C-sections
Options

scheduled csection - when to have DD visit?

I really wanted to get the first appointment of the day, but the earliest they could get me in was 12:45.  I can deal with the not eating part, but I'm more concerned about how long it will  be before I'm with it and DD can come visit.

Do you think she could come around 6 or 7, will that be enough time?  I just would like to see her and introduce her to the baby so she can tell all her friends the next day. Even if she only stays for 15 minutes or so, I would like to have her come that day but I also don't want DD to see me all out of it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: scheduled csection - when to have DD visit?

• Options

I don't have a "set" time. It's usually when I'm in my room. DH will go home and bring the other kid(s).

I think 6 or 7 is a good idea. Plenty of time for you to have your c-section and recover before your DD comes.

GL! 

image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Options

Depends.

I was scheduled for 8 am, and didn't get in to the OR till 12noon because of other emergencies. So you're "12:45" might turn in to 3 or 4 pm.

Also, you can't move/walk for about 6 hours post c/s, so if you have your c/s around 1 pm, you might JUST be getting out of bed at 7 pm. If you want DD to come while you're bed-ridden / can't move, that's fine, but otherwise, if you want to be able to sit on a chair or something, you should wait till 8 pm or later or the next day.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

My parents had DS with them while I was having LO. I had DD at 945 and got moved into my own room around 12ish. They all came by shortly after I got in my room. Worst.idea.ever. I was puking from the medication (which I didnt do the first time) and totally out of it. DS was really stressed out seeing me in bed like that.

I know this isn't always the most recommended option here, but I would wait until the next day where you have the catheter out and you're up out of bed/able to get around a bit. I will definitely do this next time.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    When my second was born, it was just after midnight, and my oldest was staying with my parents.  He had preschool in the morning, so by the time he got to come see me it was about 3pm.  Which was fine with me, I still had to explain the catheder and IVs when he some in, and I think he was a little freaked out, but it was good.  With this one, my c/s is booked (I went into labour before my date with the other two)  so I am thinking they will come in around suppertime, since I am booked for 930 in the morning this time!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We don't have a date set in stone just yet, but the date that is up in the air is the day before my due date. It's a school day, but with DS being only 4 he only goes for a half day. I'm still hoping to go in as early as we can so maybe by the time he gets picked up and eats lunch maybe I'll be done and will be ok. With my first c-section I was fine about an hour later and had friends visiting so I'm hoping I'll be ok by the time DS can come. My FI and I haven't really talked about it but his parents will be here and I know they'll be waiting at the hospital as anxious as they are. So I think we might even play it by ear and see how I'm feeling.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

When I had my c/s with DD2, it happened at 7am.  DD1 was just shy of 2 yo and she was among the first people to see us when I came back to recovery.  My mom brought her and our older son to see DH and I and meet the new baby.

She came to visit us in the hospital every day for a few hours.  My mom would bring her in the morning, take her home for a nap and lunch, and then bring her back in the afternoon. 

FWIW, I wasn't "out of it" at all - with either c/s.  I was very aware before, during and after my surgeries.

• Options
    DS was only 17 months, and he was at the hospital during my RCS.  The grandparents were watching him and wanted to be there.  He came up to my room as soon as I was moved there from recovery, and spent about 30 minutes meeting the baby, snuggling up to me in my bed, and playing around the room.  That was just enough time and he didn't seem to notice/care that I wasn't up and moving.
    the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

DD will not be coming till the next day.  That first day there is just too much going on and I want to be able to pay as much attention to her as possible.  I also don't need her climbing all over me when my catheter is still in. 

BFP #1 5/10/06 ...m/mc @11.5w 6/29/06 D&C 6/30/06
    BFP #2 10/29/08 ...stillborn via c/s @41w 7/20/09
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    missing my baby everyday
    BFP #3 1/20/10 My angel's little sister Grace Madison was born September 8th 2010 @37w. We're so blessed! Thank you angel for getting her here safely.
    BFP #4 12/30/11. Jackson Christopher 8/22/2012 via repeat c/s @ 37w 3d
  • Options
    I was also thinking not until the next day. I am first on the schedule, but I know that can change. The earliest would be in the afternoon after DS naps, I don't need a cranky toddler there!! If not then then after he gets up and eats breakfast the next day. I know though with my mom being in town we'll want to see each other so I may see if my neighbor can watch DS while DH brings my mom in to see us.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I had DD at 3:01 pm and ended up being in recovery until 8ish.  I was so wiped out, I asked my parents to wait until the next day to bring DS.  But I had a bad reaction to the epidural and some bleeding in recovery, so my experience might not have been typical.  It was kind of nice for DH and me to have DD all to ourselves for one night.

DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Options

I was the first case of the day at 7 am and was out of recovery and back to my room with baby and hubby by about 9:30am.  DS was 2.5 yo at the time and was at home with my Mom and Grandma.  We left things open ended and just told him we were going to the hospital to get his baby sister out of mommy's tummy and "later" Grandma would bring him up to see us.  This seemed to satisfy him and leave it to where we would kind of wait and see how things were going before making any promises to him about when he could come see us.  We called my Mom about an hour after getting settled in our room to tell her they could come over and at that point we had already nursed the baby and I was able to start sitting up in bed.  DS and my Mom came about 11:30am, DH went and met them in the waiting area and brought just DS in first and we had about 10-15 minutes with just the 4 of us before the Grandmas joined us.  I was totally with it and not sick at all in really in no pain because the spinal was still working.  I was not able to get out of bed but I was able to sit up.  DS was a little nervous about me being in the bed and wouldn't come sit with me but he did sit on the couch with my hubby and hold the baby.  He stayed about half an hour and then my DH took him out to lunch and left the Grandmas to fawn over me and the baby for about an hour before returning with DS.  He visited for another 15-20 minutes and then the Grandmas took him home for a nap and DH stayed with me.  It worked out as well as I could have asked for honestly.  The following day the Grandmas brought him up for about an hour in the morning and at that I was able to get up so I made a point to be sitting up in a chair and dressed in my own clothes and that certainly helped him be more comfortable.  I went home the next day so he didnt come to the hospital that day.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    nealblnealbl member
    Mine will be at 8:30am. I should be in recovery by 9:30am unless there are delays, probably even sooner. Recovery is an hour and then you can have visitors. DD naps around 12:00 so I told my Mom to play it by ear and if she thinks DD is crabby to ler her nap and then bring her but if she is ok to go ahead and bring her before nap. We did say we would call when we were ready. I just want to make sure I am feeling well. I was last time but I don't want DD there if I am not well and then her being upset about that.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We're waiting until the next day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"