.  I give him bottle first, and then for breakfast oatmeal cereal, and then bottle and a veggie for dinner. I just follows his cues and he definitely lets me know when he is finished. The first few times I had to thin out the puree with lots of formula, almost soupy, because he did not like the thick texture, but now he is getting used to the thick texture and eating a little more and more.

https://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/index.htm

this site is a great guide for starting baby on solids. I started Jonathan with avocado first, and then i gave him some oatmeal cereal.  he's also had sweet potatoes and green beans, and he is loving it

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimage
  • I breastfeed, so I can't compare notes on the number of ounces. However, I was planning to wait six months and started earlier because a) he still seemed hungry in the evenings after nursing so I was nursing more often, and b) every time we eat or drink anything, he makes chewing motions with his mouth and tries to grab our food/drink. 
  • I gave LO some rice cereal mixed with his formula this morning and he loved it!!! Apparently I was moving a little too slow with the whole spoon action so after about 15 minutes he had a meltdown, but I'm thankful he liked it!! I'm not sure when/ how long you wait to do purees, but I'm going to hold off until his pedi appt next week!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"