Cloth Diapering

Tell me about your Alvas?

pros, cons? TIA!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Tell me about your Alvas?

• Pros: Well made, cute prints

Cons: Hard to navigate website, long shipping time, made/shipped from China

I love my alva pockets.  I don't use them a lot because we're a prefold and cover family, but I do like the ones I have.  As long as you don't mind the long shipping time, I'd recommend it.

July '15 siggy challenge: Thanksgiving fails
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickersPitaPata Cat tickers
  • I ordered an alva from here and got in about 3 days, easy peasy! :)

https://www.superstash.net/ 

I really like it. The fabric is kind of looser like a kawaii, but it's trimmer and not as saggy. I prefer it to a kawaii and may build a big part of my stash from them since they are so inexpensive. 

photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imagenamara5532:

Pros: Well made, cute prints

I love my alva pockets.  I don't use them a lot because we're a prefold and cover family, but I do like the ones I have.  As long as you don't mind the long shipping time, I'd recommend it.

I ordered mine from Superstash.net. It was way easy to navigate and I got it in two days. Maybe try them? I was going to go through the site but it was terrifying just to look at! lol

• imageCarlaAndJames:

I ordered an alva from here and got in about 3 days, easy peasy! :)

I really like it. The fabric is kind of looser like a kawaii, but it's trimmer and not as saggy. I prefer it to a kawaii and may build a big part of my stash from them since they are so inexpensive. 

ha great minds! 

Do you have any leaks or anything with yours? Does your LO have skinny or chunky legs? I haven't put mine on LO yet because he's pretty small.  

• imageAliciaS1411:
    imageCarlaAndJames:

I ordered an alva from here and got in about 3 days, easy peasy! :)

ha great minds! 

Do you have any leaks or anything with yours? Does your LO have skinny or chunky legs? I haven't put mine on LO yet because he's pretty small.  

She's definitely on the thin side, and we didn't have any problems, but she's only worn it twice (fairly sure she had a big poop in it one of the times though). It has several rise options with a lot of snaps for it (again like a kawaii) but after figuring out which sets of snaps I wanted it on everywhere it seemed like a good fit.  

photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
  • They are well-made, very cute patterns, well priced and work well...

but we don't use ours anymore because I got it in my head that they bypass Canadian inspections/quality control... so remembering the lead scare in toys from a few years back, I got freaked out... Not that there is necessarily anything wrong with them... I just freaked myself out too much...and DH was nervous about it too. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have 3 Alvas and just got them recently. The rest of my stash is Kawaiis. I think they fit similarly to the Kawaii Originals. I like them a lot and they work well on DD but maybe not quite as well as the Kawaiis. They are a little lesser quality but pretty darn good diapers for the price. I ordered from their site directly and I think it took 2 or 3 weeks to get to me. Honestly I would just order from them unless you're in a hurry for some reason in order to save a little money since they have free shipping on all orders.
  • Half of my stash is Alvas and I love them just as much, if not more than my more expensive diapers (Rumparooz, Charlie Banana, BG, Baby Kangas). Very absorbant and keept everything in, no blow outs or leaks yet. Love the prints they come in too and for the price to quality (to me) they can't be beat.

Only con was that they are just starting to fit her now at 14lbs and she`s a chunky girl. It wasn`t a real con for us because the other half of my stash fit her fine so she'll basically grow out of her prefolds and then the Alvas will be the main part of the stash. I have a good provider I get them from on eBay so they get to me in about a week.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• I can't keep my Alva's from leaking out the legs.  They last maybe an hour before they start to leak where my BG's easily last 3 without any leaking.  I think she might just not be big enough even though she is 14 lbs.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • imagenamara5532:

Pros: Well made, cute prints

This.  I don't have any, but 2 of my neighbors LOVE them.

• I just finally picked up a few.

Pros: cute prints, low cost, easy to use

Cons: thin PUL, only come with one insert

I also got some of the 4 layer inserts that are bamboo outer/MF inner. Two of those got us through overnight and were trimmer than my usual night pockets. I really like those inserts.

Overall, I think I still prefer my Kawaii's, but there's nothing wrong with the Alva's and they do have better prints.

• imagelindy27:
    I can't keep my Alva's from leaking out the legs.  They last maybe an hour before they start to leak where my BG's easily last 3 without any leaking.  I think she might just not be big enough even though she is 14 lbs.

I think this could be a body shape issue for you, maybe not a "poundage" thing. I had the exact same problem with Kawaii Ultrasofts, but the Originals and also the Alvas work great for her. I'm currently selling them because I just can't keep waiting and hoping that she will "grow into them". Alvas might not work on your DD- just my 2 cents.

• We just recently switched pretty much our entire stash to Alva's.  Can't beat the price.  We had mostly GroVia AI2's but DS got a FB as a birthday gift and I loved it, so I ordered a few Alva's (took 15 days to get to me in Canada) and we loved them.

I sold my GV stash and got back what I paid for them and now I don't have to worry about keeping the Alva's stain free etc because I don't plan on selling them when we're done.  Oh and I got a whole stash for well under $100, can't complain about that...or the prints!

PCOS Clomid x 4 = BFN Met, Femara, Trigger x3 = BFP! EDD: May 18, 2011 Baby Boy born May 13, 2011 via emergency C section Our Friday the 13th miracle!
  • Pros - cheap, huge selection of prints & colours, free shipping

Cons - long shipping time, cut/sizing of diapers aren't consistent. The ones with more squarish tabs are cut a lot slimmer/smaller than the ones with rounded tabs. The squarish tab pockets started fitting our DD at 3 months, I tried the rounded tabs about a month ago again and they still gape at her legs even on the smallest rise setting.

I love that some of their diapers come with a bamboo lining and bamboo insert - the bamboo insert is super-duper trim. You can also buy the inserts separately. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"