Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Anyone trying Sleep Sense?

A friend of mine recommended the Sleep Sense program to me to try with my LO. My friend did it and loved it, but she has the most easygoing baby I've ever seen. My DS is a bit needy and has been resistant to naps for quite a while, so I wasn't sure how it would go for us. The premise is that you put the baby to bed awake so that he learns how to put himself to sleep without "props" like being rocked, having a pacifier, etc. So far, we've been doing the strategies for 2 days and nights. The nights have been easiest b/c he was already used to sleeping in his crib for "night night." Having very little light at night also helps.

The naps have been harder. Yesterday when I put him down for his first nap, he protested LOUDLY for 2 hours (with a break in between as the program advises). It was probably the hardest thing I've ever sat through, but we hung in there and he finally fell asleep. (It's not a "cry it out" program, but she does explain there will be some crying involved and gives steps for how to help LO cope.) I kind of cheated on the second nap b/c I was feeling so strung out from earlier, and I let him have his pacifier to fall asleep. Both naps were only about 30-40 minutes long, and by the evening he was so tired that I let him nap in the k'tan so he would get a longer nap in. Fast forward to today...I put him down for his first nap, and he fussed for about 3-5 minutes before he fell asleep. He only slept for 30 minutes, but it was so great to look at him on the monitor and see him snoozing away. Now he is down for his 2nd nap, and he didn't even make a peep when I put him down!!! He just got all relaxed and went right to sleep! I know it's only the beginning, but I am so glad that it looks like he's catching on so quickly.

Is anyone else trying this program?  Has it helped your LO with sleeping independently?

Re: Anyone trying Sleep Sense?

• You let your baby cry for 2 hours...?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • At this age I never worried about where my kids napped the way I see it newborns sleep when needed where they want to sleep and when.  DD napped at least once a day in her swing until she was almost 5 months.  Once she naturally moved into a nap schedule I started with the crib.  First was the morning nap, and then the evening nap and last was her long nap in the middle of the day.  My pedi said not to worry about any type of sleep training until after 4 months and that a routine should be in place by 6 because after 6 months it will be harder to get them off any props they may have. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imagejennyann28:
    You let your baby cry for 2 hours...?

This. Hmm

red

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I haven't done this but I am able to put him down drowsy and he will fall asleep himself.  If he fusses though I try things like the paci or rocking but it doesn't take much of it to get him sleeping.  I follow his cues though for when he is tired during the day and don't have him on a sleeping schedule.  I do however use a nighttime routine for bedtime which is about 8pm.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  • Yes, he cried off and on for two hours with me right there beside him, patting him, loving on him, and cuddling him. The thing is, he does this whether I am holding him or not. He cries a lot some days. My dr just told me he is "high maintenance." It's not fun. I figured that I had nothing to lose with trying sleep training if it helps him learn to sleep. Maybe I am desperate. At this point, I am starting to feel like he's not going to be a good napper. He did fine for the first two naps today and then totally refused to sleep anywhere but in our arms for the rest of the day. DH is feeding him and supposed to put him to bed b/c I am exhausted.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"